Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Getting EY flights issued with AB flight no.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:40 pm
txl
Original Poster

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)

Hi,

I would like to book a flight from MUC to SEZ via AUH on EY, all on EY metal, all in Y. Theoretically, this route is bookable through AB's website. In practice I had to reserve it through a TA, though, as the combination of the particular flights is not offered by the websites. When the TA looks at it she says she can only issue it as an EY ticket. The fare rules in Matrix, though, say that the ticket can also be issued by AB (as well as most other oneworld airlines). AB say they can't do it but weren't very motivated to check (and I didn't push them). The reason I am asking about this is that when collecting miles with topbonus an AB ticket would yield 100% of the flown miles in many booking classes as opposed to 50% an EY ticket would earn me in most booking classes. Does anyone have any insight into this or has anyone managed to get a routing like this ticketed on AB?
The flights work very well for me both time-wise and regarding comfort, so I would choose that over the earnings. But as the same routing with EY flights can be booked as an AB ticket I thought it would make sense to ask here.

Cheers,

-txl.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Find a new travel agent. Your TA may get more commission/kick back [=your money] from EY
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:11 pm
txl
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply! So you are certain this can be ticketed on AB? Have you done this before?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:51 pm

Which ticket stock is used does not matter at all for mileage accrual. Only the flight number counts. That said, you need to look whether the flights you want can be sold with an AB flight number, meaning that airberlin code-shares those flights. Such an AB-flight can then be issued either by AB or EY, but again, the ticketing does not matter for the mileage accrual.

I believe that in your case you are experiencing first hand that in airberlin's call center right now there are 90% new staff who don't know much about what they are doing. The other 10% don't care much anymore because they have been fired already (effective end of the year). I do not venture to say into which group the agent belonged that you had on the phone.

Ask your TA about the flight number. If an AB-code for the EY flight is available, then don't worry about the ticketing of that AB flight number on EY ticket stock.

Last edited by jetlag airways; Nov 23, 2014 at 12:21 am
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:00 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by txl
I would like to book a flight from MUC to SEZ via AUH on EY, all on EY metal, all in Y. Theoretically, this route is bookable through AB's website. In practice I had to reserve it through a TA, though, as the combination of the particular flights is not offered by the websites.
which specifiy combination is not possible? Usually AUH-SEZ is done on A332 HM-metal, however, there are 3 AUH-SEZ flights (1-3-5--) operated by EY A320 (you have to fly (-2-4--7 overnight out of MUC). I had no problem booking this on AB-code (AB4004, AB4064, AB4065, AB4008) through airberlin.com
Also the HM-operated flights have AB-codeshares.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Should be possible.

Not sure which date you have in mind but looking at aa.com, it is pricing JAN 25 (as an example) AB 4004 connecting to AB4064.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:17 pm
txl
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!

Routing possibility is:
12/14 TXL-MUC-AUH-SEZ
12/27 PRI-SEZ-AUH
12/28 AUH-MUC-DUS

Everything but the inner-German flights and the PRI-SEZ bit (HM) on EY.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 1:02 pm
txl
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies!

The tricky bit seems to have been the PRI-SEZ leg. Just got off the phone with the TA, everything but that leg can be ticketed on AB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.