Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Air Berlin transatlantic award availability in different programs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

For coach travel, the AB Germany to Northeast USA awards can be attractive at only 20,000 Avios points. But the problem is that AB never seems to load more than 2 seats. This time, I'm traveling with a party of 3. When I go to the Avios site, sure enough, I see 2 seats available. If I want a third seat, will any of Air Berlin's partners have more availability? For example, I'd be interested in redeeming Etihad Guest points for that third seat (especially since I recently transferred miles to them at a discount from Citi). Considering Etihad essentially owns Air Berlin, do they get additional award availability? Or is the same two seats available to all their partners?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 4:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
How far out? I've seen AB transatlantic flights with more than 7 award seats in economy two weeks out on ba.com
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
How far out? I've seen AB transatlantic flights with more than 7 award seats in economy two weeks out on ba.com
Interesting. They must dump seats at the end. I always look at least 2 months or more out and they ALWAYS load 2 coach seats on all their transatlantic flights. Obviously, these seats slowly get snapped up and sometimes there are zero seats available, but I've never seen more than 2. And I've probably looked 50 times over the past few years!

As I say, it's a problem if you have more than 2 pax. The hassle of flying your party on multiples flights generally doesn't outweigh the savings (usually 10,000 miles each way) compared to the alternatives. But I've never looked for seats directly from topbonus or with Etihad.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I did call Etihad Guest to ask about their availability on the Air Berlin flight I wanted (it's not as annoying to talk to them as their reputation). Unfortunately, they get the exact same "two seat" award allocation as the other partners. I went ahead and booked the 2 seats with Avios (10,000+ miles cheaper than with Etihad Guest), and booked my third ticket on a "competing" UA flight (as a 1K, I can refund it if Air Berlin ever loads an additional award seat).

Frustrating, because these AB transatlantic award seats would be very useful, if they made it easier for more than 2 people to travel on the same flight!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:12 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
In coach I saw a lot of transatlantic flights with more than 2 award seats available. the problem is mostly in Business but this is due to their quite small cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.