Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Arriving in TXL and Leaving 10 hrs Later on Separate OW ticket... luggae?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, TAP Air S* Gold, Hertz President's Circle

hello

I am flying in to TXL on an airberlin flight, and leaving later in the day with BA, both OW carriers, on separate tickets.

can I check my luggage straight through?

I tried to search but I think that I've managed to convince myself that it both can and cannot be done.

thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:23 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Oneworld no longer guarantees to do this, and BA is definitely not through checking on separate PNRs other than BA to BA connections.

See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...e-tickets.html for details.

This is a fairly recent change, which might be why you see conflicting advice, but I'm afraid current policy means you're not going to have a through-check option.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Tegel Airport: Left Luggage
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:06 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I would absolutely try to check the luggage through with AB onto your connecting flight on BA. And I would guess there is a good chance that this is possible.
If not, with BA in TXL it should be possible to checkin your luggage 10 hours before your flight. So you would have to collect your incoming luggage but probably can check it in again immediately. No need for a luggage locker in between.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I wouldn't attempt to have luggage checked through. With a 10-hour non-standard layover, it is begging for the bags to go missing.

I also doubt that BA would accept a bag 10 hours in advance - though, as the OP is Gold, perhaps they may make an exception. (Again, though, I would be worried about the bag going missing). At Heathrow, Golds and Silvers, as well as those travelling in First, Business, and Premium Economy, can check luggage in at any time on the day of travel. All others are restricted to baggage check-in from 3 hours ahead of departure. At outstations, the policy is going to, of necessity, be far more restrictive).

It is unclear whether the OP means an overnight stay; if so, there is no way that BA would accept the bag the night before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.