Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RANT: The TXL Baggie Scam

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 5:15 am

I always though all liquids had to be in the one baggie? In the US, it's SOP (standard operating procedure). I always carry extra, just in case.

Just curious, when did this policy become the norm? Was it because of the "shoe bomber"?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
Originally Posted by nacho
That's crazy - 1 pair of contact lens and a 10ml of eye drop, even a kid can tell that it's under 1l in total.
jup, and that's it where it becomes "idiotic and brainless", i'm not talking about bringing in some 15 tubes where it is obviously hard to tell if it's more than 1 l or not. anyway, as already said, i never had any issues putting my single 100 ml tube in the tray without the stupid bag, besides TXL. The first time I was pretty surprised so i told the security guy that this must be one of the dumbest things i had to do in my life (yeah, i got lucky, i guess ) and he just told me "it's the rules" - yeah, germans stick to their rules, don't they?
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by flolee
jup, and that's it where it becomes "idiotic and brainless", i'm not talking about bringing in some 15 tubes where it is obviously hard to tell if it's more than 1 l or not. anyway, as already said, i never had any issues putting my single 100 ml tube in the tray without the stupid bag, besides TXL. The first time I was pretty surprised so i told the security guy that this must be one of the dumbest things i had to do in my life (yeah, i got lucky, i guess ) and he just told me "it's the rules" - yeah, germans stick to their rules, don't they?
I wonder if you would have had the balls to play the same game in the US. The entire thing is based on the 2006 European regulation limiting the quantity of liquids in carry-on baggage applies to all flights within the EU. It is as it is and I expect my fellow passengers to follow that rule. People not following such rule create delays for everybody else and people seeing a necessity to argue with these poorly paid agents create even more delays. And by the way: It is not us Germans sticking to our rules but us Germans sticking to Brusssel's rules
Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
I have been through many different airports on five continents this year and NEVER had to get my toiletries out of where they belong and into one of these silly baggies, except at TXL (regularly) and FRA (once). Not even security at LHR cares about them any more in my experience.
The plastic zip bag is still the standard requirement at LHR actually. I have seen many people get caught, but at least the zip bag is given out for free.

I understand that people may feel it is a bit unnecessary for small amount, but like me using LHR as main airport, I just accept it is part of my travel routine.

I am now so used to this zip bag practice, I always pick up an extra when flying out from LHR for my return journey.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:19 pm

A rather stupid thread isn't it. The OP's complaint is that TXL abides by the rules. He seems to simply get away with breaking the rules at other airports, so he thinks TXL following the rules is "a scam".
Old Nov 8, 2015, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
A rather stupid thread isn't it. The OP's complaint is that TXL abides by the rules. He seems to simply get away with breaking the rules at other airports, so he thinks TXL following the rules is "a scam".
No, that's not what I think. Please don't tell me what I think. I do think that your reading comprehension is rather piss poor, since we are at it.

We do agree in one respect though: By now this really is a stupid thread.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
A rather stupid thread isn't it. The OP's complaint is that TXL abides by the rules.
And that they continue to abide by the rules. After flying from TXL "a few times in the recent weeks", the OP is ranting about the baggie machine failing to work on repeat occasions. One would think that the OP would figure out that he needs a baggie, and would make sure to have one on subsequent visit. Obviously too much to ask for...
Add the fact that the rant should have been posted in the "Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues" forum since it's not AB specific.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
And that they continue to abide by the rules. After flying from TXL "a few times in the recent weeks", the OP is ranting about the baggie machine failing to work on repeat occasions. One would think that the OP would figure out that he needs a baggie, and would make sure to have one on subsequent visit. Obviously too much to ask for...
Add the fact that the rant should have been posted in the "Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues" forum since it's not AB specific.
You must be really good at following rules. I admire that in people with whom I do not have to deal directly.

Last edited by blue2002; Nov 9, 2015 at 2:37 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:57 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Folks, one rule that we have to follow in this forum: no discussions and comments on each others - just discussing the topic please.

ralfkrippner,
forum moderator
Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Thumbs down

I have to agree with the OP - the only airports I have seen the stupid bag enforced are TXL and DRS.

I have travelled many airports and none of them required a "qualified" bag.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata, Turkish Elite... oh yeah, and of course: Starbucks Gold :P
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I wonder if you would have had the balls to play the same game in the US. The entire thing is based on the 2006 European regulation limiting the quantity of liquids in carry-on baggage applies to all flights within the EU. It is as it is and I expect my fellow passengers to follow that rule. People not following such rule create delays for everybody else and people seeing a necessity to argue with these poorly paid agents create even more delays. And by the way: It is not us Germans sticking to our rules but us Germans sticking to Brusssel's rules
no, as not even the TSA guys force you (or at least i have never been) to put one single (!!) 100 ml item into a bag of one liter to see if it fits - common, even you must understand the plain stupidity of this
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flolee
no, as not even the TSA guys force you (or at least i have never been) to put one single (!!) 100 ml item into a bag of one liter to see if it fits - common, even you must understand the plain stupidity of this
I fully agree it is stupid. I however further agree that this is EU law. There are plenty of stupid laws all over the world. I will, however, not complain on the spot if these stupid laws are enforced. such complains result in nothing but discomfort for everybody.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue2002
You must be really good at following rules. I admire that in people with whom I do not have to deal directly.
I always thought that you home base AUH is one of the locations being most strict on following rules - might these rules be as stupid as they can be from a European's perspective.

I lived in the UAE and followed all such stupid rules. Anybody without a UAE passport felt consequences for not following the rules. Anybody with a UAE passport was frequently by far more relaxed or arrogant if it came to the rules. This was at least my humble experience.

In our country, however, fortunately the rule of law is valid for everybody. And this constitutes a vital part of our society.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I always thought that you home base AUH is one of the locations being most strict on following rules - might these rules be as stupid as they can be from a European's perspective.

I lived in the UAE and followed all such stupid rules. Anybody without a UAE passport felt consequences for not following the rules. Anybody with a UAE passport was frequently by far more relaxed or arrogant if it came to the rules. This was at least my humble experience.

In our country, however, fortunately the rule of law is valid for everybody. And this constitutes a vital part of our society.
If you lived in AUH, then you will probably agree that it generally should not be used as a benchmark. That said, at least these days nobody there asks me to remove liquids from my carry-ons. Come to think of it, I am trying to remember whether two days ago anybody asked me to remove my laptop from the bag... but then the overall scrutiny there appears to be, well, deserving of some concern.

Anyway, back to Europe: I already asked once, but perhaps you missed the post. As a lawyer, you should have easier access (as in: yes, the internet is accessible to all, but perhaps you know better where to look, given your profession) to the EU regulation you reference. Can you post a link to it? It would be educational to many.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't want to waste too much time on this but this webpage can be a start for your own search.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...y/index_en.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.