Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Upgrading IB flight with TB miles..??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH/SWISS FTL (*A Silver)

Is it possible to upgrade an IB flight with my TopBonus miles? I have a DUS-MAD flight coming up that I would love to upgrade with the miles I have sitting in the account....

Any help appreciated!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
No experience with this, but looking at AB's webpage the answer is no. Firstly, IB is not yet a partner (this will change within 20 days, though). Secondly, upgrade rewards are only available on AB flights. This is consistent with other European Oneworld programs, therefore I don't think this will change when fully integrated.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by swiss_global
No experience with this, but looking at AB's webpage the answer is no. Firstly, IB is not yet a partner (this will change within 20 days, though). Secondly, upgrade rewards are only available on AB flights. This is consistent with other European Oneworld programs, therefore I don't think this will change when fully integrated.
Well, you can upgrade AA and IB flights using BA avios.

OP wouldn't be able to upgrade until at least March 20, and upgrades using other partner's miles is not specifically a oneworld benefit, so we won't know until AB updates their web page to see if they've made any agreements with anyone. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
Well, you can upgrade AA and IB flights using BA avios.
Well, yes you can, but only these two partners, not all OW partner - AND another but: NOT if the original booking was made through a travel agency ("trade booking"). This is one of the very unfortunate features of BAEC.

My understanding is that with AB you can upgrade trade bookings (but only AB flights, right now).
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: LH FTL
No you cannot, and actually, currently you can not even earn TopBonus miles on an IB flight, even though some are code shares

But this should change in two weeks when AB is officially a oneWorld member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.