Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

1 Year of Travel - Airline Lost Backpack, Need Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 Year of Travel - Airline Lost Backpack, Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:20 am
knb

Air Berlin not returning my bag!

Air Berlin lost may bag too on a flight Stockholm to Frankfurt, found it and sent it on to Luxembourg where it has been since Sunday and Lux Air are just sitting on it and it delivering to me in Germany. Now day 6!
Daily phone calls not making difference - any suggestions now to escalate??!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by OrbitTheOrb
This really sucks because I have probably $2000 of valuables in my bag (cameras, etc.). Plus a giant stack of credit cards that I need.
Oh dear!!!

When asked to check a bag, you should always remove the essential items from it first.... you can never depend that it will arrive on time. Or ever.

If you are travelling for a year, you really also should take out a fully comprehensive travel insurance package tailored to your needs.

I hope you get your bag back. But I wouldn't be so sure the cameras will be in good shape.

I'm not sure that carrying a "giant stack of credit cards", and then keeping them all in the one place, is a good idea, either.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If a 15kg++ bag falls on your head, you might want to change your opinion.

8kg (or even less) is MUCH more common in travel industry rather than more or even unlimited.
Interestingly, LAN Ecuador believes those sitting in the front can handle a heavier bag falling on them. The limit for Premium Economy/Business is 16kg.

If there's enough force from turbulence to launch a 15kg bag out of the overhead bin, the plane is probably going down anyways and I'll appreciate being knocked out in advance. lol
Turbulence could cause a bag to shift. As soon as you open the bin, it can immediately fall.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
did you get your bags?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sant
Interestingly, LAN Ecuador believes those sitting in the front can handle a heavier bag falling on them. The limit for Premium Economy/Business is 16kg.
They're a thin-skinned, but thick-skulled, lot up front on all airlines.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:36 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
BA is a notable exception and I believe lets you carry 46kg on board. I have carried >30kg on board before, but it all goes into the bins beside my seat (sometimes under the seat in front if not in Business). I would be capable of lifting this weight into the overhead bins, but doing that would be stupid.

I have very rarely had any airline weigh my carry-on luggage and if they do, it is trivial to hide things on a trolley or in your pockets... I just prefer to treat checked luggage as lost as soon as it leaves my eyes and anything that can't be replaced easily using money comes with me.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Sant

Turbulence could cause a bag to shift. As soon as you open the bin, it can immediately fall.
Wealthier people can afford better neurological care to deal with the aftermath of having steamer trunks fall on them. Hence the greater allowance in some premium cabins.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Well it appears there is hope after all. I have been tracking for a couple days and the status has updated to: "DELIVERY PROCESS INITIATED"

I think that's a good sign!

Also, I did find this blog post stating that the card I paid the taxes/fees with does offer travel insurance on lost bags but I have not had time to look into it further. http://www.airfarewatchdog.com/blog/...vel-insurance/

I still maintain that the weight limit is too strict. I like to carry on the kitchen sink with me because they can't be trusted to take care of my bags and contents inside. 8kg is way too strict!
Better check the terms and conditions. Some benefits offer by citi AAdvantage card is explicitly not in effect if the airline ticket was redeemed using AAdvantage miles.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
It would really be good to hear from OP how this ended.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:28 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
If this happened to me, I would have said 'thank you', left the queue and then proceeded to WEAR as many item in the backpack to bring the weight down to 8kg. Layers of clothes, lenses in pockets, laptop in the small of my back. (is that an 80-200 Nikkor in your pocket or are you happy to see us?)

Been there, done that.

I hope OP gets the bag. If he does, amazing luck for an incredibly bad decision.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 12:57 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Glad to hear OP that the situation - seems - to be close to resolved.

I never understood why the big fuss on the bag limits - too many people bring WAY to many things with them when they travel, IMHO.

I find it refreshing to have the non-US carriers actually enforce this rule rather then watch (and wait) for person after person to bring half their wardrobe on the plane, which is usually too much weight for a few people I see on every flight to even carry that easily, and to then hear them complain about lack of bin space.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Steve_19
too many people bring WAY to many things with them when they travel, IMHO.
I fly 3-5 cities a week, 2 to 3 weeks a month- perhaps 120-150 segments a year.

Im one of those guys you likely look at- computer bag, wheelie. But I am NOT the guy waiting at the baggage office at 10PM and trying to figure out where to buy a suit before my 8AM meeting the next morning. (Knowing that after that meeting I am jumping on an AB flight DUS to TXL for my next meeting, and the odds of me seeing that bag that week are at best 50-50)

Id kill myself if I flew AB more that a dozen times a year. They are welcome to whatever rules they wish to make. I dont find it 'refreshing' to have a 20lb limit for bags that are properly sized.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Id kill myself if I flew AB more that a dozen times a year. They are welcome to whatever rules they wish to make. I dont find it 'refreshing' to have a 20lb limit for bags that are properly sized.
You're aware that AB's most fierce competitor (LH group) is having the same limits (8kg!) , and is enforcing them much more strict (since the "Light" fare introduction within LH group) than AB?

It might be normal to carry half your household with yourself in the US, it's not in Europe.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I fly 3-5 cities a week, 2 to 3 weeks a month- perhaps 120-150 segments a year.

Im one of those guys you likely look at- computer bag, wheelie. But I am NOT the guy waiting at the baggage office at 10PM and trying to figure out where to buy a suit before my 8AM meeting the next morning. (Knowing that after that meeting I am jumping on an AB flight DUS to TXL for my next meeting, and the odds of me seeing that bag that week are at best 50-50)

I'd kill myself if I had to fly 120-150 segments a year!

You are actually not one of the guys I look at, assuming your many business trips has taught you how to pack somewhat smartly and be able to carry your own baggage without falling over.

FYI - if you are truly flying from Dusseldorf to Berlin, I would say you can avoid much of the hassle and cost by taking the train. A little longer all together, but no weight limit to worry about. ^
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
It might be normal to carry half your household with yourself in the US, it's not in Europe.
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.