Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:52 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
I have fond memories of the Flying Pencils and the Fokker Friendships - remember those amazing psychedelic orange swirly patterned seat cover fabrics? They alone must have been a significant contributing factor to airsickness!

Re NSN, I think it gets occasional ATRs on the morning/evening peak flights from Wellington, but all other flights are Saabs.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:44 am

Programs: UA *G MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mad_atta:
By the way, just noticed a slight mistake in airnzboy's otherwise excellent and comprehensive seating information above - the business class seat width is shown as being the same in 744/763/762. In fact the seats are wider in the 747 and 737 (international config) than the 763 and 762, due to AirNZ's decision to install 2+2+2 seating in the 763/2. I'm not sure whether the 19.5" width refers to the wider or the narrower seats...</font>
So the 737 features "international" business seating? I assumed something like European business class and eliminated that option for flights between AKL-SYD. So that might be a nicer option than the widebodies in business?

Answering my own question:
http://www.airnz.com/travelinfo/onth...37300_dual.htm

The pitch is 45" so not as good as the widebodies.

[This message has been edited by gnaget (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Old Jan 31, 2004, 11:38 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mad_atta:
I have fond memories of the Flying Pencils and the Fokker Friendships - remember those amazing psychedelic orange swirly patterned seat cover fabrics? They alone must have been a significant contributing factor to airsickness!</font>
Thanks for reminding me

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Re NSN, I think it gets occasional ATRs on the morning/evening peak flights from Wellington, but all other flights are Saabs.</font>
You're right. Somehow I've always managed to miss those flights.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Nice info there.
One comment I wish to add about the 767-300:
If you fly economy on that plane (I never have though) the best seats are 15 and 16 J K. I believe they were once crew rest seats but are allocated to pax these days. Those four seats have similar space and recline as seats in Bus class!
[NB. This is based on what I observed walking arround the cabin to stretch legs. I have never sat there myself though. The larger space of these 4 seats can also be seen on the NZ seatmap.]
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:15 am

airnzboy -

Any updates on 737? I will be flying ZQN-AKL later this week...
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kiwi Flyer:
Any word on when the new biz class seats are being installed?</font>
Bump. I'm wondering as well.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

May 2005 is the revised date I've heard.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:22 pm

A question for airnzboy methinks.

Re the 744 on page 1 of this thread you show Business class bassinets at row 16 but the seating plan online appears to show another bassinet on the JK side in row 7, upstairs, which is also what was suggested to me by the AirPoints person who booked our award flights. Can you confirm which is correct?
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Hi kiwibigdave,

Row 7 upstairs does have the ability to have bassinets fitted, but unfortunately that bulkhead makes up part of the wall of the technical crew's rest area - and they have found that the noise from infants compromises their ability to get a good rest, so consequently Row 7 is no longer able to be allocated for bassinets.

------------------
All my posts are my own personal opinions and experiences and in no way represent the opinon of my employer.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:11 am

I paid ANZ a visit today and they assigned 13ABC on A320 and B73D to us as well as 1ABC on AT7. Any coments on these allocations? Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2004, 3:02 pm

Just wanted to update the thread re bassinets.

Spoke again to Air NZ after airnzboy's post above and was assured that row 7 on the 747 to BNE from AKL does indeed have a bassinet.

Maybe they don't exist there on longer haul flights?
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough..

Row 7 does have the facility to have bassinets fitted - but because of the technical crew rest issue I described above, they are no longer able to be allocated to passengers with infants.

I would assume when the 747 is operating shorthaul flights (such as AKL-BNE) that, because there won't be any crew sleeping, the bassinets can be fitted in Row 7.
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:59 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Does anyone have any seating advice for the Saab 340s, especially for a view junkie like me? I'm guessing the last row (11) probably has the most unobstructed view, but is this one of those a/c where they skimp on the legroom for the back of the bus? From what I remember, the Saabs are pretty squeezy at the best of times...
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:18 am
HLZ

Programs: NZ Silver/Koru, QF & EK
Hi all,

Also wondering if anyone has had a chance to see whether row 13 on the lefthand side of a 767-300 is a dreaded 'windowless row'? Air New Zealand thus far haven't deemed my query to them about it to be a top priority!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Rows 12 & 13 on 767-200 are near toilets, 13DEF (there are no ABC HJK seats in row 13) especially to be avoided.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.