Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Benefits for OW emerald on AB ?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA exec gold, UNITED gold, Delta Skymiles and IB PLUS basic cards.
Can´t give what they don´t have...

From LPA to NUR on a coach seat. Big A330 though. 3 hour layover in NUR and no Lounge ( Lufthansa has a lounge though. And then Nikki to Vienna. At least the Nikki Demel sandwich was good. Polite service but AB is low-cost airline with full OW prices. And after a month my miles are still not on my ba exec club account!
Old May 18, 2012, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carfield

Call again and just said you want to book an exit seat, and the computer will inform the agent if s/he needs to charge you.

I am an AA EXP BTW.

Carfield
On my itin, MUC-VIE-MUC, they agreed to give me regular seats for free, but not the exit seats when I called 2 weeks ago. He insisted that I need to pay for exit seats and give me regular seats as a coutersy
Old May 18, 2012, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Amazingly I found that I could not book a seat online for free and even most of the more attractive seats were showed as occupied - with my BA card on it. I then called to reserve a seat with my AB card and they instantly informed me that 1A had already been prebooked. Something appears to happen behind the scenes.
Old May 18, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Computer Work Continues

Don't worry, Flying Lawyer, the cross-recognition between OW FFP's is in there but not yet presented to the passenger. The scenario you describe happens all the time. As a tip: after booking your AB flight, log in to your BAEC or other OW FFP home airline and you should see the AB itenery displayed. You will also see the pre-assigned seats there. If you don't like it, call the AB service line for a change, I do it all the time.

Just because AB charges non-status pax for seats does not mean they don't reserve premium seating for status pax booking later. That's why the front portion of every aircraft will appear occupied if the booking engine has not recognised your status. And, exit row seats are also free, even if not all agents know that yet.

TF
Old May 19, 2012, 5:52 am

Not sure why

Peter... I don't know what is going on...

But when I called, I was prepared to pay for the exit row seats, as in all my LCC flights. The agent just told me that there was no charge... I presume once the system recognizes your OW status, they won't charge you. Just tell them to put you in an exit seat and see if they want money. I am under the impression even if the agent wants to charge you, they can't do so.

If the agent insists that is not the case, you can ask for a supervisor or just hang up and call again!

However AB should be clearer about these OW benefits and states them in its website. It just needs to be better about doing the benefits because they are already in a disadvantage by not having a J cabin on intra-European cabin and not having too many benefits and lounges to offer other OW members.

Carfield
Old May 23, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
I've called multiple times into AB call center in US to get seat assignment for my flight next week from CPH to DUS. They have my EXP number in the record, but they want to charge me for the "extra legroom" and "seat assignment". It's an AB flight, but this is the treatment have received the past week trying to get a seat assignment. I have a short flight, but would like to get a seat assigned.

Originally Posted by Carfield
Peter... I don't know what is going on...

But when I called, I was prepared to pay for the exit row seats, as in all my LCC flights. The agent just told me that there was no charge... I presume once the system recognizes your OW status, they won't charge you. Just tell them to put you in an exit seat and see if they want money. I am under the impression even if the agent wants to charge you, they can't do so.

If the agent insists that is not the case, you can ask for a supervisor or just hang up and call again!

However AB should be clearer about these OW benefits and states them in its website. It just needs to be better about doing the benefits because they are already in a disadvantage by not having a J cabin on intra-European cabin and not having too many benefits and lounges to offer other OW members.

Carfield
Old May 25, 2012, 11:02 am

Air Berlin

Just got an email from Air Berlin... (I wrote them on April 16 and it took AB forty days to answer a simple inquiry!)

Unfortuantely OW Emeralds will not get extra baggage allowance.

Hello,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Concerning your baggage allowance, you do not have advantages on any of the other airlines participating in oneworld. The regular baggage allowance on airberlin flights is one piece up to 23 kg.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Wishing you a good weekend

Mr. T. Richhardt
topbonus Team

About seat assignments, I guess we have to pay and am not sure what happened in my case.

Now I begin to wonder what benefits does AB and HG provide to their Oneworld Emerald and Sapphire members? Other than earning and redeeming miles, why does OneWorld admit a member, which cannot provide reasonable benefits to the OW family? I am going to write a strongly worded letter to Oneworld. Air Berlin is still mostly a LCC and its operating philosophy does not correspond to most OW members. So why will OW allow such a member to join the group without providing fellow OW members any realistic benefits?

Carfield
Old May 28, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
To be fair, OW does not promise additional baggage allowances on their FF benefits page:
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits/

AB does offer additional checked baggage for all their elites:
2x23KG for Silver and Gold, 2x32kg for Platinum.

Also, Gold and Platinum are allowed a second piece of carry-on luggage (6kg). Except on flights to the US & Canada.

I agree this is very disappointing.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
well I just got back from my first AB flight.... ZRH-HAM and back.... I am a BA gold card and did not know what to expect..... I got XL seats (emergency exit) assignet for me and my travelling companion free of charge,as well as special hot meal.... also for free quite strenge to have a hot meal on a 1h flight in europe.... for both the meal and seat assignment I had to call....

Once at the airport we got priority lane security stickers and lounge access at both ZRH and HAM.... Once on board the middle seat has been kept free on both flights .... Quite impress..... maybe AB is not having a so called business class... but fast track, lounge, middle seat free, and even hot meal... can we ask for more... Well done AB !
Old May 29, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alexduport
well I just got back from my first AB flight.... ZRH-HAM and back.... I am a BA gold card and did not know what to expect..... I got XL seats (emergency exit) assignet for me and my travelling companion free of charge,as well as special hot meal.... also for free quite strenge to have a hot meal on a 1h flight in europe.... for both the meal and seat assignment I had to call....

Once at the airport we got priority lane security stickers and lounge access at both ZRH and HAM.... Once on board the middle seat has been kept free on both flights .... Quite impress..... maybe AB is not having a so called business class... but fast track, lounge, middle seat free, and even hot meal... can we ask for more... Well done AB !
How did you handle to get the hot meal for free? They told me, that I can't get it for free.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by teiring
How did you handle to get the hot meal for free? They told me, that I can't get it for free.
I am wondering the same thing, I can't even get a seat assigned for free
Old May 29, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
well I tried to book a meal online... got a message error before the paiement ... i called them and they told me it was confirmed..... worked for me on 3 diff bookings.... getting the seat was more complicated.... the first agent said I had to pay... the second call i made he had to check it out came back saying he can block XL seat for free.... it seems they still need to train their staff but at least for me it worked.... good luck !
Old May 29, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ZKOKA
I am wondering the same thing, I can't even get a seat assigned for free
Reserving prefered seats is definitely an OW perk at AB. Then you unfortunately always got the wrong call center agent. Try it again!

Well, about the gourmet menue I'm not having a clue at all. Maybe just an error and he got lucky, or it's also an OW Emerald benefit, I have no idea.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
So an XL seat (intra-Germany) shall be free of charge for OW emerald ?
Just got off the phone with an agent telling me I had to pay.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Platinum, 2.6M
+1111

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Disagree! I find them very helpful! Especially during irops in LHR! If you ask nicely, you will get a nice answer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.