Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Grab a Seat' - 1 Day only Sale

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2006, 7:01 pm

Location: This is a personal account and my views and opinions DON'T represent those of my employer.
Care to cite your evidence that the total revenue creation plus associated goodwill was more than the total revenue dilution caused by offering the rock-bottom fares?

Do you really think NZ would have suspended grab-a-seat if they were benefiting from it?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:03 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by nz_crew
Care to cite your evidence that the total revenue creation plus associated goodwill was more than the total revenue dilution caused by offering the rock-bottom fares?

Do you really think NZ would have suspended grab-a-seat if they were benefiting from it?
I didn't say anything about total revenue creation. My point was related more to the Fife culture of cutting anything of perceived "cost" where cost is defined in a decidely biased manner - a prime example being ground staff.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, KrisFlyer, AC Aeroplan
It looks like grabaseat is just on vacation....

I just went to the NZ website, and the grabaseat link is there. When clicked on, the usual map comes up, but with a sign saying "Gone to the beach. Back in early Jan."

I have no idea what the revenue implications have been for NZ, but one thing I suspect is that grabaseat has got a whole lot of people checking into the website on a regular basis.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:21 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by debh
I just went to the NZ website, and the grabaseat link is there. When clicked on, the usual map comes up, but with a sign saying "Gone to the beach. Back in early Jan."

I have no idea what the revenue implications have been for NZ, but one thing I suspect is that grabaseat has got a whole lot of people checking into the website on a regular basis.
That's good news! Just checked it myself. The message was changed in the last few hours then, as it just said "Sold Out" earlier today. And I agree with you regarding the increased web traffic, which I'm sure was one of the prime motivators for Grabaseat in the first place. NZ (under Fife) most probably wants to move as much as possible of its bookings online.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by nz_crew

Obviously I don't have total revenue figures. I can only speak for myself that NZ netted more revenue through grab a seat than they would otherwise.

It also ensured I check the NZ website regularly, which I understand is one of the aims.

Given NZ controls the number of seats offered and it is a small number, any revenue leakage will be small and constrained to whatever they allow for.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by CHC Kiwi
That's good news! Just checked it myself. The message was changed in the last few hours then, as it just said "Sold Out" earlier today.
I sent an email to NZ enquiring about the "Sold Out" message which was patently untrue (no seats offered today) and then the message got changed before they replied to me.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 4:08 am
In Memoriam

Grabaseat is back up...
Old Jan 7, 2007, 11:12 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

trust CHC Kiwi to be the first to notice
Old Jan 7, 2007, 3:10 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
trust CHC Kiwi to be the first to notice
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:20 pm
In Memoriam

FYI, CHC-NAN is in play for May/Jun. About $290 all in for rtn tix.

Last edited by CHC Kiwi; Feb 21, 2007 at 2:47 pm
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:06 pm
In Memoriam

Just had an argument on the phone with an NZ supervisor re. grabaseat. AKL-RAR had been advertised this morning, so I waited until the usual time of 10am to price a flight or two. By 10.25am, AKL-RAR still had "try later this morning" or whatever it is. About a minute later this changed to "sold out". I got on the phone to query this and suggest there might be a problem with fare loading or the website. Supervisor told me things like "this site is available to the whole world, and the seats go very quickly", "agents buy up the seats", "a family of 10 can buy the seats" etc. I told her that I check grabaseat every day, and internationals just don't go in the space of a minute. I also said that it was my understanding that available seats were spread over a number of days, so the family of 10 would find it difficult booking out the entire alotment for a couple of weeks on just one or two flights. She continued to insist that the seats had really sold out in that time, and while we were talking the site changed to show 33 seats available AKL-RAR. I suggested that this indicated a problem in the original loading of the fares onto the grabaseat site, but she then claimed that the 33 seats becoming available was the result of people canceling. All this in the space of 10 minutes. At this point I cut my losses and said goodbye.

Who's correct?
Old Mar 1, 2007, 3:17 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Likely not loaded correctly. I see there is availability right now.

BTW I see NZ has reverted to defaulting to add insurance again. They had turned it off for a while after complaints the previous time they defaulted to add it.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:30 pm

This weekend the grabaseat programme switched gear from being partly a limited availability / capacity management tool to a competitive marketing tool? i.e. During the week JetStar announced $129 fares from CHC to Australia and both yesterday and today grabaseat shows plenty of seats CHC-BNE/SYD/MEL for $149.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

IIRC not the first time that has happened.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
AKL-SYD
AKL-MEL

WLG-SYD
WLG-MEL

$149 + taxes each way

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.