Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Air Berlin connection / security & customs time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.

What kind of time do I need to allow for a connection in Berlin or Dusseldorf if I'm coming from JFK with final destination Zurich? I'm U.S. citizen. What is the process? Do I have to go through customs and security when I'm only getting a connection flight to Zurich? Is 90 minutes sufficient time to make the connection (Air Berlin)? Carry-on bags only, no checked bags.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Do I have to go through customs and security when I'm only getting a connection flight to Zurich?
You need to pass the customs gate with your checked bags in Zurich.
In addition you - as person - need to pass the custom gate in Berlin and Duesseldorf. However, it is unlikely you will be checked at all in Berlin or Duesseldorf. Customs usually checks only people with lots of bags.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 3:51 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
No worries.
Although you'd have to go through immigration as well as security, half that 90 minute time is totally sufficient.
Both TXL and DUS are compact airports with short walks and easy navigation. TXL has security and immigration at every gate. Even if you have to walk from one gate area to the next there, a 45-minute connection is both legal and perfectly doable.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Thanks to both of you for the answers I needed!!
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
DUS is much more convenient for AB connections.

I flew a couple of times on JFK-TXL and JFK-DUS - C and Y class.
The international passport control for the AB flights in TXL is a mess. Hate it. No structure/system - purely chaos... but I think this is part of Berlin
Old Mar 7, 2014, 5:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Andie007
DUS is much more convenient for AB connections.

I flew a couple of times on JFK-TXL and JFK-DUS - C and Y class.
The international passport control for the AB flights in TXL is a mess. Hate it. No structure/system - purely chaos... but I think this is part of Berlin
DUS is indeed better for connections, although the walk between gates can be longer than at TXL.

For US-Europe trips, DUS connections generally no longer require a security re-screening on arrival at DUS prior to the connecting flight. The came cannot be said for TXL.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am flying ORD-DUS-ZRH tomorrow and only have a 40 minute connection. I would like to check my bags (Wife, Son and me) because concerned about overhead bin space on short connection.

I'd assume I will have to get my bags and re-check them in DUS plus go through passport control.

Would it be better to carry on bags?

PLus I show I am on flight AB8524 but do not see that number on EF or AB website. Leaves at 6:45am.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
Originally Posted by thepla
I am flying ORD-DUS-ZRH tomorrow and only have a 40 minute connection. I would like to check my bags (Wife, Son and me) because concerned about overhead bin space on short connection.

I'd assume I will have to get my bags and re-check them in DUS plus go through passport control.

PLus I show I am on flight AB8524 but do not see that number on EF or AB website. Leaves at 6:45am.
The system in Europe is different than in the US or Canada. You do not collect and recheck your bags, just go through passport control in DUS. Your bags will be transferred to the ZRH flight, and you go through customs there.

Your flight 8524 shows up under flight information on the AB website...
Old Mar 23, 2014, 6:57 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United

As Gus2013 indicates, you should be OK. But if you miss your connection to the 6:45 AM flight to ZRH, AB will rebook you for their 8:50 AM departure and get you to ZRH two hours later than your original schedule.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JPG3392
As Gus2013 indicates, you should be OK. But if you miss your connection to the 6:45 AM flight to ZRH, AB will rebook you for their 8:50 AM departure and get you to ZRH two hours later than your original schedule.
Thanks for replies. I have flown to Europe several times but for some reason I thought first point of entry was customs and not last. Seems I always get my stamps in FRA or AMS or whatever and not my final point.

This is great since I can just leave plane and walk to next gate. I will check my bags.

I did screw up and was looking at 6:40 flight on Sunday which does not go that day. As you said if we mis-connect and end up two hours late who really cares...

Thanks again
Old Mar 23, 2014, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC, A3*G AB-G
Thanks for replies. I have flown to Europe several times but for some reason I thought first point of entry was customs and not last. Seems I always get my stamps in FRA or AMS or whatever and not my final point.
You are confusing two different things, actually two (or more in some countries ) different government agencies. Your stamp in the passport comes when you pass by passport control/immigration/police and has nothing to do with customs. You pass through customs when you go through the green, blue, or red doorways when you exit baggage claim.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Member

My nightmare has not happened.

My flight arrives 15 minutes late but I did make my flight to Zurich.

My bags did not, it is now after 6pm, 10 after my first arrival and no bags, no human just phone number that just says it is not found, this is a big issue... I'm on way to Canary islands Wednesday.

Anyone know a person to call?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I unfortunately missed this thread, despite previously having posted in it.

At DUS, I'd have been far more concerned about checked bags making such a connection to ZRH than about overhead bin space -- even as, or especially because, the bags would not need to be claimed until ZRH.

Unfortunately, once the irregular baggage handling report is filed at the destination airport, even something like an airline or IATA worldtracer system ends up being barely useful for passengers; and even the airline reps are largely powerless until the bags are found and entered into the system with an update from baggage handlers/ground handling agents at the airport where the bag is. At DUS, ground staff for the airline has been anything but generally impressive when it comes to these kind of matters -- but that's just my experience flying via DUS a fair amount this year and last. If the airline has a delivery contractor who drives the bags from the airport where you have asked to have your bags delivered, then calling them has sometimes worked out for me. Unfortunately, most of those numbers are country/region specific and it's usually the baggage claim agent at the re-tagged destination airport who is often reasonably well positioned to get that number.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I unfortunately missed this thread, despite previously having posted in it.

At DUS, I'd have been far more concerned about checked bags making such a connection to ZRH than about overhead bin space -- even as, or especially because, the bags would not need to be claimed until ZRH.

Unfortunately, once the irregular baggage handling report is filed at the destination airport, even something like an airline or IATA worldtracer system ends up being barely useful for passengers; and even the airline reps are largely powerless until the bags are found and entered into the system with an update from baggage handlers/ground handling agents at the airport where the bag is. At DUS, ground staff for the airline has been anything but generally impressive when it comes to these kind of matters -- but that's just my experience flying via DUS a fair amount this year and last. If the airline has a delivery contractor who drives the bags from the airport where you have asked to have your bags delivered, then calling them has sometimes worked out for me. Unfortunately, most of those numbers are country/region specific and it's usually the baggage claim agent at the re-tagged destination airport who is often reasonably well positioned to get that number.
I wish I would have taken my gut and chanced overhead bin...

They only have found one bag. We did buy some other clothes, I guess CC company will give us that money back (We'll see). We are on our way to Canary Islands in morning and I just sent an E_mail in case they find our bags.

I've never experienced a lost bag that was not in my possession by next day. It seems that if this was AA they give it 5 days until they determine it is lost.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I have flown to Europe several times but for some reason I thought first point of entry was customs and not last. Seems I always get my stamps in FRA or AMS or whatever and not my final point.
Since when do customes stamp stuff? (maybe on a declaration form from some individuals, passing through the red lane)
Maybe you travelled to Europe in your dreams.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.