Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

NAP>DUS>SFO on Two Tickets + Checked Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS

Hey Folks,

I have purchased a one-way ticket from NAP to DUS and have an award ticket (with AA mile) for DUS to SFO; both flights are on Air Berlin. Assuming we're on time from NAP, I'll have a little over three hours to connect.

Given I need to check a bag, have about 3 hours in DUS, and AB has a reputation for losing bags, would it be wise of me to not ask them to check my bag all the way through to SFO and actually pick it up myself in DUS and re-check it? I'm not even sure if they can check my bag all the way to SFO from NAP given I have two separate tickets, but it just sounds like a recipe for disaster with AB in particular.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Johnallent
Hey Folks,

I have purchased a one-way ticket from NAP to DUS and have an award ticket (with AA mile) for DUS to SFO; both flights are on Air Berlin. Assuming we're on time from NAP, I'll have a little over three hours to connect.

Given I need to check a bag, have about 3 hours in DUS, and AB has a reputation for losing bags, would it be wise of me to not ask them to check my bag all the way through to SFO and actually pick it up myself in DUS and re-check it? I'm not even sure if they can check my bag all the way to SFO from NAP given I have two separate tickets, but it just sounds like a recipe for disaster with AB in particular.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Airberlin had problems with luggage at TXL because they changed their ground handling agent. DUS was never an issue. They are not better or worse than other airlines at DUS. As long your flight from NAP is on time there should be no problem.

They should be able to check the bag through. Baggage interlining on two separate tickets is nothing new it just might take the agent at NAP a bit longer to to do so.

My only additional advice is that independent of any airline it is always more risky to have connecting flights on separate tickets and should be avoided.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS
Thanks for the reply and advice

I'm trying to get it on one ticket but there was only J award inventory for DUS>SFO... I would literally throw away the ticket I paid for from NAP>DUS if I can combine into one, just for ease of mind
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, EXP 2012, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN Companion Pass
Angry Lost Baggage

This ridiculous airline lost my baggage between DUS and SFO, despite filling forms and making many phone calls they do not respond. There baggage phone line in SFO is full for days.

This excuse for an airline should be dropped from one world so no other people can be treated like this.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I have done similar things with back to back tickets for similar reasons to the OP and my most recent experience in DUS was a bit hairy. Admittedly, I had much less time than the OP (1h20) and my inbound ran about 15 minutes late. The baggage seemed to take an age to be delivered and I made check in for the next flight only just.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.