Should I join the Koru Club?

Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Should I join the Koru Club?

I don't have, nor do I think I'll achieve in the foreseeable future, any level of NZ status. I also don't fly paid J.

But in the one or two long hauls I might make each year, plus maybe half a dozen domestics, I'm really partial to the use of lounges, and I do like the thought of bypassing long check-in queues even if it's only once or twice a year.

So is it worth joining the Koru Club?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Does Koru Club provide access to any non-NZ operated lounges? If it doesnt then limited to within NZ, Sydney, Melbourne, Los Angeles. I may have missed one or two.

If those half a dozen flights include to & from regional airports (eg NSN) then I'd say lounge access isnt worth much. Its only the main cities that have good lounges.

At the busier domestic airports you can bypass queues anyway using easy check-in (just need credit card or airpoints club card). If your international flights on NZ involve earlier (same day) connecting flight then you also can skip check-in queues at international terminal by checking right through.

Other than that KC may get better treatment when flying NZ but probably not when flying any other airline.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 4:54 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Koru Club

Yes I did miss several lounges as it appears KC enables access to the same lounges as business class travel on NZ (and I forgot about pacific island lounges operated by NZ ).

Personally I wouldnt find it worthwhile unless significant amount of domestic main trunk flying (where lounge access and priority is more valuable) and/or significant amount of long haul economy travel. For just a couple overseas trips its probably more cost-effective to find a lounge that provides day pass (for a charge).

And of course if *G is attainable that provides a lot more benefits.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:40 pm

I would say yes join. Especially if you fly out of AKL Intl. Air New Zealand are less interested at pushing Club membership then QANTAS.

In the off change you earn a gold status with Air New Zealand within 9 months of paying for it you recieve a partial refund.

Apparently Silvers also get discounted membership [can someone confirm].

Of course if you can fly 35,000 miles in a year join AC and get a *G card.

There are about 40,000 koru club members worldwide.
Old Feb 1, 2005, 8:50 pm

On a side note does anyone know how the Koru/Gold Changeover works ?
Is this how it works

When one qualifies as Gold they stay a Member but recieve no communication from Koru.

If one doesn't requalify they can join without paying a membership fee ?
Old Feb 1, 2005, 9:54 pm

I did that before getting status and it was worth it for me - I drank the $500 worth up in wines

I also scored to longhaul upgrades to J in that year (never before).
Old Feb 2, 2005, 8:58 am

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
I don't have, nor do I think I'll achieve in the foreseeable future, any level of NZ status. I also don't fly paid J.

But in the one or two long hauls I might make each year, plus maybe half a dozen domestics, I'm really partial to the use of lounges, and I do like the thought of bypassing long check-in queues even if it's only once or twice a year.

So is it worth joining the Koru Club?
How many Bum In Seat Status Miles do you fly a year? AC/AP offers *G status at just 35,000 miles, depending on how many miles you do a year, this could be a possibility.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taupo
How many Bum In Seat Status Miles do you fly a year?
Not 35,000.

This year I'll make maybe five NSN-AKL returns, a pair of AKL-LAX, and one set of domestic US miles LAX-TPA. That won't add up to 35k miles.

And thanks everyone else for your thoughts, I think I'll join up with KC, especially as I know I'll have 8 hours to kill at LAX later in the year with Mrs and baby KBD in tow . . .
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:16 pm

And thanks everyone else for your thoughts, I think I'll join up with KC, especially as I know I'll have 8 hours to kill at LAX later in the year with Mrs and baby KBD in tow . . .
Just a thought - I remember a thread some time ago where it was recommended to take a (short) taxi ride to a beach or seaside place not far from the aiport, even for stopovers of only 4 hours or so.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 1:21 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I'll have 8 hours to kill at LAX later in the year with Mrs and baby KBD in tow . . .
Is this on the way over, or on the way back?

You cant access NZ lounge at LAX on arrival. I imagine you could use it though it you have other flight from T2 at LAX - that means only northwest or air canada (are there any other airlines from there?).

Coming back then you'd get access no problem (as long as you already have bags checked through and onward boarding pass - check-in may not be open when you arrive at LAX?).
Old Feb 2, 2005, 5:46 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by Fliar
Just a thought - I remember a thread some time ago where it was recommended to take a (short) taxi ride to a beach or seaside place not far from the aiport, even for stopovers of only 4 hours or so.
That may have been me, as it is certainly what I did. I booked the LAX Westin for about $US45 (and on another trip the Sheraton Gateway LAX for about $US30) using Priceline and used them as a base for showering etc. With a child I would definetly do this - the Westin had one of the nicer hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Beverley Hills is about a $US25-30 taxi ride from LAX, and Santa Monica more like $US15-20. Both have [plenty of shopping options, although Santa Monica may be more family friendly.

With an 8 hour stopover you can spend 3 hours at the hotel, 3 hours sightseeing/shopping and still have 2 hours back at LAX.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Our fun-time at LAX is on the way back. We fly in from the Gulf Coast the afternoon before and will stay overnight at a Marriott somewhere. But our return flight is at 11pm or some-such and even with a late check-out that day that's still going to leave some time to kill. I'm thinking now that we'll leave the hotel around 4, check-in at LAX, and then chill in a KC accessible lounge until boarding . . .
Old Feb 2, 2005, 6:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I didnt think there were NZ departures from LAX that late.

I would ask NZ when check-in opens. Because you are stopping in LA overnight you wont have boarding passes already.

First flight from LA is 7:15 or 7:45pm depending on day of week. So likely no one there much before 4pm. However what I am unsure on is whether they will let you check-in at 4pm for a flight so many hours later.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:09 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I didnt think there were NZ departures from LAX that late.

I would ask NZ when check-in opens. Because you are stopping in LA overnight you wont have boarding passes already.

First flight from LA is 7:15 or 7:45pm depending on day of week. So likely no one there much before 4pm. However what I am unsure on is whether they will let you check-in at 4pm for a flight so many hours later.
They certainly let me check in about 4 hours or so early the last time I flew LAX-AKL. I arrived at about 7pm (ex LAS) and tried to transfer onto NZ1 (2? I can never remeber) which departed 9.45pm (I think). It was full so I was stuck with NZ5 which didn't leave until 11.30pm or so. There was no problem getting my baording pass and checking my bags....I just killed time by having dinner at the restaurant in the flying saucer thingy in the middle of LAX (very dull meal) then went up to the NZ lounge at about 8.30 or 9pm.

Rather than fight for a late check out from the Marriott and then being stuck with the child at LAX for a few hours I would still shell out the bucks for an airport hotel room overnight. I got some funny looks when I checked in and out of the Sheraton Gateway within about 3 or 4 hours, but it was worth the $US30 I paid.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 6:39 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
A sort-of on topic question: how is the refurbishment of the LAX lounge progressing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.