Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Airpoints?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Overall I'd put this as a net devaluation of 25%. Others may have different views.

All the talk of status earning on cheap fares is a distraction from the real impact changes.

I'm not happy.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:01 pm

I thought it would be worthwhile to get some calculations done on the value of inflation.

These figures compare the new NZ longhaul business award costs on 1 December with those put into effect with Airpoints Dollars on 16 November 2004.

It has been divided by 4 to get what is roughly an annual inflation rate.

Code:
	         New	Original	  Inflation	Divided by 4
Honolulu 	1830	725	           152.414%	   38.10 %
Noumea/Tahiti 	710	725	           -
Asia      	1980	1000	           98%	           24.50 %	            
North America 	2790	1250	           123.2%	   30.80 %	   
London        	3190	1600	           99.375%	   24.84 %
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Overall I'd put this as a net devaluation of 25%. Others may have different views.

All the talk of status earning on cheap fares is a distraction from the real impact changes.

I'm not happy.
that's the 'good news' they want to sell, to hide the other news.

Are the changes enough to push people to other programmes - and if so which?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: NZ*E,SQ ,QF IC AMB Plat, hltn gold
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
that's the 'good news' they want to sell, to hide the other news.

Are the changes enough to push people to other programmes - and if so which?
so what are the real choices, does NZ read this forum??

I think the increased mileage requirements are yet another suck at getting down the balance sheet liablity for miles, the %increases are in my opinion TOTALLY unfair when we consider the price increases yes they are tactically selling seat on akl-syd but they aint from wlg thats for sure so whilst they say fares have come down , for some they have but many of us not. now we see our bank of pioints value AUTOMATICALLY diminish by X % , the dec 1 date is that for flights or redemption.? so my plans for the big oe UG now will screw me...hmmm
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:30 pm

so with the change in points using *star partners where do stand with

akl-sfo nz metal -lh ticket
sfo -fra -yvr LH
Yvr-akl NZ Nz ticket seemingly as seperate PNR

last time i posted this i got
260 (plus bonus of 40)
260 (plus bonus of 40)

i am probabaly thick but am confused what i wll get now....
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:40 pm

now i have just logged in to MY air nz , this is intersting , it has deleted my 3 comp upgrades, it has recognized a itinanary that is the LH one and shows up as my next flights , but wont show the YVR -akl flight which is on a nz pnr???

some nice features there designed to help us spend points easily!! can be deleted as they are widgest i see.

further does current status miles stand for the 2500 "gift" as it should as i have earnt a lot of points this year ......

lastly i dont see the status date on my deatils and how many points i need to maintain , perhaps its too new???
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:42 pm

My interpretation was that this was just affirming the mixed accrual bonus system.

A PNR booked with a second airline or through a GDS will always have a seperate PNR within that which is housed on NZs system.

If you think about it Airpoints Dollars is a genius scheme (As long as the customers don't leave) - as inflation eats away at the value, and NZ don't pay interest.

The problem is these fixed redemptions - ugs, star partners and longhaul business redemptions. Still they have managed to get away with increasing AKL-HNL by to over 2.5 times what it was in just 4 years. And the product remains unchanged.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by rich5011
now i have just logged in to MY air nz , this is intersting , it has deleted my 3 comp upgrades, it has recognized a itinanary that is the LH one and shows up as my next flights , but wont show the YVR -akl flight which is on a nz pnr??
3 Comp upgrades?

Do the LH segs show up?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:44 pm

I'm not happy.
and i agree ENTIRELY with that sentiment they have "flossed" this really well the underlying principal is our loyalty is being diminshed and if taken "personally" valued less.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

the dec 1 date is that for flights or redemption.?
You need to have awards ticketed, or upgrades confirmed before 1 December (NZ time) to get the current rate ... except for those cases where the rate is not changing.

Note any seat redemptions are totally unimpacted by the changes.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

so with the change in points using *star partners where do stand with

akl-sfo nz metal -lh ticket
sfo -fra -yvr LH
Yvr-akl NZ Nz ticket seemingly as seperate PNR

last time i posted this i got
260 (plus bonus of 40)
260 (plus bonus of 40)

i am probabaly thick but am confused what i wll get now....
Assuming this is in business class you should get 300+90+90+300, ie the same.

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
My interpretation was that this was just affirming the mixed accrual bonus system.
No. Mixed accrual bonus applies only on NZ to North America, LAX-LHR, LHR-HKG and NZ to Asia. However someone doing something like JNB-PER-AKL in business class will see their PER-AKL earn jump from 40 (yes it is that mean at the moment) to 110.

If you think about it Airpoints Dollars is a genius scheme (As long as the customers don't leave) - as inflation eats away at the value, and NZ don't pay interest.
Of course this is a major reason earning was fixed instead of being linked to airfare. (Then again, SQ PPS changes shows that linking to airfare is problematic if you have differential earning rates on own metal vs other airlines.)

The problem is these fixed redemptions - ugs, star partners and longhaul business redemptions. Still they have managed to get away with increasing AKL-HNL by to over 2.5 times what it was in just 4 years. And the product remains unchanged.
Not quite unchanged. New PTV and AVOD has recently been added.

now i have just logged in to MY air nz , this is intersting , it has deleted my 3 comp upgrades
How did you get 3? Normally when you go up a status level the complimentary upgrades earnt at the previous level are removed if they were unused.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:14 pm

"How did you get 3? Normally when you go up a status level the complimentary upgrades earnt at the previous level are removed if they were unused."

I actaully had 4 as i was recredited two for a disrupt at LAX in april and also after complaining got a points credit along with miles fro UA C class to syd- and then to wlg so they recredited the two back on top of my renewing GE , Woman used one on syd wlg which i was annoyed about but anyway i need to deal with that. so i guess it was timing thing.
Better get on and use these.
thanks for points comments will report back when i get back on that score.

so wehre are my status pointsor are these the figure including the advance , which i dont think somehow , perhaps they havent been posted up yet etc.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:16 pm

You need to have awards ticketed, or upgrades confirmed before 1 December (NZ time) to get the current rate ... except for those cases where the rate is not changing.

Note any seat redemptions are totally unimpacted by the changes.
when you say seat redemptions are totatlly etc can you explain , hmmm this make sit tricky as i am away all of november ...ah well
Old Oct 31, 2008, 10:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

any seat redemption = using airbucks instead of $ on Air NZ only bookings

the changes impact
* upgrades (other than complimentary upgrades)
* "discounted" longhaul business awards
* partner awards (which includes mixed NZ-other itineraries)
* earning on mixed NZ-other itineraries
but no impact on
* NZ only itineraries (any seat awards or earning on paid tickets)
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:08 am

3 Comp upgrades?

Do the LH segs show up?
was four as mentioned below...

yes this what i find strange the PNR is the one i received from expedia for the LH ticket and its this one that shows up in myair nz, it shows all flights , 3 with LH no and one with NZ number and then goes to show as i said elswehere that the flight to sfo is "operated by luthansa" i know its code shared by LH and ac etc etc but is specifcic thatthe operator is LH , not that it matters really i dont think??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.