Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Booking Class guide - Air NZ international services

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Class guide - Air NZ international services

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:29 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Thank you both for your help ^! I am glad I didnt bite the bullet on the 72 hour sale fares then. As it turns out the distance between SYD and AKL is NOT enough for the EQMs I am short for status on UA anyway .

Back to the drawing board in my quest for status .
Old Nov 6, 2008, 11:27 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Something like SYD-NAN via AKL should get you enough miles. Will cost about $1000 though, so not cheap. You'd get more bang for buck by doing a quick trip to US.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Something like SYD-NAN via AKL should get you enough miles. Will cost about $1000 though, so not cheap. You'd get more bang for buck by doing a quick trip to US.
Thanks for that ^. Yes I see that would be a good option, however I dont have a spare $1000 right now and going to USA ex SYD is very expensive so that is definitely out. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will be a GM by FEB 09 - it is what it is .
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I will be a GM by FEB 09 - it is what it is .
Yes, sad - that! Maybe you can find an FT'er who will nominate you to 3P if you try, tho.

Dave
Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
A slightly cheaper option would be a trans-Tasman flight to CHC or WLG via AKL - the price is usually the same whether you go nonstop or via AKL, and you will of course earn extra miles. With no 500 minimum miles per segment CHC is probably preferable (463 miles vs 298). Still likely to cost around $850 once taxes etc are factored in...

Another option would be if you could find a cheap sale fare (non points earning) to a Pacific destination you could use that in one direction with a flexi saver fare in the other, assuming the distance is enough. E.g. SYD-AKL-RAR is 3,218 miles one way, and the flexi saver fares on the Pacific routes are usually only a small step up in price from the smart saver fares so it could be reasonable value.

Or what about a sale fare to Asia on TG or OZ?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 12:10 am

Thanks mad_atta ^ - you have made some good suggestions that I will certainly consider if my budget allows.

bseller - hmmm, know anyone who is that generous with their benies ??
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:11 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Ok, same old issue as ever.

I have a GLOBAL FLEXI FARE booked in to B outbound and M back. I need to move dates so I was looking to cancel this ticket and book a new one.

However the dates I am trying come up with a fare one way thats not refundable / may not earn miles on BMI DC.

Is there an advanced booking page for the UK site, I can't find it. As ever I want to give NZ more money, but cant find a way to do it...

Would there be a fee to call and change the dates?

tht
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ajnz
Yes, you should be fine. Of course, if you really want to check, just give the NZ call centre a call and ask them what booking class your ticket is in. They will be happy to tell you.
Finally got around to ringing ANZ and was told my fare class was KSPC1YC (I think they got it confused with fare code). I'm going to think that means I'm booked into K class, which I hope isn't the case as K earns 0% on US Airways, despite earlier reports all paid international flights on ANZ earn miles on other FFP.

For the record, I'm flying MEL-AKL-SFO on a Global Saver Fare.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Winglets747
Finally got around to ringing ANZ and was told my fare class was KSPC1YC (I think they got it confused with fare code). I'm going to think that means I'm booked into K class, which I hope isn't the case as K earns 0% on US Airways, despite earlier reports all paid international flights on ANZ earn miles on other FFP.

For the record, I'm flying MEL-AKL-SFO on a Global Saver Fare.

Any help would be much appreciated.
That would be your fare basis, and the first letter is generally what your segs will be booked into (there can be some exceptions to this).

When have there ever been reports that all paid international flights on NZ earn miles on other FFP?
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by tht
Ok, same old issue as ever.

I have a GLOBAL FLEXI FARE booked in to B outbound and M back. I need to move dates so I was looking to cancel this ticket and book a new one.

However the dates I am trying come up with a fare one way thats not refundable / may not earn miles on BMI DC.

Is there an advanced booking page for the UK site, I can't find it. As ever I want to give NZ more money, but cant find a way to do it...

Would there be a fee to call and change the dates?

tht
If you explain the circumstances the CSR can waive the 'service fee'.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Winglets747
Where did you hear/read that all NZ fares earn miles on all partner FFPs? That has not been the case for many years. Indeed, until recently some fares were not even earning on Air NZ Airpoints - this changed earlier this year.

K is indeed non-earning on all FFPs except for NZ, and yes the first letter of fare basis is normally the booking class.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 2:56 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
If you explain the circumstances the CSR can waive the 'service fee'.
I did ask about this, but she wanted to charge me GBP20 local services fee.. so I took the risk.. I looked at seatcounter.com and all the seats seemed to be in buckets that earned miles. Canceled my original ticket online (no fee for this) and brought a new one at over GBP300 less... its a GLOBAL SAVER FARE, so it will cost me GBP150 to cancel, but I called after I booked and it is in Q out and W back, both of which earn miles 100% with BMI DC....

tht
Old Dec 4, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
When have there ever been reports that all paid international flights on NZ earn miles on other FFP?
Ah, it seems there haven't.

I read this:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
note for longhaul all paid booking classes are now airbucks earning (although not necessarily earning to partner FFPs on the cheapest fares)
and skipped over the key part in parenthesis. Oh well, ANZ was still the cheapest by far and I guess I could earn with Air Points and use them for a Tasman flight or something.

Thanks everyone. ^
Old Dec 26, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
How do you search for NZ metal award seats on KVS?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 5:39 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taupo
How do you search for NZ metal award seats on KVS?
Via the [Awards/StarAlliance] Method, just like for all other *A carriers, e.g.:

[KVS Availability Tool 3.3.3/Platinum - SNT: Awards/StarAlliance/JP-ANA]
Code:
LHR  London Heathrow UK [EGLL]
AKL  Auckland Int'l NZ [NZAA]
SAT  01 Aug 2009 / 1 Seat

Carrier   Flight From Depart    To   Arrive    A/C       Availability
--------- ------ ---- --------- ---- --------- ---- ---- ------------- 
NZ        1      LHR  16:15     AKL  05:25 +2  744       FS/  CS-  YS+
NZ        38     LHR  21:05     AKL  09:00 +2  772       FS/  CS-  YS+

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.