Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB silver vs OW Sapphire - what's better when traveling on AB?

Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:07 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

I have status with both AB (Silver) and OneWorld Sapphire (AA Plat).
Given the inconsistent benefits received as OneWorld elite, is it better to have my topbonus # on the reservation? This is an award ticket using Avios.
Mainly concerned with luggage allowance/charges (hopefully no charges!).

The flight is very short, so I am not too concerned with seat selection.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 1:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by izzik
I have status with both AB (Silver) and OneWorld Sapphire (AA Plat).
Given the inconsistent benefits received as OneWorld elite, is it better to have my topbonus # on the reservation? This is an award ticket using Avios.
Mainly concerned with luggage allowance/charges (hopefully no charges!).

The flight is very short, so I am not too concerned with seat selection.
There is no difference. You are worried that AB might not recognise the OW Sapphire of the AA Plat - this I have never heard happening. I would put in the one which i want the miles to go to, (assuming the AA Plat) and in the worst case, if the system does not recognise it, give them the AB number by the check-in if they try to charge you for additional baggage.
The only worry miught be if you only just very recently got the AA Plat status, which mught not have upgraded yet in the One World system.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks! This is an award, so there are no miles to be received. I have had AA Plt all year, so recognition in system should not be a problem.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
How much do you want in the "exclusive waiting area"?

You would get in as AB silver
You would not get in as OW Saphire

(This is different from an AB lounge which you would get access to if available)

Luggage would be better as OW Saphire
Air berlin Silver is equal to OW Ruby so your luggage allowance should be higher on OW Saphire
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

I suppose I could just use my AB card to access this "waiting area".. but have the AA # on the ticket.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I suppose I could just use my AB card to access this "waiting area".. but have the AA # on the ticket.
If there are any OneWorld lounges in the terminal you would have access to them as an AA platinum but not as an AB Silver.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Air berlin Silver is equal to OW Ruby so your luggage allowance should be higher on OW Saphire
There is no difference. Silver gets also an additional checked bag, but likely not any other OWR.

https://topbonus.airberlin.com/web/tb/freigepack
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Thanks

I looked on the one world site which for top bonus silver does not mention the extra bag :

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onew...us-silver#tier

but for top bonus gold it does

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onew...onus-gold#tier
but for top
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
How much do you want in the "exclusive waiting area"?

You would get in as AB silver
You would not get in as OW Saphire

(This is different from an AB lounge which you would get access to if available)

You do get in with your card, don't you? Baggagewise it is the same on AB since AB silver gives you one extra piece on AB
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:51 am

Not sure if you get in with your card as I do not have an AB card and am not really sure if the access to the exclusive waiting area is based on the card or the boarding pass.

At TXL terminal C I think the machine to open the door reads your boarding pass but I am not sure
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if you get in with your card as I do not have an AB card and am not really sure if the access to the exclusive waiting area is based on the card or the boarding pass.

At TXL terminal C I think the machine to open the door reads your boarding pass but I am not sure
I am sitting in the exclusive waiting area right now. There is a spot to scan your boarding pass *AND* there is also a place to swipe your card to gain entry. ^ That said, it's literally 2 rooms of tables and chairs, 1 TV in each room, and a beverage area. No snacks as far as I can tell...

Terminal C is a bit of walking distance away from the other terminals, in case you want to visit the OneWorld lounge there (for some reason).
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
When I was in TXL 1.5 years ago, anyone could get access toi that exclusive waiting area. As long as they were flying AB. has that rule changed? Or can you access now - if you have AB elite status by swiping your card, or if you flying AB and scan your BP.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:26 am

I am sitting in the exclusive waiting area right now. There is a spot to scan your boarding pass *AND* there is also a place to swipe your card to gain entry. ^ That said, it's literally 2 rooms of tables and chairs, 1 TV in each room, and a beverage area. No snacks as far as I can tell...

Terminal C is a bit of walking distance away from the other terminals, in case you want to visit the OneWorld lounge there (for some reason).
At TXL I normally go to the AB or BA lounges in the main terminal and then head over to Terminal C around 45 minutes before departure time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.