Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Pilot Brakes Suddenly to Avoid Bunny Rabbit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ *E, IHG Ambassador, Qantas Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite, HH Gold

A little article written in the Sideswipe (light entertainment, funny happenings) section of the NZ Herald today says ...

"On Friday March 13, I was on an Air NZ flight from Auckland to Dunedin...The plane arrived at Dunedin, taxied along the runway when the pilot hit the brakes rather suddenly. I had to put my arm out to steady myself and to stop my upper body being flung forward. The pilot announced over the PA system that 'he'd like to explain what happened. A bunny rabbit (his words) was on the runway and he braked to avoid it. We would be pleased to know the bunny rabbit had got away.' Several passengers did the 'oh how sweet thing' sighing with approval. My response was a little different. Why would a pilot risk the safety of his passengers to save a known pest? It just highlighted to me that some people are bright some of the time."

Personally I would have thought it would be for the safety of the passengers that he would brake to avoid a rabbit - would hitting a rabbit affect a plane that was landing?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 4:48 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
A taxiing (ie relatively low speed) 737 against a rabbit? Rabbit will come off badly and I expect not much happen to a/c.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
as a pest control measure, pilot should have flattened the rabbit
Old Mar 22, 2009, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
How would the sudden braking "risk the safety of his passengers"? Were the passengers not wearing seatbelts?
Old Mar 22, 2009, 7:03 pm

Programs: ANZ G; QF G; DJ S
All well and good about pests, impact on pax & a/c, BUT...the real issue is: how would the Capt. know for certain that he wasn't about to snuff the Easter Bunny? He decided to err on the side of caution, rather than risk a catastrophe with world-wide consequences! Good on him ( or her???).
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:25 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Starbear must be on the mark (or maybe something else)
Pilot was probably concerned about potential FOD if the non-Esater Bunny got sucked into the engine....
Old Mar 22, 2009, 11:21 pm

Programs: ANZ G; QF G; DJ S
...maybe on something else?

Yeah. I wish!!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:24 am

Bunnies as FOD

The FOD issue can be significant if wildlife gets sucked into an engine. I remember holding on a Florida taxiway for what seemed like ages - I was called up to the flight deck to bring a cup of tea while we settled in comfortably to watch a tortoise crawl slowly across our path. Eventually, a follow-me van pitched up and moved it away - they did this with an impressive level of care and observation of the area.

It was only later that I found out that some months prior, a DC-10 has suffered a gator strike during the take-off roll: It did neither party much good. It does explain the vigilance of the turtle-moving patrol however.

Last edited by Dogs_Ears_Up; May 11, 2009 at 4:41 am
Old Mar 23, 2009, 2:55 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
I have had to wait for a follow-me truck to come and encourage a donkey out of the way of our TriStar (L-1011). The 737 300+ series engines are known as "hoovers" for their ability to suck up anything. Watch a jet engine at power on a wet runway with the aircraft stopped (say at the start of the take-off) and see the reverse waterspout jump up from the ground and into the engine.

Wildlife does present a hazard, but it does keep some of the BA board in a job!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: Qantas FF Gold, Qantas Club
It's not just 737 engines that suck up stuff from the ground. Here's a B767 in Dublin making a vortex.

Dunedin's virtually a sheep paddock. No taxiways, just a hammerhead at each end of the narrow strip. Not surprised at the bunny popping up. Good thing he moved out of the way of the aircraft. Just hope the captain was beware of turbulence behind departing rabbit.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Skyring
... beware of turbulence behind departing rabbit.
What had the little fella been eating?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:28 am

Location: If I'm not in NE Illinois, then hopefully I'm in seat 1D, going somewhere interesting.
Programs: Alaska, AA, CO, NW/DL (Plat), Midwest, UA, USAir. Marriott Gold, Herz Gold, National Exec
Nice touch, Kiwi - brightened up my lunch hour!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.