Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB: Couldn't check in online, denied boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy AB: Couldn't check in online, denied boarding

Hello
I wanted fly today with airberlin to chicago but when I tried to online check in for the flight I was unable to do so even though I provided visa details and then I was denied boarding. Does it mean my visa has been cancelled or/and I'm on some watchlist?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Normally they would tell you why you were denied boarding. Did you miss check in cut off?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by sadguy
Hello
I wanted fly today with airberlin to chicago but when I tried to online check in for the flight I was unable to do so even though I provided visa details and then I was denied boarding. Does it mean my visa has been cancelled or/and I'm on some watchlist?
Hi sadguy, welcome to FlyerTalk.

What did the airline say when they denied you?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

didnt go to checkin desk at airport?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

The check in was technically closed as I was bit late, but they gave me boarding pass, then when I took seat they asked me to leave the plane. Then they said that this might be about visa.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Anyone's guess here based on the limited info you've provided is as good as yours. It doesnt seem like this was an Airberlin issue. Did you have a valid visa?
When they said it "might be about visa", did you follow up at all?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk sadguy. We'll relocate this to the Air Berlin forum for greater exposure. Please note this originated in the Flame Free Information Desk.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:55 am

The check in was technically closed as I was bit late, but they gave me boarding pass, then when I took seat they asked me to leave the plane. Then they said that this might be about visa.
Why "might be"? Surely they know the reason they took you off...

U.S.-bound flights have to transmit the passenger manifest to the U.S., to check against no-fly lists, etc, maybe after issuing the boarding pass they realized they had already sent the manifest and it was too late to change it or something.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
but they gave me boarding pass, then when I took seat they asked me to leave the plan
looks like AB owes the passenger EUR 600 plus the ticket costs.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Poster

This is the message that I got when trying check in online, I copied it from the airberlin website and tried look it up in google but didn't get anything on it:

It is not possible to Check-in online for this booking. Please proceed to the airport Check-in desks. (NOVALIDTICKETS)
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:27 pm

This is the message that I got when trying check in online, I copied it from the airberlin website and tried look it up in google but didn't get anything on it:
It is not possible to Check-in online for this booking. Please proceed to the airport Check-in desks. (NOVALIDTICKETS)
For a flight to or from the US, the online check-in feature is only available between 24 to 3 hours before departure. You may have been trying to check-in online with less than 3 hours to departure?

Many airlines need to check travel documents before allowing you to check-in/board the flight. This is due to fines levied by the destination country if travelers arrive who are not eligible for entry due to invalid or a lack of documents. The document check can sometimes cause passengers to be unable to fully check-in online and may require them to use a kiosk at the airport to complete check-in and receive boarding passes.

It seems strange that airberlin would let you board the aircraft if all of your documents were not in order. I would contact airberlin, as it is not clear what the reason was for your deplaning.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 11:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by warakorn
looks like AB owes the passenger EUR 600 plus the ticket costs.
A bit premature given the lack of information from OP.

When did OP show up at check-in counter? What nationality is OP? When did OP board?

Did OP need ESTA or visa?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 am

The error message is terrible, but you can't check-in online for flights bound to the U.S. on airberlin. You can still provide advance passenger information like your passport and stuff, which is what I imagine the problem might have been when you were pulled off the plane. But it could have been any number of reasons, as others mentioned, depending on your visa situation and nationality.

All we can do is guess, you'd really be better off asking airberlin... and really should have asked at the time.

If they issued you a boarding pass and later denied boarding, you may very well be due EU compensation, depending on the situation.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
The error message is terrible, but you can't check-in online for flights bound to the U.S. on airberlin.
AB has implemented online check-in for flights to US (I believe from US as well). However the cutoff is a lot earlier than the 45-minute online check-in requirement published on the website and is also a lot earlier than the 90-minute long haul airport check-in requirement.

As scottpenderson indicated, it appears the check-in window for US bound flights closes several hours prior to departure.

OP should provide more information. Let's say they mistakenly board you but then realize you didn't have a ESTA or visa, I don't see any EC 261/2004 compensation being due.

Last edited by seawolf; Apr 20, 2015 at 8:24 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf

OP should provide more information. Let's say they mistakenly board you but then realize you didn't have a ESTA or visa, I don't see any EC 261/2004 compensation being due.
Yes, OP is a bit unclear here:

Post 1: "tried OLCI but denied boarding"

Post 5 "Bit late at a gate that was closed", "given BP", "in his/her seat but then taken off" Sounds a bit strange and, to me at least, doesn't suggest that any rights the OP had were denied.

And the issue of nationality (visa y/n/, visa waiver/, ESTA) addressed up-thread has also not been responded to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.