Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earning Gold status in topbonus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Earning Gold status in topbonus

I'm thinking about switching from BAEC to Topbonus and I'm willing to give up some advantages of BAEC (such as Reward Flight Saver) in favor of easier status earning at topbonus so the key questions is if I can earn Sapphire si I have two questions:

1. In order to get Topbonus Gold Card do I need to earn 25 000 status miles for Silver card and then another 50 000 (which would make total of 75 000 miles needed for Sapphire status) or is it 50 000 in total - so 25 000 for Silver and another 25 000 for Gold?

2. There is difference between how many miles I earn on JL and AY flight. What happens if I'm on JL flight on AY marketed ticket (codeshare)? Do I get JL or AY miles?

Also, is there any way to determine how many miles do I get for particular routes? AB's website only shows percentage of miles for particular booking classes but I can't get how many miles it is from point A to point B.

Thanks
Old Mar 10, 2014, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by the810
I'm thinking about switching from BAEC to Topbonus and I'm willing to give up some advantages of BAEC (such as Reward Flight Saver) in favor of easier status earning at topbonus so the key questions is if I can earn Sapphire si I have two questions:

1. In order to get Topbonus Gold Card do I need to earn 25 000 status miles for Silver card and then another 50 000 (which would make total of 75 000 miles needed for Sapphire status) or is it 50 000 in total - so 25 000 for Silver and another 25 000 for Gold?

2. There is difference between how many miles I earn on JL and AY flight. What happens if I'm on JL flight on AY marketed ticket (codeshare)? Do I get JL or AY miles?

Also, is there any way to determine how many miles do I get for particular routes? AB's website only shows percentage of miles for particular booking classes but I can't get how many miles it is from point A to point B.

Thanks
For Gold you have to earn 50.000 miles in a year (not calendar year) but maybe you can try a status match because you are Ruby which is Top-Bonus Silver. With a match it might be easier to get the Gold status.

Send a mail with the title Status Match to [email protected] with a scan of your Membership Card and they will make an offer.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Thank you!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
AY flights operated as codeshares on other oneworld partners should earn according to the AY earning table, at least in my experience.
Theyt have this in convoluted and less-than-clear language in the fine print on the earning charts as well: [...]flights with Finnair (AY) flight number that are not operated by Finnair or an oneworldŽ airline partner [...] are not eligible for mileage accrual.

To calculate mileage, the easiest is to feed a third-party calculator like milecalc.com or the great circle mapper with your itinerary and go from there. These are usually correct within a very small deviation.

Definitely go and contact topbonus about a gold challenge when you are ready to book longhaul flights. SOP with AB challenges is they give you the desired status for four months in which you have to fly a certain number of miles to retain it for a year. There's a thread about challenges and status matches just a few lines below yours with useful information.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 12:03 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by the810

Thanks
To calculate the distance between two airport you can use milecalc. This will give you the actual distance, you need to multiply this with the percentage that is shown on AB's website.

Mind that BA gives you 100% of miles for all tickets where you actually fly BA, AA or IB. Air Berlin gives far less miles. If you fly discounted tickets you will get only 50% of the distance flown on AB, and a mere 25% on it's partners most of the time.

So to achieve those 50K miles you will need to actually fly 100K miles if you fly on discounted tickets.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:09 am

I got status match from EK Gold to Topbonus Gold but still need 50k to requalify withing 4 month .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.