Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Any benefit to the bulkhead in J on the 787? Seatguru says it's "close to the lav/galley"
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Advance Seat assignment policy in coach

Can someone direct me to a discussion of what is involved in getting advance seat assignments in coach? We have two itineraries - one is an open jaw from SFO to Perth via Auckland with a return from Cairns, and the other a simple roundtrip from SFO to Cairns. I can't figure out what one has to pay for in advance and what one doesn't. I finally found a free seat on the SFO to Auckland but not the shorter legs. And I can't find how much one has to pay if one wants better seats.

Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If you have the Air NZ booking reference (ends in H) you can check for yourself online what is available and what the cost is (free if *G).
Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:29 pm

I did a booking with Air NZ domestic on Webjet and I got the Air NZ booking reference too. When I access the booking on ANZ website, I don't have option to select seats. Will that be the case until I check-in or do they open it at some point. May be my booking class is cutting it off.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
It can depend on the flight.
When it is close to sold out they block off seat select for everybody. I have a flight in a couple of weeks like this.
Also if they are shuffling equipment allocated to a flight they may block off seat select.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by CalgaryLankan
I did a booking with Air NZ domestic on Webjet and I got the Air NZ booking reference too. When I access the booking on ANZ website, I don't have option to select seats. Will that be the case until I check-in or do they open it at some point. May be my booking class is cutting it off.
Being able to select your seat is not a feature of cheap seat or seat+bag fares. You have to pay extra for seat selection.

If you have status with Air NZ (G/GE/Koru) it's free for all fare types.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 12:11 pm

Is it possible to pay for seats with airpoints after you've made the booking?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Being able to select your seat is not a feature of cheap seat or seat+bag fares. You have to pay extra for seat selection.

If you have status with Air NZ (G/GE/Koru) it's free for all fare types.
Thx - I think I picked seat + bag. So in this case can I select seats if I do online checkin? This is my first visit to South Island and I heard flying over South Island is great; so would like to get window. (Its A320 and ATR both day time flights)
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:41 pm

Quick question - first time for Mr stewart24 and me in BP - NZ 5 773
Seats 7K and 2A - or 10K and 11J?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by stewart24
Quick question - first time for Mr stewart24 and me in BP - NZ 5 773
Seats 7K and 2A - or 10K and 11J?
We found it best for 2 in-line (6A/7A, 3K/4K etc.); across the aisle it's harder to communicate.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
We found it best for 2 in-line (6A/7A, 3K/4K etc.); across the aisle it's harder to communicate.
Yep, totally agree. 6A/7A is the best for a couple, in my opinion
Old Mar 6, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by CalgaryLankan
Thx - I think I picked seat + bag. So in this case can I select seats if I do online checkin? This is my first visit to South Island and I heard flying over South Island is great; so would like to get window. (Its A320 and ATR both day time flights)
Should be able two, just expect to pay $5-10/sector for choice of seat. Note on the A320's 1-12 are all frequent flyer seats, without status you wont be able to select. You choice will be of like 13-28
Old Mar 7, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by serfty
The flight is this Wednesday March 11 so not many choices and most of the window seats are taken. Is it better to be in the main cabin? Does it make a difference? Why are seats 9J and 9K "blacked"out?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Main cabin vs smaller in J on the 777-300 is entirely down to preference.

First meal service is front to back and second service is back to front.
Smaller cabin I think feels more personalised, but the cabin crew traffic overnight is significantly greater and I found it annoying.1

De planning is usually door 2L so you can get off quick - although in London and sometimes Auckland (if your at gate 9 or 10) they use 1L so you could be last of J off in that case.

Bottom line I think it's absolutely down to personal preference I have colleagues who select the second cabin for preference - but I prefer 6/7 A or K

9J and K are blacked out for airport use - I've seen AirNZ use them for VIPs previously - but personally would think it's an odd choice for that - if you are a couple and there are no seats together ring the call centre and if you hit the right person they might call flight dispatch (or what ever its proper name is) and they might put you into them. But it bends the rules and is entirely dependent on who you hit in the call centre - but it certainly builds good will when they do!!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 12:32 pm

Thank you bce1. I appreciate all the information. I've booked 10K and 11J across the isle. I'll ask about 9K since that sounds like we'd be closer.

Does everyone get on the plane through door 2L? Or just J?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.