Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Carryon rules for AA Award flight on AB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat

I've read the first few pages of this forum and couldn't find a conclusive answer so posting a new thread.

In Dec. wife and I flying SAN-ORD-TXL-BUD. The first flight is on AA and the next two are on AB. All are in coach and all are on AA award miles.

i have no status on AA but I did use my Citi AA Executive card for the taxes. This card gets me into the clubs, early boarding and first checked bag is free.

I called AB and paid $96 for assigned seats on both AB flights. I hope they don't cancel them as they've done to others flying on award tickets.

We plan to each check one bag. We also plan for each of us to take a carryon (standard USA rollerboard) and a small purse/laptop bag. We don't want to take a rollerboard but the horror stories about lost bags and frustration with contacting AB have us worried. (We'll be in Europe for two weeks).

It appears we won't be able to carryon the rollerboard and purse/laptop bag when we board the AB flights in ORD and TXL. AB has a weight restriction of about 17 pounds.

Is this correct? Or, will we be able to board with our carryon bags?

Thanks in advance.

Pinguy
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

AB does on occasion weight carryon especially at check-in. Assuming AA checks you into AB at SAN, I think the carryon being overweight should not be an issue going to BUD. There is a small chance you may be ask to weight it on the way back.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Seawolf.

I'm on all AA metal on the return.

Pinguy
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold March 2010
We have the same situation in May 2015 PHX/ORD/TXL. PHX/ORD on US ORD/TXL AB(F) carry on only - did lots of research too.

We bought a 22' carry on and a backpack each. I have practiced packing and invested in a small travel scale. I am able to pack lots of clothes and stay within the 17lb limit, just in case we do get weighed in ORD by AB. We are putting the heavier items in our backpack - it doesn't look overpacked so shouldn't attract attention.

CT
Old Nov 4, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by California Traveler
We have the same situation in May 2015 PHX/ORD/TXL. PHX/ORD on US ORD/TXL AB(F) carry on only - did lots of research too.

We bought a 22' carry on and a backpack each. I have practiced packing and invested in a small travel scale. I am able to pack lots of clothes and stay within the 17lb limit, just in case we do get weighed in ORD by AB. We are putting the heavier items in our backpack - it doesn't look overpacked so shouldn't attract attention.

CT
We're doing the same thing. we're both using a small, metal rollerboard and each carrying a backpack.

AB scares me. I know flights get cancelled and bags sometimes get lost. What concerns me about AB are the numerous complaints about their customer service at the ticket counters during delays and at baggage claim. Their FB and Twitter pages are filled with stories of people waiting months for a return call or return email. I understand every airline has these complaints on their social media pages but AB seems unusually high

I'm going to carry on as much as I can in a 22 inch bag, a backpack, and in the pockets of my clothes
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I was looking at utilizing AB flights on award travel - this thread has been very informative and I'll avoid ! Unfortunately the BA fees on award travel make it not worth using their flights either ...

So, back down to just AA/US flights, which are limited
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4aks
I was looking at utilizing AB flights on award travel - this thread has been very informative and I'll avoid ! Unfortunately the BA fees on award travel make it not worth using their flights either ...

So, back down to just AA/US flights, which are limited
It's true I'm concerned about having to deal with a impossible-to-reach c/s dept at AB if something goes wrong. But to be fair, tens of thousands of people fly AB every week and 99.x% of them have no troubles. The seats are a little small but the service in Y seems normal and the flight crews are professional - according to reviews I've read.

The issue arises when something goes wrong, such as bags lost, flights cancelled, etc. If my bags are lost on AA or UA, I know I can reach somebody on the phone and get updates. I also know I'll eventually get $ if the bags are not found. Trying to do either of those two things seems impossible with AB.

I've never flown AB and that's just my opinion. I'm sure others on this board have more experience and opinions based on experience.

Last edited by pinguy; Nov 4, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.