Go Back   > > >

Old Feb 10, 17, 1:39 pm   #256

Programs: Got a K-Plussa black! S-card remains green :D
Now that I see that AB is maybe the only shorthaul in europe where FA nicely comes to me and recognizes me by name as OWE and asks "wanted to ask if everything is OK" but then the perks end there, and I think of replying "yes, thanks, your gesture is nice and everything is fine except I am flying AB"
FFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 17, 9:00 am   #257

Programs: TopBonus (AB), FlyingBlue (AF/KL)
So what is the latest news on OneWorld (especially Emerald) perks when flying AB?

I just in the process of transferring from AB Platinum to BA Gold, which should be reached within the next 2 months. And from what I read here it seems AB basically ignores your OneWorld status except perhaps priority/preboard features.

Quite stupid in my opinion when I think how good other OneWorld airlines treated me for years as a AB Platinum/Emerald passenger. An upgrade on BA, free Main Cabin Extra on AA, free sandwiches on AA, lots of small perks here and there, exit rows on narrowbodys anyway.

How come OneWorld is still accepting AB in its alliance at all? Now the codeshare with AA was ended and downgraded to some interlining and AB decreasing in size day by day due to their restructuring and their total ignorance of other OneWorld airlines status passengers, I am amazed that they don't get kicked out of OW. There must be some use to them being in OW, but I don't know what it is? Perhaps just the fact that they are a minor annoyance to LH and Star...
CARST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 17, 9:58 am   #258

Actually, I quite like AB now that I have Oneworld Sapphire (I know, I'm as surprised as you are). I'd argue that I get more perks in short-haul Economy with AB than BA, even though my status is with BA:
  • AB always let me choose a seat for free even on the cheapest fare and open up "preferred seats" in rows 24 at check-in (so I often get a row to myself) BA charges for seat selection on HBO (hand-baggage-only) fares, no matter how shiny my card is.
  • They apparently allow OWE/OWS to check one additional bag (although I haven't tried it), even on HBO fares, again unlike BA.
  • I've never had a problem with the standard Oneworld perks (lounge access, priority check-in, fast track).

I'm not sure about the other perks you mention. BA rarely upgrades anyone, so you must have been lucky, and neither BA nor AB offer free food in short-haul Economy any more, status or not.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 17, 12:12 am   #259

Programs: BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
Are Niki flights now considered AB flights. Background: I had a long standing booking MUC-FAO on AB as a BA OWE. I got a flight change notification from AB that this flight is now operated by HG. Does this now mean my OWE benefits like extra baggage (which I inteded to use) have now vapourised? If so, will AB let me cancel without penalty?
Tafflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 17, 4:36 am   #260

What makes you believe that you will not have any OW benefits on HG?
MultiFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 17, 8:19 am   #261

Programs: BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiFlyer View Post
What makes you believe that you will not have any OW benefits on HG?
Well, I know Niki is a OW affiliate airline but check in is usually with different staff who deny me my extra baggage as well as any preferential seat without payment. I believe I am entitled to those published OW benefits but if the airline denies it, what can I do other than complain later and be ignored.

I have used the involuntary change of carrier to cancel the booking for a full refund, which Expedia readily did for me citing many other unhappy customers.

Sad thing is that all this is giving Lufthansa and German-/Euro-Wings their monopoly back.
Tafflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:18 am   #262

Programs: AY+ Platinum, CC Concierge, Accor Platinum
My TXL-HEL flight yesterday as OWE was pretty ok even if delayed
  • Selected one of the preferred seats at OLCI
  • Priority boarding, not a long queue, though
  • Had lounge access in terminal C, the lounge was actually nicer than the OW lounges in terminal A
  • Got boarded first
  • After boarding got a personal welcome as OWE from the purser and he offered me a seat on the empty row 1 (the mid seat on row 3 got occupied)

This is now the second time within a month they offered to move me to the empty row 1, appreciated this. This time the delay wasn't too bad for me, had a 2 hour layover at HEL anyway.
aapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 1:56 am   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapee View Post
This is now the second time within a month they offered to move me to the empty row 1, appreciated this. This time the delay wasn't too bad for me, had a 2 hour layover at HEL anyway.
Did you get food and drinks as well? I saw them move a fellow passenger from row 3 to row 1 when I flew with them recently and he got the full business class service, pre-departure smoothie and all, which I found really nice of them (and hadn't expected from Air Berlin).
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 6:28 am   #264

Programs: AY+ Platinum, CC Concierge, Accor Platinum
No, unfortunately not an upgrade. He told me the flight was converted to all economy so it was just about moving me to a better seat.
aapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 2:29 am   #265

Programs: AY+ Platinum, A3*G, 1865 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Actually, I quite like AB now that I have Oneworld Sapphire (I know, I'm as surprised as you are). I'd argue that I get more perks in short-haul Economy with AB than BA, even though my status is with BA:
  • They apparently allow OWE/OWS to check one additional bag (although I haven't tried it), even on HBO fares, again unlike BA.

Can anyone confirm or debunk this? Will AB allow OWE and OWS one piece of checked luggage on a fare that has 0PC included?

Last edited by intuition; May 20, 17 at 3:00 am Reason: spelling
intuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 17, 11:39 am   #266
:D!

Programs: BA*G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver, Hilton Spire
BA OWE and just made a short-haul redemption. Website wants payment for all seats, even right at the back.

On my previous paid AB short-haul 12 months ago, I was able to choose row 1 for free after booking (but I should have chosen row 2) - this was in the lowest possible Y fare class which didn't even earn any Avios or tier points
:D! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 17, 11:51 am   #267

Try to access the reservation from MMB at finnair.com

I have a revenue flight on AB bought from an OTA and AB site refuses to let me do anything, while AY at least lets me select from row 14-30. I was able to pull the booking using either Sabre or Amadeus reference (but I don't know if it worked only because my AY number was in the reservation)

Once in, there is no link to seat selection, but if you opt to update your personal details, you can scroll around that page and find seat selection.
Old May 31, 17, 9:26 am   #268
:D!

Programs: BA*G, A3 Diamond, IHG Silver, Hilton Spire
Quote:
Originally Posted by intuition View Post
Try to access the reservation from MMB at finnair.com

I have a revenue flight on AB bought from an OTA and AB site refuses to let me do anything, while AY at least lets me select from row 14-30.
Thanks, this worked to select row 14.

But when I log in on the AB website, I can't even choose a paid seat anymore... we'll see whether I can move forward at OLCI

I don't know if it's not working (on AB.com) because it mistakenly thinks my BA number is my topbonus number, even though everything is correct on AY.com
:D! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 17, 2:21 pm   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D! View Post
I don't know if it's not working (on AB.com) because it mistakenly thinks my BA number is my topbonus number, even though everything is correct on AY.com
It is just very poorly programmed and frankly nobody seems to care to implement free seat reservations for OWS/OWE members.
ZKOKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 17, 2:37 pm   #270

You need to give AB a break. It was only 7 years ago they signed up for oneworld. [/sarcasm]

AB frankly couldn't care less about living up to any oneworld committent. They do love the influx of carefree passengers but have very little intention do do anything in return for it.
They were sponsored by BA so I guess what goes around comes around.