Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unreasonable to Request Refund?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Unreasonable to Request Refund?

So here's my situation - I flew from JFK-DUS a few weeks ago on AB for last minute business. I checked in online the day before, and being 6'5" tall, I was going to pay out of pocket for a seat with greater legroom. I had two options in row 36 - the Preferred seat by the door, 36A (54 EUR), or the XL seat next to it, 36B (85 EUR). I paid the 54 EUR, thinking I could deal with the encroachment from the door. Once on board, I found the exit door was far more intrusive than expected, and I couldn't sit comfortably without resting my legs on the passenger next to me. During taxi, I noticed the XL seat across the aisle was open, so I asked the FA if I could switch after takeoff. She said I could, but I'd have to pay. I understood that, however I told her I had already paid for my current seat so I asked if I would only be charged the difference. I even showed her my original invoice. She wasn't sure, but she allowed me to switch and said she would figure it out with the purser.

Anyways, I switch seats and go about enjoying the flight. A couple of hours or so before landing the FA's come to process all the charges, and she says she has to charge me the full 85 EUR. At this point I'm tired, and I figure I'd rather argue with corporate than with the FA on the plane.

Well you can see where this is going - I've had two rounds of emails, and I've called AB customer service, and I keep getting denied. I just want a refund of the 54EUR I paid originally, since I also paid the 85EUR for the XL seat. When the FA let me switch, she said she was unsure of the rules and was surprised I even had to pay for my original seat, 36A.

Am I being unreasonable, and if not, what's the best way to escalate this?

Also, I should note that AB lost my luggage for 3 days (suits and all) and I'm fighting a separate battle to pay for the socks and underwear I had to buy for my meetings, but that's a separate story.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:31 am

I would request reimbursement of both charges.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are not being unreasonable to have asked, but you are unreasonable to argue once you received your answer.

Neither seat guarantees specific dimensions. The fact that the first one was not to your liking does not entitle you to move or to a refund. You chose to move to the second seat knowing that you might have to pay somewhere between EUR 0 and EUR 85 for it. In fact, the FA told you that she could not commit.

At that point, your options were three: 1. Stay where you were. 2. Move and accept, as you did, the risk that you might have to pay EUR 85. 3. Ask the FA to consult and obtain an answer for you and remain in place until she did. It was your choice. I would not expect AB to waiver no matter how much back and forth occurs.

As to the delayed luggage, AB is stingy. Most carriers would either reimburse reasonable expenses upon presentation of receipts or have provided a flat allowance such as EUR 25 in the form of a prepaid card. But, to be frank, given generous carry-on allowances, one would presume that you've got enough to get you through a few days. Rather than fighting all of this, why not simply make a claim on your travel insurance and let the insurance slug it out with AB?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:13 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
OMG - 36A is bad, actually they should pay u to seat there. But seriously - I think your claim looks reasonable.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:44 am

My situation is similar but not exactly the same.

I made redemption of miles and booked a flight through call center. Unfortunately, I made a mistake and 30 minutes later called TopBonus again with information about my mistake. It was approx. at 5-5.30 pm. I was informed that changes were free of charge within 24 hours from original booking. In such case I delayed my decision as I wanted to think about these changes carefully. I even discussed these changes here at FT (post 86 and further: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...rminals-6.html).

I called them again next day early in the morning. To my surprise, I was informed that free of charge changes were possible only till the end of the same day as original booking (so, the day before). In consequence, I was charged with EUR 75.

The same day I sent an e-mail do TB with details of my situation and requested refund of this fee. TB denied as they couldn't "relate to this call". As far as I understand, they were not able to find recording of my conversation.

I asked for refund once again.

Today I received an answer that they found the recording. According to TB's answer it appeared that I was told that could only rebook my flight free of charge, if I called them the same day. Even though my conversation with agent was in German (due to this problem: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...ll-center.html), and I'm not fluent in this language, I'm convinced that my version is true. Therefore, I've asked for electronic file with recording of my conversation. I suspect they won't send it to me. What would you suggest to do, if they refuse to send recording of my conversation? EUR 75 is not large amount of money but I don't see any reason, why I should pay it, in case of misleading information of call center...
Old May 4, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'm still fighting, but it's been almost a week since my last contact.

Often1 - I'm not asking for a refund because I didn't like my original seat, I'm asking for a refund because I paid full price for a second seat. I honestly never thought it would be such an issue - when we were discussing it, I got the impression her concern was that they're on-board system wouldn't allow a partial payment for the seat, not that my proposal was inherently flawed. By that logic, if I pre-booked an XL seat, and switched to a different XL seat, I would have to by double?

Also, it wasn't like there was a benefit for purchasing prior to departure, the price was 85EUR in both cases. Honestly, since 36A was so terrible its almost deceitful to call it a "Preferred Seat", since its not like a chair that you can slide your feet under.

Regarding the luggage, I called AB support while in Germany, before purchasing any clothing and I was not given a dollar limit; I even specifically asked.

Tropikey - Good luck. It seems like AB is doing everything they can to not make reasonable accommodations. I understand why airlines have penalties and fees for certain things - yes changing at the last minute results in a loss of revenue for the airline. But an arbitrary cutoff of only allowing same-day cancellations is ridiculous, notwithstanding the fact that the agent told you otherwise.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
At this point I'm tired, and I figure I'd rather argue with corporate than with the FA on the plane.
Why did you pay the EUR 85 in the first place? It is pretty stupid to run after this money with a company like Air Berlin.
Old May 5, 2016, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by warakorn
Why did you pay the EUR 85 in the first place? It is pretty stupid to run after this money with a company like Air Berlin.
Because I had already used the seat? Like I said, b*tching about money is something to be done with a customer service agent over the phone, not with the FA in the middle of the flight.
Old May 6, 2016, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Because I had already used the seat? Like I said, b*tching about money is something to be done with a customer service agent over the phone, not with the FA in the middle of the flight.
Well, I believe you are a nice guy, but ultimately you are very naive. You are dealing with Air Berlin. You wont see that money again.
Old May 9, 2016, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Well you're probably right. I just got my third rejection email this morning. This was my first time flying with them. For the price and hard product, I thought they were pretty decent. However given the snafus (which again, I don't mind as long as the company takes action to rectify the situation) I would avoid them if at all possible on my next trip over the pond.
Old May 19, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Specializer
... I would avoid them if at all possible on my next trip over the pond.
Join the club! That's one reason why they're going bust.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.