Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best/Worst lounges on NZ network

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2004, 4:36 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Nartita Lounges

On the subject of lounges, are NRT-AKL fliers content to avail themselves of the sub-standard Yamato lounge, not operated by Air NZ, but where Air NZ customers are usually sent? Has anyone had any luck gaining access to the Club ANA lounge with an Air NZ C Class ticket?
Old Sep 20, 2004, 5:52 pm

Presuming the Club ANA lounge is the ANA J class lounge you can access it, due to Star Alliance Rules. Wonderful things aren't they.

Star Alliance - Lounge Access rules
Old Sep 20, 2004, 6:37 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I have a printout of that page and carry it with me when I'm travelling. It's proved useful on more than one occasion... ^
Old Sep 20, 2004, 6:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Glad to hear WLG koru club is back in action. The NPL regional koru club sounds very similar to the NSN one, except whenever I've been at NSN it has been much fuller. Still hardly worth stopping by for long as you can check in so late at the smaller airports.

Surely the absence of a BHE lounge makes you appreciate the WLG and SYD lounges that much more?
Old Sep 20, 2004, 7:17 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I think the Nelson lounge is much smaller, even though NSN has around 3x the number of flights per day that NPL has. Maybe that's because NPL is more of a business destination, with the gas fields etc, while NSN is more leisure?

Re the lack of lounge at BHE, it's just the principle of it really, as it's the only airport I regularly use where I don't get lounge access! There's clearly no room in the terminal for them to build a lounge, and besides I'm always being seen off by family so it's not as though I'd have the time to be using the lounge. Plus, as you said, one can arrive so close to departure anyway, though they seem to be cracking down on that a little, especially if you're connecting to an international flight. (The official line is you should be there 45 minutes prior if connecting to international, which in a place like BHE is absurd.) I noticed that all my flights seemed to be starting boarding a bit earlier than before, and every single flight pushed back ahead of schedule and arrived well ahead of schedule - maybe NZ is having a real push for more ontime departures?
Old Sep 20, 2004, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
International Business Class

Customers who present an international Business Class boarding pass, regardless of the Star Alliance carrier they fly, have access to all members' designated business departure lounges. Guests are not permitted.

Lats year I was flying on a super saver fare WLG AKL SYD then Biz Class SYD SIN CPT. At check in at WLG the agent said i could use the Lounge but when I got to the KC Istruck a real cow and she would not let me in cos I was not flying NZ in J acros the Tasman.

Was she correct or not????????
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:27 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I havent been to NPL lounge but yes NSN koru club is pretty small.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

AFAIK technically yes. You are supposed to be flying biz or first on *A for next onward same day flight. Of course in situations where you have a side trip it may not be obvious that it isnt your next flight, but in your case a different city so ...

However YMMV.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 9:20 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
Presuming the Club ANA lounge is the ANA J class lounge you can access it, due to Star Alliance Rules. Wonderful things aren't they.

Star Alliance - Lounge Access rules
Thanks. I thought this was the case, but have not been able to find the reference on the Star Alliance site. I am flyingto Auckland tomorrow so will be brandishing a print-out along with my boarding pass if necessary.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 12:31 am

May I wish you a good trip mcg1000.
Old Oct 8, 2004, 10:38 pm

Difficulty accessing ANA lounge at Narita with NZ ticket

Originally Posted by mcg1000
Thanks. I thought this was the case, but have not been able to find the reference on the Star Alliance site. I am flyingto Auckland tomorrow so will be brandishing a print-out along with my boarding pass if necessary.
I really had to lobby hard at the ANA lounge in spite of two pieces of paper (in English and Japanese) clearly stating I had the right to enter. The girls at the counter refused to budge claiming I needed Star Gold status (not true) but eventually phoned their supervisor, who seemed to know the rules, and I was admitted. Would probably go to the less comfortable JAL-operated NZ lounge next time to avoid the trouble.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 5:04 pm

I really had to lobby hard at the ANA lounge in spite of two pieces of paper (in English and Japanese) clearly stating I had the right to enter. The girls at the counter refused to budge claiming I needed Star Gold status (not true) but eventually phoned their supervisor, who seemed to know the rules, and I was admitted.
Great thing you put your foot down.

Would probably go to the less comfortable JAL-operated NZ lounge next time to avoid the trouble.
Please don't! Then this silly situation remains. (maybe that's what they're hoping for!).
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fliar
Great thing you put your foot down.

Please don't! Then this silly situation remains. (maybe that's what they're hoping for!).
Maybe it's time to pressure NZ to change code-share partners in Japan thus avoiding difficulties with regards to the lounge situation and NZ fliers?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by MrSydney
Let me get the ball rolling!!!

Best

SYD I would have to say. It's a nicely appointed lounge with a very contemporary feel about it. Lots of natural light. Love the views of the tarmac and gates. I could sit in this lounge for hours on end.

Average

AKL International. This lounge needs a 'fashion makeover'. It is looking
decidely gloomy - especially the inner lounge area - some brighter cours would do nicely. What I do like about this lounge is the great views of the gates, tarmac and runway.

Worst

LAX One word - Unspeakble

I think the best NZ lounge is Wellington International ..... and best international one is probably SYD
Old Dec 9, 2004, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by roundtheworld
I think the best NZ lounge is Wellington International ..... and best international one is probably SYD
Do you mean Wellington domestic / Koru Club? That would make sense... whereas Wellington International is a bit disappointing IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.