Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Seat Selection

Flying JFK-TXL before connecting to TLV in about a month or so. The JFK-TXL segment is on an a330 with a first class cabin. I have no status on AB.

Seatguru lists all of row 36 as having extra legroom, while AB only has the the outer seats as XL seats. The middle seats cost less than $20 to reserve while the XL seats are almost $80. I wouldn't pay $80, but I would pay $20 to guarantee extra legroom.

Can anyone confirm if the middle seats on the AB a330s do in fact have the extra legroom that the outer seats do? And advise on whether or not they're worth paying for?

thanks.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Originally Posted by ekozie
Flying JFK-TXL before connecting to TLV in about a month or so. The JFK-TXL segment is on an a330 with a first class cabin. I have no status on AB.
AB doesn't have a First Class. Only Business class.

Seatguru lists all of row 36 as having extra legroom, while AB only has the the outer seats as XL seats. The middle seats cost less than $20 to reserve while the XL seats are almost $80. I wouldn't pay $80, but I would pay $20 to guarantee extra legroom.
It will depend on the cabin, because a new one is currently in installation.

This is the old one. (without PTV)
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Air...s_A330-200.php

A and K have more legroom than a standard seat but there is the box for the emergency slides which makes it a bit uncomfortable. But it is still better than a normal seat. I booked it for a MIA-TXL flight and I would do it again.

Here you can see a foto:
http://www.lalasreisen.de/html/sitzp...ir_berlin.html

Depending on your normal travel habits you could consider buying the "service card". http://www.airberlin.com/site/tb/pro...rvice&LANG=eng There are discounts on several things and you could calculate if it is useful for you.

HTH

S.

Last edited by Monty_GER; Feb 13, 2012 at 9:31 am
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Monty_GER
AB doesn't have a First Class. Only Business class.

It will depend on the cabin, because a new one is currently in installation.

This is the old one. (without PTV)

A and K have more legroom than a standard seat but there is the box for the emergency slides which makes it a bit uncomfortable. But it is still better than a normal seat. I booked it for a MIA-TXL flight and I would do it again.

Here you can see a foto:
http://www.lalasreisen.de/html/sitzp...ir_berlin.html

Depending on your normal travel habits you could consider buying the "service card". http://www.airberlin.com/site/tb/pro...rvice&LANG=eng There are discounts on several thinks and you could calculate if it is useful for you.

HTH

S.
Thanks for the response. I normally fly DL domestic in the US so my apologies for referring to the cabin as "first."

I was specifically asking about 36DEFG. Seatguru marks them as having extra legroom, but AB does not charge XL prices for them. In my mind, this would make them far more economical than an XL seat if this was the case. Do you know if they do, in fact, have the extra legroom?

edit: I know that you said this is the older config.

As far as my travel habits, I am flying one way to TLV to volunteer in the IDF. I won't be flying much of anywhere for about two years after I get to Israel, so I looked at the card and don't think it makes too much sense for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by ekozie; Feb 12, 2012 at 11:03 am
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:24 pm

I was specifically asking about 36DEFG. Seatguru marks them as having extra legroom, but AB does not charge XL prices for them. In my mind, this would make them far more economical than an XL seat if this was the case. Do you know if they do, in fact, have the extra legroom?
These are bulkhead seats. They have a bit more room for your knees but there is the wall right in front of you. These seats are better than standard but less interesting than C and H.

As far as my travel habits, I am flying one way to TLV to volunteer in the IDF. I won't be flying much of anywhere for about two years after I get to Israel, so I looked at the card and don't think it makes too much sense for me.
OK. So I presume your traveling will be less comfortable in general...

S.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Very true - I don't expect my travel to be particularly comfortable from here on out. And my understanding is that flying AB's economy class isn't exactly going out with a bang.

I did look at how much excess baggage weight (mass?) costs, and the service card ends up being cheaper. A baggage bump from 23kg to 32kg is $140, while the service card is $103, and includes seat selection, etc. Since I will be moving and will likely need the extra weight, it did end up making sense to get the service card. And I picked 36G. The legroom just wasn't worth the cost, and hopefully the bulkhead will be better than nothing.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:39 am

And my understanding is that flying AB's economy class isn't exactly going out with a bang.
It is not great but IMO not worse than other Airlines. On my flights the service was ok and the FA were nice. I am looking forward to see the new cabin.

I did look at how much excess baggage weight (mass?) costs, and the service card ends up being cheaper. A baggage bump from 23kg to 32kg is $140, while the service card is $103, and includes seat selection, etc.
That is what I expected. Especially if someone is flying AB regulary this card is a good offer.

Since I will be moving and will likely need the extra weight, it did end up making sense to get the service card. And I picked 36G. The legroom just wasn't worth the cost, and hopefully the bulkhead will be better than nothing.
I aggree. With 36G you are not stuck in the middle. It is easy to stand up and move a bit in the exit area. This makes long haul eco acceptable for me.

This seat will deffinately be better than a standard seat.

S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.