Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

North Pole excursion flight for 2015 just released

Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

The next tourist flight (no landing, obviously) to the North Pole has just been made available for booking for the single flight next year on April 25, 2015.....

http://www.airevents.de/product_info...50&language=en
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
How many miles do you get for this flight?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:48 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Probably no miles for this charter.

Interesting thing. But for me 12 hrs in eco would be no fun and the prices for window seats are quite high IMO. So this is not for me - I would rather book a regular north-america flight that has a northerly routing like to YVR and enjoy the landscape there and at the destination. I admit that I will probably never see the north pole this way.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
Probably no miles for this charter.

Interesting thing. But for me 12 hrs in eco would be no fun and the prices for window seats are quite high IMO. So this is not for me - I would rather book a regular north-america flight that has a northerly routing like to YVR and enjoy the landscape there and at the destination. I admit that I will probably never see the north pole this way.
The flight is from Air Events, operated by AB. In 2006, when they started I gave them the idea to combine a Nort Pole flight with the observing of a total solar eclipse on August 1st 2008. Later they claimed this idea for themselves.

Here a link from this flight from Glen Schneider :

http://nicmosis.as.arizona.edu:8000/...8_EFLIGHT.html

I observed the eclipse on the ground so I made a flight on May 1st 2009. I bought two last minute tickets (window and seat next to window ) on ebay 4 days before the flight for altogether 930 Euros. I was in row 48 concerning the air events page you have to pay 2.888 Euros now !

In the mail that I got after the purchase they wrote that I should not talk about this price on the plane because the other passengers payed much more and will become angry. In the plane I confronted them with my mails from 2006 with the idea of a total solar eclipse flight....nice facial expression...:-)

Already in 2009 the windows were full of scratches and they still use the same planes. I like to fly with AB but the A330 are very old now and I think it's not worth the money because of the bad windows.

Concerning the miles : I got indeed some miles but only for an inner german flight because origin and destination were both in germany.

P.S. In 2003 I was on a total solar eclipse flight over Antarctica which started and ended in Melbourne. It was the longest domestic flight ever with 14 hours and 3 minutes gate to gate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rak5tka8N8
Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:54 am

Does AB still have the all-economy charter A330? Looks like it from the seat map... at least last year, they had business class seats.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 3:01 am

Programs: BA Silver, LH FTL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
Does AB still have the all-economy charter A330? Looks like it from the seat map... at least last year, they had business class seats.
As far as I know, 4 of the A330-200 are all eco

Regards
Stepfel
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:46 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
3 of the A330-200 are in all-eco and seems for the North Pole excursion one of them is used.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Interesting. There is something similar operated by QF for Antarctica.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Interesting. There is something similar operated by QF for Antarctica.
chartered by croydon Travel :

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au
Old Dec 5, 2014, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Is anyone out there planning on doing this flight?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.