Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB Service Apology June 2017- PR Stuff

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold

Dear Mr Zebranz,
We promise – airberlin and NIKI are back at cruising altitude.

Following extensive reports regarding airberlin and NIKI in recent days, we would like to update you on our current status. The airberlin management team has recognised the issues with its conversion to a network carrier and taken countermeasures to stabilise its flight operations:

On 1st June, the airberlin schedule was realigned, especially at Tegel.
Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter, who operate European routes for airberlin with their fleet of Q400 aircraft, was responsible for many of the delays and cancellations during April and May. We have insisted on a change of management and improved staffing levels by hiring 50 new employees.
Since January 2017, airberlin has appointed around 700 flight attendants in order to strengthen its cabin staff.
airberlin has launched a volunteer programme. Around 150 administrative staff are currently supporting their operational colleagues.
airberlin continues to ensure that the ground handling service provider, AeroGround, improves its performance. Visible progress has already been made since it commenced operations on 26th March, particularly with regards to staff shortages.
Both the punctuality and reliability of airberlin flight operations have already seen significant improvement and are now back to the level that we have been reliably providing for 38 years.

All bookings are secure. You can therefore confidently book your next flight with airberlin and NIKI.
Due to the current high volume of calls received by our customer services, however, we hope you will understand that it may take a little longer to process your enquiry over the coming weeks. airberlin has doubled the size of its team and is intensively working to clear the backlog.

Are you wondering how this poor performance could arise?

With the change-over to the summer schedule at the end of March, airberlin underwent the most far-reaching restructure in its history. airberlin will emerge from this as a strong network airline with 75 aircraft, two long-haul hubs in Berlin and Dusseldorf and a focus on German and European city airports. As stated above, unfortunately airberlin's restructuring process is not proceeding as smoothly as we would have hoped and as you would rightly expect.

Holiday destinations have been transferred from airberlin to its subsidiary, NIKI. The breakdown of talks between TUI and Etihad regarding the formation of a new joint venture has changed nothing. This merely concerns a change to the corporate structure and therefore has no impact on the flight operations of the airberlin group. The NIKI winter schedule has already been released and NIKI will continue to offer a reliable service to warm weather destinations.

Finally, we would like to emphasise that nothing has changed for you as a topbonus member with regard to collecting and redeeming miles, as well as your status benefits with airberlin and NIKI. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard soon!

Thank you for your understanding and continued loyalty.

More information
Kind regards,
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I have to say that my last 3 connections in TXL (all within the last 10 days) went all super smoothly. Today even ahead of time. So I cross fingers that the operational difficulties have been overcome. Another test tomorrow
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
As I was quite vocal about my dissatisfaction with ABs performance over the recent months, here is my latest and greatest:

After 26 consecutive flights that were either delayed or cancelled, I am indeed noticing a massive improvement in since early June.

5 flights since then, and all of them were on time or minimally delayed (15 min or so, which is not really a problem for me).

So for what its worth in my experience as of today, the statements above don't seem to be PR wash only, but there is improvements happening indeed.

For the next couple of months I have taken my business to LH, but if the positive trend continues (and should AB still be around as such in autumn), I will gladly reconsider to fly AB again. Second chance.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
did anyone got the 8000 status miles posted to their account?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:29 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by RolfD
No...
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

After not being able to book an award flight on the web site for an Error and not being able to get anyone to answer the phone I sent an email asking for another USA number or help.

I received a response telling me how to book an award on the web site or to call the number(s) as listed on the web site.....

Improvement?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Yesterday, I was again delayed. 40 minutes. Still too much. And a good handful of flights departing in the last waive from terminal C were delayed, not just an isolated case. So unfortunately 1 of 4 experiments failed.

I appreciate that the last waive waits, to minimize missing connection, but arriving at a 40 minutes delay is just too much, especially that most pax get to the destination very late.

This was my last active reservation with AB, so I will be watching things from afar for a few months.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by RolfD
Posted yesterday.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:35 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by ZKOKA
Posted yesterday.
Now on my account, too.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
This LGW outfit is not serious. It's ALWAYS delayed. I'm sitting at GVA waiting for the DUS flight now, watching the delay barometer creep up. It's reached 1 hour of delay so far.

I appear to have received 2,000 "Thank you for your loyalty " miles on my account!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:54 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zebranz
After not being able to book an award flight on the web site for an Error and not being able to get anyone to answer the phone I sent an email asking for another USA number or help.

I received a response telling me how to book an award on the web site or to call the number(s) as listed on the web site.....

Improvement?
This is exactly what Lufthansa did to me last week (and their phone office was closed, so it was the same effect.) Not that this helps you, but just be reassured the grass isn't greener elsewhere.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grog
This is exactly what Lufthansa did to me last week (and their phone office was closed, so it was the same effect.) Not that this helps you, but just be reassured the grass isn't greener elsewhere.
Until the pendulum swings back (and airlines NEED flyers) the grass is brown.
In meantime you suffer with most of the airlines. But 40K plus $300 on AB biz Europe to west coast on the day I need isn't bad.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by zebranz
Until the pendulum swings back (and airlines NEED flyers) the grass is brown.
In meantime you suffer with most of the airlines. But 40K plus $300 on AB biz Europe to west coast on the day I need isn't bad.
You're very right. And, on LH, biz Europe to west coast on the day I need will cost me 52.5K (105K roundtrip) plus $626.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
Recently I said
For the next couple of months I have taken my business to LH, but if the positive trend continues (and should AB still be around as such in autumn), I will gladly reconsider to fly AB again. Second chance.
Currently flying the last couple of flights on AB that have been booked many months ago.

After much better performance early June, the last couple of trips pushed my perception of AB's improvements back into the gutter. Delays, delays, delays and abysmal ground handling operations.

Anyone fancy a 20 min ride all across TXL airport in a old, smelly, non-airconditioned bus because the bus driver can't find the freakin' airplane? Yeah, me neither.

All my H2 weekly commute therefore is now booked with LH.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, it's not good. I have switched from flying DUS-GVA to DUS-ZRH. It seems to be better. Another thing: it no longer seems to be Belair (4T) flying that route, but airberlin pure. Did 4T finally go bankrupt?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.