Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > airberlin | topbonus
Sign in using an external account

Old Jul 18, 12, 1:41 pm   #1

DUS - CUR Hand Luggage

Hi all

I'm going to be flying DUS - CUR next month in Economy (connecting via BA LHR) and I was a bit worried to read that you only receive 6kg of hand luggage allowance. My carry on is a small roller and comes within the 55x40x20 max allowed dimensions, but it is likely to be weighing over 12kg as I have lots of expensive camera equipment with me that I never ever check into the hold as it will either A: Get damaged or B: Get stolen.

What is the likelyhood of AB actually weighing my hand luggage at check in or at the gate? I know charter airlines are doing it a lot these days, but surely not a scheduled flight? .....

Any guidance would be appreciated.
simonspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 12, 1:44 pm   #2

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
DUS - CUR Hand Luggage

I fly AB regularly and have never seen them weigh hand luggage.
coplatflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 12, 3:24 am   #3

I too fly with camera gear in hand luggage - the thing with busy AB checkin agents is that you have to make it seem light then they wont even bother. Easy with a roller, harder but still doable with a backpack
Hades2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 12, 1:46 pm   #4

Brilliant thanks for your responses - I'll try not to stress as much now, although I never truly stop stressing until I'm on the plane!
Old Jul 19, 12, 6:14 pm   #5

Bad news. I flew FRA - TXL - LAX yesterday. They did weigh my partner's luggage and he was forced to check his luggage because it's a few kilos over 6. We were flying business TXL - LAX and there was no business seat on FRA - TXL leg.
timzheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 12, 3:26 pm   #6

Eeeeeek. Was the bag weighed on the FRA-TXL flight or the TXL-LAX flight? Just wondering if there is more chance of it being weighed short or long haul.
Old Jul 21, 12, 11:37 pm   #7

Programs: AB Topbonus
FRA-TXL is a "Autobahn". Many business customers try to avoid checking-in their luggage. Over head compartements are loaded so AB is enforcing a more strickt check at the gate. This is also true for routes interconnecting MUC DUS, esp. on morning flights.
On long hauls I never experienced any problems.
bobberle101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 12, 7:25 am   #8

Thanks! One more question - I seem to recall that on long haul you also get an allowance for a laptop bag. Is this correct or did I just imagine it? It would certainly help on the weight problems if that's the case.
Old Aug 19, 12, 8:11 pm   #9

Well I really should not have worried. I packed as lightly as I possibly could but my hand luggage still ended up weighing in at around 9kg. Admittedly I was slightly fretting as I checked in but no one even gave my hand luggage a second glance.

When I was boarding the plane I was gobsmacked. Some people had 3 or 4 pieces of hand luggage with some as big as check in suitcases and no one even said a word. I'm certain that some of the cases I saw must have weighed 23kg!!