Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin A330 subbed for A321

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Air Berlin A330 subbed for A321

The A330 scheduled to operate AB7494 (evening departure) TXL-AUH on 28DEC14 suffered technical difficulties and as a result a decision was made by AB to substitute the aircraft for an A321 instead.
  • No in flight entertainment
  • No Business Class
  • Insufficient range to fly this route non-stop

Aircraft D-ABCL had to make a refuelling stop in Constantia, Romania enroute adding to the overall journey time.

Business Class passengers offered either a downgrade or a rebook to Business class on flights the following day including overnight hotel accommodation and food expenses as well as EU261 delay compensation.

Does Air Berlin often make aircraft changes like this?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:58 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
this can happen, but to my knowledge not very often.
But still better to arrive with a short delay due to a fuel-stop than spending the night at the hotel and waiting for a replacement A330 arriving in the next day in the morning or wait for hours in the plane in AUH due to weather-related delays (like in the last days and needing to fight for compensation - if eligible).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 4:30 pm

I was also on this plane and as a third alternative AB had rebooked me on QR to DOH. Unfortunately I arrived too late at TXL to catch that flight so I opted for the downgrade.

Fog at AUH was an additional problem the next morning; total delay was a little less than three hours.

AB has promised to check for partial refund - which could be difficult to realize as the C fare had been lower than the Y fare...
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
... but overall, this does not happen veeeery often.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wisenberger
I was also on this plane and as a third alternative AB had rebooked me on QR to DOH. Unfortunately I arrived too late at TXL to catch that flight so I opted for the downgrade.

Fog at AUH was an additional problem the next morning; total delay was a little less than three hours.

AB has promised to check for partial refund - which could be difficult to realize as the C fare had been lower than the Y fare...
Fortunately we arrived TXL 3hrs early due to our connecting flight. We opted for the AB flight the next day and overnight accommodation in Berlin..... wish I'd been informed of the QR option...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wisenberger
For clarity they SHOULD make it the difference between full J and full Y, although I suspect they will not offer this. Under EU261 the official refund should be 75% of the ticket cost paid. As we were on reward tickets we didn't want to take this chance as the refund would be minimal so went for the overnight stop. EU261 compensation paid in cash at the ticket desk although they were quite insistent at first they would only give AB vouchers. A quick phone call to "someone" resulted in cash being agreed to.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Yes, AB has to refund 75% of the C-fare of the entire ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Fortunately we arrived TXL 3hrs early due to our connecting flight. We opted for the AB flight the next day and overnight accommodation in Berlin..... wish I'd been informed of the QR option...
I must've been on your flight then, I flew AB TXL-AUH on the morning of 29 December in J. No wonder it went from wide open to completely full right at the last moment!
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Yes, AB has to refund 75% of the C-fare of the entire ticket.
So if - hypothetically of course - the entire ticket had OSL-TXL-AUH-CGK-AUH-TXL-OSL on it and the J-fare had been 700 whereas the Y-fare would have been 1500, AB should refund how much?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 6:37 pm

525... it was a class of service downgrade. They're not comparing the prices of the two tickets.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
I must've been on your flight then, I flew AB TXL-AUH on the morning of 29 December in J. No wonder it went from wide open to completely full right at the last moment!
Yes we were on that flight also
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Yes we were on that flight also
Did you notice the man with the incredibly hoarse voice?

And I hope the toddler running around introducing himself to everyone wasn't yours!?

BTW - trip report of 'our' flight here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq1bGaC9SHU
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Did you notice the man with the incredibly hoarse voice?

And I hope the toddler running around introducing himself to everyone wasn't yours!?

BTW - trip report of 'our' flight here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq1bGaC9SHU
I wonder if his name was Horst?

No the infant wasn't mine - he was sat across the aisle from me in the "centre seats" but went a bit off the rails when she fell asleep. I think I've just worked out which passenger you were now!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK Gold
Ha! I was on the exact same flight in J, behind the deep-voiced gentleman and his very tactile young (& highly annoying) girlfriend! Amazed that none of the staff objected to the one passenger going to the bathroom during taxi at AUH.
Small world!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by jorguh
Ha! I was on the exact same flight in J, behind the deep-voiced gentleman and his very tactile young (& highly annoying) girlfriend! Amazed that none of the staff objected to the one passenger going to the bathroom during taxi at AUH.
Small world!
Haha how funny. GIRLFRIEND!?!? I thought it was his daughter...yes very annoying, they pushed in front of me both at passport control and then at the chauffeur drive desk. Thank God I didn't bump into them in Abu Dhabi!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.