Search

Best use of AB miles

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Iberia Plus Oros
Best use of AB miles

Hi there,

I'm new to OneWorld and I have stacked up some AB miles. Compared to Star Alliance, and especially SK Eurobonus, I find the value of the miles pretty low even with the reduced miles promotions. Namely the fact that fuel surcharge have to be paid for is diminishing the value of the miles.

Is it possible to make better use of AB miles with other OneWorld partners, i.e. avoiding fuel surcharges for redemptions?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:50 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Fly Etihad ex-abu dhabi. no YQ
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I think this has the potential to be a useful thread. My best use of AB miles so far had been for tickets in the TopDeal offers. I recently got DUS-ZRH for 2,500 miles and 48 Euros taxes.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:06 am

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Or a flight where the direct one is sold out and only a connection one is available. In this case an award with no tax payment can be quite cost effective.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Volvic
Or a flight where the direct one is sold out and only a connection one is available. In this case an award with no tax payment can be quite cost effective.
There are no taxes for a connecting flight award?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: Topbonus, Miles&Bonus, Miles&Less
Originally Posted by UA Fan
There are no taxes for a connecting flight award?
Oooooh! If that is true, that would be a VERY nice trick
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Ooh, have I missed something exciting here? I thought I had a pretty good handle on this!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Could someone elaborate here with an example too ? Is it only when the direct route is full that you can find a 2 segment (connecting) flight without any YQ ?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:32 pm

For flights within Europe, you can choose to also pay taxes and fuel charges with points, making it a completely free ticket.
Given the relative cheap prices of the within EU flights, value for money is highest on a route where you have to connect. In euro's, those flights are about equal to the two legs bought separately, but in miles, it is the same price as for a direct flight.
Sample: dus-pmi-bio 569 €
Dus-pmi 380€
Pmi-bio 267€

In miles all-inclusive: 35000 miles for any round trip within Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.