DL>NZ connection at SYD?

Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
DL>NZ connection at SYD?

Here is a new one--and I know it's new because I'm flying on the 4th day of DL's new route, LAX-SYD!
I arrive into SYD this coming Monday at 06:55, and have a NZ flight in Business at 09:30.
I have connected there once before to NZ, and seem to recall that I don't have to exit Immigration/Customs/Security--that I can just go to a transfer desk that is set up for multiple airlines. The only thing I remember about it was waiting 30+ minutes in the queue!
Then we were in the NZ lounge, which is absolutely lovely. Can't wait!
I am flying NZ on 6th July SYD-AKL on a 767-300, then returning on July 11th (Saturday) on a 777-200--at least I think so!
(Though the ANA tool shows "EQV", the NZ site shows a 777).
Looking forward to the experience-the last time I flew NZ, it was just on the UA mistake fare, and we flew A320s both times--and loved it.

Also, upon arrival to AKL, am flying AKL-ROT on a Beechcraft (!), then returning to AKL on 10th from Napier on a "larger" Bombardier. I did look at the "NZ Regional Lounges" thread and saw that Star Gold gets access to these unmanned lounges. Still the same (last info was 2007)?

Thanks in advance for any tips/replies.

Last edited by kyushuman; Jul 1, 2009 at 2:04 pm
Old Jul 1, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Yes Star Alliance Gold/Gold Elite get access to the Regional lounges. Napier Airport Lounge is actually quite nice and has great views
Old Jul 1, 2009, 7:00 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Are you on seperate tickets or the one ticket?

You will need to get DL to tag the bags all the eway though to AKL for you - If you are on seperate tickets, Im not sure what DL's policy is re through connecting tickets????
Old Jul 1, 2009, 8:53 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Also, upon arrival to AKL, am flying AKL-ROT on a Beechcraft (!), then returning to AKL on 10th from Napier on a "larger" Bombardier. I did look at the "NZ Regional Lounges" thread and saw that Star Gold gets access to these unmanned lounges. Still the same (last info was 2007)?

Thanks in advance for any tips/replies.
Beechcraft rock!
Just do not get the first couple of rows as they lack the windows.
For Regional Lounges you need to get the access code from the check in agent. Also NPR has staff cleaning and stocking the food and beverages. I have been asked for my KC card to prove I have access rights. *G and KC members only no guests allowed but I am assuming you are using your same day business class flight rights to access the lounge.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Would you believe it's FOUR separate tickets????

1) Used NW miles MSP-LAX.
2) DL's special ($588 all-in) was just on LAX-SYD.
3) Used BD miles for SYD-AKL on NZ J, but AKL-ROT wasn't available. Neither was just about ANY domestic route using miles on short notice.
4) Bought a OW ticket AKL-ROT (NZ$69 all-in!) on anz.com.

So with 4 separate tickets, I'm sure hoping I have no big complications. I did leave myself with a decent amount of connecting time: 4 hrs in LAX, 2.5 hrs in SYD, , 2.5 hrs. in AKL.
I WON'T be checking a bag.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:01 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
No need to go landside.

The ladies at the Koru club are wonderful but thanks to an appalling management decision they've been stopped from doing BPs and bookings.

And you can't get an NZ BP in, say, LAX - even if you do, NZ in SYD won't accept BPs printed elsewhere.

So, regardless, you have go out and join the unwashed mob at the queue for the noodle bar - which isn't really the queue for the noodle bar but for a tiny transfer-desk hidden behind the overcrowded SYD retail area.

A wait/scrummage of 30mins is routine, and watch them carefully as the staff are not the greatest (on loan from QF I think) and they're prone to make mistakes. Also they waste your time with useless questions about your onward journey and may want proof you'll be leaving NZ so print out your departing E-tickets.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:02 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
deleted - duplicate
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:13 pm

transfer to NZ in SYD

In 2008 you went to noodle bar to transfer, but this yr NZ had its own desk tucked away nearby. Line there moved VERY slowly (w/ 1.5 hr between arrival & departure we ran to gate & were last to board our AKL flt) & yes, NZ transfer desk required 'proof' we had return tkts (even when they 'saw' our entire itin on their computer screen). AKL-ROT is only abt 40 min, but you do have to get from Intl terminal to Domestic (w/o ckd baggage should be fast, a brisk 10-min walk or wait for bus), same true when you come back to AKL. Could be cold in ROT so have some woolies along!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I know I shouldn't, but as I begin packing, I'm considering checking a bag, MSP-LAX-AKL.
Northwest Airlines has no problem checking it all the way there, and since I have to retrieve it anyway in AKL I can re-check it to ROT.

OT: On a side note: I have total of 4 days, arriving into Rotorua Monday late afternoon and departing from Napier Friday evening. Would you rent a car to take the route and be able to stop along the way--in Taupo, for instance--or just pay the NZ$25 for the one-way bus ticket? It seems like quite a luxury to have the car for the 4 days, though looking at a few things (2 airport taxis, the bus ROT-NPE, and any other small transit costs), it would probably be about NZ$75-100 for that stuff together.
How much of the Rotorua-Taupo-Napier things to see and do are markedly easier and/or better with a rental car?
Thanks!
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:07 pm

car or bus

Are you comfortable driving on left in winter conditions over passes that do get slick (esp between Taupo & Napier) on 2-lane highways w/ limited shoulders, lots of slow-moving trucks, & infrequent passing lanes? Do you need a car in Rotorua to see sights? -- No. City buses & walking will get you most everywhere. Downtown Rotorua & Taupo are compact; lake in your face either place. Napier great for walking. I wouldn't bother w/ a car for such a short stay -- intercity buses are mostly very good. Besides, you'll be a bit jet-lagged when you get to ROT, why add to it by hopping in a car?
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
If you are comfortable driving after such a long trip I would get a car.
There are many things to see at Rotorua that are not close to the city, lakes, walks through the forest, Craters of the Moon, Lost Valley etc.
Napier after a day of looking around the city (max) has lots of vineyards to visit, Te Mata peak, that you need a car to visit, or if you are fit you could rent a bike to go around.
Traffic in NZ is not bad so you would not be stressed by it....only frustrated by the number of slow trucks with few passing lanes.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
If you are comfortable driving after such a long trip I would get a car.
There are many things to see at Rotorua that are not close to the city, lakes, walks through the forest, Craters of the Moon, Lost Valley etc.
Napier after a day of looking around the city (max) has lots of vineyards to visit, Te Mata peak, that you need a car to visit, or if you are fit you could rent a bike to go around.
Traffic in NZ is not bad so you would not be stressed by it....only frustrated by the number of slow trucks with few passing lanes.
Well, I grew up in Wisconsin in the US, learning how to drive with a few inches of snow on the ground from December through March.

So I'm OK on snow, and we rented a car on my last NZ trip--loved having one in the rural areas, since we'd stop off at parks and take the walking tours all around, hop back in the car, and go to the next place with stunning scenery. That was Greymouth>Hokitika>Fox Glacier>Wanaka>Queenstown, in August. No snow to speak of, actually beautiful weather, but found the driving to be quite easy and peaceful--especially since we weren't ever in a big hurry.
My big question is, on the Rotorua>Taupo>Napier route, along with sightseeing in those towns, how useful would a car be? Or would it just sit anyway, since they are compact towns and there's not much to see in between them? The price difference is quite big, but I'm willing to spend it if it might be worth it.
Sorry to be so OT. But I really appreciate the differing views!
Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 3:07 pm

your call

Well, the walk through the redwoods is an easy stroll from motel/hotel row (Fenton) & worth every step. 2 Maori villages & hot bubblers are also very near Whakarewerawera (by the redwoods). Agree that Craters of the Moon & Lost Valley are many clicks down the road to Taupo, but w/ only 4 days in NZ you have to be choosy & I'd choose Napier myself. (& there are some neat bubblers a few blocks from downtown ROT). A car is a pain in the butt in Napier unless you have a special out-of-town winery you want to visit. No special spots along the road from Taupo to Napier make any 'must see list' (also very limited services). Although originally from WI myself, I lived/worked in ROT for 3 yr & now spend my annual NZ holidays on the Mainland, mostly Golden Bay. Any day in NZ is a good day!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.