AB new seating policy?

Old Jan 21, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
So my question is this... if we do pay for the seat upgrade, does that change the booking class? Would I then be able to earn more than the 25% American Airlines EQMs for booking the lowcost option?
No it does not change the fare class.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum
AB is ok for burning Avios, though not really a particularly good option for earning them.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: AA PLT
More inconsistent experiences

In June, I booked TXL-ACE-TXL (Berlin to Lanzarote and back, 5 hour flights) on the airberlin website; going for my mother and me, coming back for my mother, my husband, and me. I am OWE (AA EXP), mother and family are nothing and Ruby (lowest tier), resp. In June, I got us 2 seats in row 2 going out, coming back I could not get seats.

I checked just now, going out my mother's seat assignment was gone. I called (the German line, but then was told that the English line would have a shorter wait, so switched). I could get the seats in row 2 back going out, free. Coming back, he could only get me and my mother free seats in row 15 (?) and up, and i had to pay (€19) for my husband.

From the comments here, I gather at check-in time the two seats in row 15 maybe can move to the front. Is it worth it (is there more space on the TUIfly 737 up front)?

Then, for an TXL-ORD flight (just me), I asked whether I could get an XL seat for free, and the answer was no (cost would be €80). (I had 26D from when I made the reservation through American, as an AA code share.)

I find airberlin exhausting. I have flown them intra-European, and also transatlantic and to AUH in both Y and J and they are ok, but it would be nice if it were easier to manage bookings.

The flights to Lanzarote were quite cheap, of course.

VF
Old Jan 24, 2016, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
A friend of mine (no status) recently flew DUS-BCN on AB and booked the lowest fare. As expected, he was not able to select a seat in advance, but assumed he'd be able to select a seat at OLCI.

However, when checking in online he was assigned a middle seat and there was no way to select a different seat (all other seats showed up as "occupied" even though almost all seats were in fact still available at that time per EF).

Was this a fluke or is this how it is supposed to work (i.e. lowest fare = no ability to select a seat at OLCI = pre-asigned middle seat)?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:34 am

Programs: AA Plat - 2MM, Delta - GM
Today I booked tickets for myself and two children (so 3 travelers) on a Business Class Saver award through AA for a TATL trip. The last leg is on AB in Y (no business class on the plane). I am AA Plat so OWS. AA did the seat assignments for the Air Berlin leg at the time of booking and selected three seats in row 5.

I went to Air Berlin to pull up the booking and they only showed 2 of the 3 seats as assigned. When trying to select the 3rd seat (that the AA site still shows as assigned on their site) it wanted to charge me. My AB booking shows the ticket as 'FlyClassic Business' for all three of us and also says the seat booking should be '0'. But online it keeps trying to charge me when selecting the 3rd seat.

I called AB and was told I only get my seat for free and one other. I will have to pay to have a third seat assigned. I was also told that AA would not be able to assign it when I check in for my first flight which is on AA.

Seems like I have no choice other than pay for the 3rd seat. I know I could do online check in with AB closer to the flight and try to assign it then. But I am traveling with my kids and would rather have peace of mind that we are sitting together now.

Anyone know how else to get around this? Having to pay for one seat isn't the end of the world but seems contradictory to what the site is saying for the class my ticket booked into.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:37 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Was this a fluke or is this how it is supposed to work (i.e. lowest fare = no ability to select a seat at OLCI = pre-asigned middle seat)?
that´s how it´s supposed to work. When you buy the cheapest fare you need to pay extra if you want a specific seat. Buy the "classic" fare and you are able to select a seat at the time of booking.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gkl
that´s how it´s supposed to work. When you buy the cheapest fare you need to pay extra if you want a specific seat. Buy the "classic" fare and you are able to select a seat at the time of booking.
Thanks! I'd assumed lowest fare = no seat selection in advance = select any (no-preferred) seat at OLCI, which is how most airlines handle it. Good to know for the future.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 5:57 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Thanks! I'd assumed lowest fare = no seat selection in advance = select any (no-preferred) seat at OLCI, which is how most airlines handle it. Good to know for the future.
I agree, many airlines allow seat selection at OLCI, however AB decided that they might earn some revenue when they make you pay for selecting a seat.
good for those with status, who can pre-select a seat for free at the time of booking - even in the lowest fare class (and are also allowed to take a piece of luggage for free, which even HONs at LH´s "light" fares are not allowed).
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gkl
I agree, many airlines allow seat selection at OLCI, however AB decided that they might earn some revenue when they make you pay for selecting a seat.
good for those with status, who can pre-select a seat for free at the time of booking - even in the lowest fare class (and are also allowed to take a piece of luggage for free, which even HONs at LH´s "light" fares are not allowed).
Absolutely - I've been very pleased with my intra-European AB flights so far as an AB Gold member:

- free XL seats bookable in advance
- two pieces of hand baggage (beats the harassment by the LH "baggage excellence" staff)
- free checked baggage (in the rare event I check baggage)

Especially since LH moved most routes to the rather mediocre Germanwings/Eurowings, I've been flying AB more frequently, but unfortunately not enough to keep my status.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Absolutely - I've been very pleased with my intra-European AB flights so far as an AB Gold member:

- free XL seats bookable in advance
- two pieces of hand baggage (beats the harassment by the LH "baggage excellence" staff)
- free checked baggage (in the rare event I check baggage)

Especially since LH moved most routes to the rather mediocre Germanwings/Eurowings, I've been flying AB more frequently, but unfortunately not enough to keep my status.
Good to hear at least AB is treating their owe elite with benefits.

However, I think this thread is really focused on AB seat policy for OW (non-AB) elites and how it seems AB is not offering any elite benefits in regards to seating. AA offers AB elites access to Main Cabin Extra and sadly it has not been reciprocated.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC, Starbucks Gold
I am a little confused about how the policy is.. At least, I am sure it changed.

I was able to select any seat but the XL exit row seats in advanced for free.
Now, I can only select seats in advance as the fare class dictates. Calling the hotline, it varies from day to day. One day they say, OW elites can only select rows behind the exit row for free (system won't let them...). On other days, the operator was able to select preferred seats for me without an issue..
Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
As AY OWE I could select exit row and 1-4 rows on AB. Never done it before. I could not access my res until T-24 for check-in, only then I was able to select seats.
YMMV
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:08 pm

From reading these posts, it appears to me that those who purchase the lowest fare class and have no elite status will just be assigned a seat at check-in. What if two or more people are flying on the same reservation? Will AB's computer try to assign seats together at check-in for those with no status and purchased the lowest fare class? Or does the seat assignment appear random? Thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: BAEC, Starbucks Gold
Even with the new policy, I was able to select any seat for free at OLCI - If any is still available by then.. (FlyClassic)

I'll still have to test it with the lowest fare class.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
So I had my first AB/HG flights since this new seating policy was introduced, in the cheapest 'Z' fare. When I checked in online I was able to choose seats at the front of the cabin (2A on the outward with an empty next seat, 3A on the return with nobody in seats 3B or 3C!).

I still don't understand why AB are so reluctant to let status passengers choose seats from the time of booking, as at the end of the day those passengers are likely to get the seats anyway. I can't imagine that many non-status passengers are going to pay for the front row seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.