Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Airberlin cancels orders for 33 Boeing aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Further fleet harmonization: airberlin reaches agreement with Boeing on cancellation of 33 aircraft

Airberlin has reached an agreement with Boeing to cancel orders for 15 787 and 18 737 aircraft, “at a current price of some $5 billion to be rescinded,” airberlin said in a statement.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
What does that mean for those of us who have reservations with them? How will this effect them as an airline?
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by joey965
What does that mean for those of us who have reservations with them? How will this effect them as an airline?
It doesn't mean anything for your existing reservations.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
If your reservation was in 2017 or 2018, call the airline.

As for the affect on them, they will instead probably pick up used longhaul aircraft from their Gulf-based sugar daddy.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The press release says that the narrow body fleet should be uniform by end 2016, and that 45 current Boeing 737 NG is to remain in the fleet. Are the A320 series leaving, or is the wording a bit unclear?
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: kayaker
... How will this effect them as an airline?
They're already an airline, so this news cannot further effect such a development.

Originally Posted by Fanjet
As for the affect on them...
I doubt there was any affect at all, this is a pretty serious business decision.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 5:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Seriously, I always wondered why they operate a mixed 320/737 fleet. I have no strong feelings either way, but operating both doesn't make sense.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by swiss_global
Seriously, I always wondered why they operate a mixed 320/737 fleet. I have no strong feelings either way, but operating both doesn't make sense.
At least it's probably good for negotiating with both aircraft manufacturers
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Why not? They outsource the maintenance anyway and having different aircraft is a way of reduce risk by diversification. Besides, as pointed out by keitherson, it adds negotiating power to the table when it's time to deal with Boeing or Airbus.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
As a followup to this topic, an article showed up today saying that AB will be getting rid of Niki's Embraers and replacing them with A319s and A320s. Also the 737s will be retired by 2016.

http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/...irberlin-group

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.