Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One World Member on AB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
One World Member on AB

Hi,

I'm a AA Gold. If I buy tickets from MUC-TXL in the low fare category, am I entitled to any free bags because of my OneWorld status?

Thanks

Alphaguy
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:51 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
itīs not an official Ruby benefit.

Sapphire would give you an extra bag (except on some BA flights)
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges
Old May 16, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Hey Guys, greetings from the AY forum

Just booked HEL-STR-HEL flights for September. I'm Finnair Gold / OWS. Should I be able to select XL seats for free, like AB Golds, or is that an AB ff only benefit? At this point when selecting the XL seats, the booking engine wants to charge me 2X € per seat...
Old May 17, 2016, 2:02 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun

Just booked HEL-STR-HEL flights for September. I'm Finnair Gold / OWS. Should I be able to select XL seats for free, like AB Golds, or is that an AB ff only benefit? At this point when selecting the XL seats, the booking engine wants to charge me 2X € per seat...
Are they show any value next to the Euro symbol? There is a known bug that you need to provide a credit card number even when charge is waived based on the FF status.
Old May 17, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp

I am Oneworld Emerald. The only seat I can get for free is a seat in the middle section (3-3-3 seats of the a330). The Air Berlin service team has confirmed that this is indeed Air Berlin's policy. Pathetic.

I do not understand why Oneworld allows them to get away with this or at least removes all benefits for Air Berlin elites when they fly partner airlines...
Old May 18, 2016, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by TPJ
Are they show any value next to the Euro symbol? There is a known bug that you need to provide a credit card number even when charge is waived based on the FF status.
Yeah there is a value... 27€ for the international (HEL-TXL) and 19€ for the domestic (TXL-STR) flight, so if this is a bug, then a different one.
Old May 18, 2016, 1:23 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by gnargel
I am Oneworld Emerald. The only seat I can get for free is a seat in the middle section (3-3-3 seats of the a330). The Air Berlin service team has confirmed that this is indeed Air Berlin's policy. Pathetic.

I do not understand why Oneworld allows them to get away with this or at least removes all benefits for Air Berlin elites when they fly partner airlines...
Unbelievable how different OW airlines are treating the "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating (where offered)" privlige advertised by the alliance for Sapphire members... AA offers main cabin extra, BA allows any Y seat to be chosen, CX allowed me to have the seats with extra leg space (~2m at the bulkhead) and of course, my "home" airline, AY allows Y+, all for free. And AB wants to charge close to 30€ for an exit row seat???
Old May 19, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I've been complaining about this for some time now. AB used to allow OWE to reserve exit and bulkhead seats for free. You used to have to call, but they would do it. Now it costs €27 per sector. If they charged everybody, I might complain less, but an AB Platinum, same OW level, would get it free. They also get free food but since that's not a published OW benefit I suppose we can't complain about that.

All other OW carriers do seem to treat other carriers' elites equal. The only exception that comes to mind is where AA actually favour other carriers' elites for lounge access. AB also hardly offer their own lounges and even refuse my OWE card at the "exclusive waiting area". I don't understand why they're allowed to get away with it. Benefits should be reciprocated or AB elites should have theirs removed when travelling other airlines.

Good that on almost all their routes there is a choice of carrier.
Old May 21, 2016, 1:26 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Unbelievable how different OW airlines are treating the "Access to preferred or pre-reserved seating (where offered)" privlige advertised by the alliance for Sapphire members... AA offers main cabin extra, BA allows any Y seat to be chosen, CX allowed me to have the seats with extra leg space (~2m at the bulkhead) and of course, my "home" airline, AY allows Y+, all for free. And AB wants to charge close to 30€ for an exit row seat???
Indeed.

AB is not a very good team player, and is best avoided. As for the seats though, I have been able to chose seats freely based on status by going to other airlines' websites. IIRC, QF helped me last time to chose a preferred seat. Not sure the exit rows were available tought, YMMV.
Old May 21, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
I use EY Guest Gold when flying AB, and have the same gripes: no free seat booking and no second hand carry unless you have the equivalent AB status card. Given that EY de facto (for the obvious regulatory reasons there is no shareholder/management control) controls AB - they would probably have gone under by now without EY financing - and EY Guest status members don't even get equivalent benefits, not surprising Oneworld members don't...
Old May 22, 2016, 12:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Oh, EY tiers are not recognized either?
Old May 22, 2016, 1:30 am

Programs: QR Gold/CX Silver/EK Silver/EY Gold/Spire Royal Ambassador/Hilton Diamond
My experience has been different though. I flew from palma de mallorca to hannover recently and used my etihad gold card at check in and used the priority boarding line also asked if i could get the first row or exit seat and the agent gave me the first row aisle seat without a problem. I never had a problem accessing their lounge in dusseldorf and in berlin although in berlin it was just an unmanned room where you have to swipe your etihad card to get in so far its been good with the etihad card.
Old May 29, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
Originally Posted by gkl
itīs not an official Ruby benefit.

Sapphire would give you an extra bag (except on some BA flights)
https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/sapphire-privileges
Could someone please confirm this? Behind that link it says that if you are flying internationally you are entitled to one, but you get two. But what if you are entitled to zero, will you get one? It also says that the only exception to additional baggage is BA hand baggage only fares.

Still, I don't feel like taking the chance and arguing at the airport when the stubborn check-in agent will try to charge me for a bag :/
Old May 30, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by gnargel

Now my experience before arriving at the airport was quite poor (see above), but credit where credit is due!

At the airport they gave me an excellent XL seat for free (exit row) and the seat next to me remained empty while XL was almost full.

After boarding they greeted me by name and offered me a glass of (business class) champagne. As I asked for a glass of wine later, they asked if I wanted a glass from the trolley or from upfront. Wine was offered in a nice business class glass and refilled.

Excellent flight in economy!
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; M&M FT
I am a OWS through BA, trying to book a domestic flight (MUC-CGN) in the cheapest category (JustFly). Am I able to select seats for free (any window really, not bothered about front-of-plane or exit row for such a short hop)? Even when I enter my BAEC number, it still wants to charge me for the seats in the booking process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.