Changes to Airpoints?

Subscribe
Hi all .... I'd read on this Forum, that NZ will be making changes to Airpoints, such as making their lowest Trans-Tas. fares count for tier-status purposes but not actual value accrual. That and other changes.

I haven't seen or heard any more, let alone had any comms. from NZ.

Anyone know what gives??

Cheers, Starbear
Wouldnt Airpoints be a good scheme if they allowed earning on most flights...
Overhaul of airpoints program is coming. From what little reference there has been from NZ I would say that the new program will be out before the end of the year. Probably to coincide with the completion of the Space+ and 320/767 AVOD refit (plus domestic changes).
Quote: Overhaul of airpoints program is coming. From what little reference there has been from NZ I would say that the new program will be out before the end of the year. Probably to coincide with the completion of the Space+ and 320/767 AVOD refit (plus domestic changes).
Hi NZ_Flyer ... thanks for the update.

and... hi jetsetkiwi. I always thought it very strange that Airpoints did NOT reward you with tier credit on the lowest fares, particularly as QF's Red-Edeal levels give you points and at least partial Status Credits.

If NZ do end up giving tier credit to their lowest TransTasman or domestic fares, it would be nothing more than an acknowledgement that a) there is a lot more competition these days both on TransT and Domestic routes, and that b) thank you, sir/madam... in your infinite wisdom, for choosing to fly with NZ, rather than QF, DJ, JQ or (perish the thought...) EK.

So, thanks all. We wait sleeplessly for the changes (which I might have thought would coincide with QF's announced change of QFF from a Freq. Flyer program to a glorified middle-of-the-night Shopping Channel
It would make sense for the changes to coincide with the cabin refurbishment on domestic and short haul flights. On the latest Koru Review, it has been confirmed from August 6, we will be able to select Space+ seat on domestic flights. I would expect some changes to be revealed then as well.
Quote: It would make sense for the changes to coincide with the cabin refurbishment on domestic and short haul flights. On the latest Koru Review, it has been confirmed from August 6, we will be able to select Space+ seat on domestic flights. I would expect some changes to be revealed then as well.
I'll place my bet - I don't expect the changes to be revealed in August.
They'll probably introduce a new top tier (Black).
And the new "Kingfish" level that Fyfe keeps putting out there every now and then.

I have to say that if I was top tier NZ then I'd prefer Diamond or Platinum or Premier rather than Black. I know those ones are pretty standard names for top tiers but still...that's just me though.
Quote: They'll probably introduce a new top tier (Black).
Quote: Re. Black - it appears this is a status level for which even smart saver fares count.

It appears they will be adding a "status airpoints dollar" value to smart saver fares. As this will result in a swell of thousands of new status members I suspect the eligibility for Gold will be going up....
Quote: It appears they will be adding a "status airpoints dollar" value to smart saver fares. As this will result in a swell of thousands of new status members I suspect the eligibility for Gold will be going up....
My understanding is that NZ Black will be invitation only - perhaps similar to UA UGS.
Does anyone reckon that they might allow points + pay for booking flights?
Airpoints Dollars are a currency!!! so it would make sense to allow that.

Another cool feature would be points earned on a GP card counting towards status. They are very clear today that it doesn't but would be a neat feature.
Quote: Another cool feature would be points earned on a GP card counting towards status. They are very clear today that it doesn't but would be a neat feature.
I'm mixed about this. Maybe they could allow a certain amount of status earning (like the UA MP Visa that allows a certain amount of EQM earning, I think), but I can't imagine NZ would allow you to earn, e.g. Gold or Gold Elite status via GP.

Think of all the people who can very easily channel business expenditure onto a credit card - instant Gold Elite or Black(?) status in a month or two!
Quote: Maybe they could allow a certain amount of status earning (like the UA MP Visa that allows a certain amount of EQM earning, I think)
The UA EQM-earning Visa gives you 1 EQM per dollar spent on tickets purchased on united.com, up to a maximum of 5000 EQM a year. The tickets have to be all UA flight numbers.

If you put $35,000 on the card you get a bonus 5000 EQM at the end of the calendar year.

You also earn 2 RDM per dollar on tickets from *A websites.
Is there any update/timing on an announcement on these changes to Air Points ?
Not a wink.