Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best/Worst lounges on NZ network

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Silver.Qantas.Emerates
Tauranga Lounge

A small improvement since I was last here. New coffee machine. Cheese and bakery items. A few more selection of drinks etc. Must listening to FF at last!
Will report on Napier next week.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 1121
Flying out of Wellington International Koru lounge next week. Hoping for an improvement to the hot breakfast offerings...toast doesn't cut it
When I flew out two weeks ago it was the stock standard breakfast offering - usual toast/cereal/fruit and frittata as the hot option. In other words the exact same offering as it's been for the last 2 or so years.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Silver.Qantas.Emerates
Napier Lounge

Was in the Napier lounge and noticed they now have big brother cameras watching everybody! Saw at least 3 cameras. Slight improvement on food options.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Auckland International

It's way busy tonight in here.

Got to the lounge around 5:30pm for flight to London, loud and packed, luckily managed to grab a seat at the end of the food/buffet area on one of the long benches with power points.

They actually made an announcement in the lounge saying "we are very packed tonight, can people please move their bags and belongings off the chairs to free up space for others".

Food wise, it's pretty decent compared with my last visit back in end of May. There are now 4 hot options: 3 vegetarian and 1 meat plus the usual salad bar items, 1 soup, 3 choices for dessert and a decent looking cheese platter (hard/tasty, soft/brie and aromatic/blue).

Actually went back for seconds, those Hokkien noodles with tofu combined with the usual chicken curry made for some satisfying combination.

Despite the crowd, food was constantly replenished and doesn't look like it's "leftovers". Plates and glasswares are cleared quickly too, never running out by the drinks section.

Boarding calls are also loud and clear despite all the noise.

It's closer to 7pm now and things settled down quite a bit with a few major flights boarding.

I would rate it a good 7/10 for tonight.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Originally Posted by Kamadan
It's way busy tonight in here.

Got to the lounge around 5:30pm for flight to London, loud and packed, luckily managed to grab a seat at the end of the food/buffet area on one of the long benches with power points.

They actually made an announcement in the lounge saying "we are very packed tonight, can people please move their bags and belongings off the chairs to free up space for others".

Food wise, it's pretty decent compared with my last visit back in end of May. There are now 4 hot options: 3 vegetarian and 1 meat plus the usual salad bar items, 1 soup, 3 choices for dessert and a decent looking cheese platter (hard/tasty, soft/brie and aromatic/blue).

Actually went back for seconds, those Hokkien noodles with tofu combined with the usual chicken curry made for some satisfying combination.

Despite the crowd, food was constantly replenished and doesn't look like it's "leftovers". Plates and glasswares are cleared quickly too, never running out by the drinks section.

Boarding calls are also loud and clear despite all the noise.

It's closer to 7pm now and things settled down quite a bit with a few major flights boarding.

I would rate it a good 7/10 for tonight.
Good to hear, despite the crowds.
I havent flown much in the past month or so, but was at AKL domestic at the end of last week and was impressed with the improvement in catering there (lunchtime). Seems NZ have actually taken customer feedback on board and have made improvements.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: NZ Silver
'Brinks chicken sausages' for breakfast last weekend looked horrendous, who knows what they tasted like. The other hot option was no better, some bean dish.

PMR had a hot soup and some nice muffins and slices though. I didn't think the disposable paper cups for the coffee machine fitted with AirNZ's 'clean, green environmental' image
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
some bean dish.
You mean, the (in)famous NZ bean cassoulet. Baked beans with a fancy name, because it's what they are to me.

The chicken sausages isn't *too* bad, of course people's palettes and preferences vary wildly. I am not a fan of it but when it's the only "meat" option around, it's better than none.

Last time I had that would've been mid-July. Least breakfast at AKL domestic to me is... consistent, almost like a routine...
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:08 am

On a more... serious note...

The enemies are invading! Spies are amoungst us...

... or maybe someone has a weird sense of humor.

Found this on the magazine rack tonight (AKL Intl.) while waiting for my flight.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I'm now addicted to the bacon bubble and squeak that is making the occasional appearance. The chicken sausages look awful but I thought tasted fine.

I've noticed a significant improvement in both on board and lounge food over the last 6 months and wonder if this has been a deliberate action.

I'm enjoying the food again after a dire 18 months.

BCE
Old Aug 15, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: NZ*E
I agree - it definitely looks as though they're rolling out a better array of food across the lounge network.

I tend to be in the WLG lounge for breakfast fairly often and it looks to have gone from in 'infamous' bean cassoulet and scrambled eggs on a good day to at least four different hot options along with some form of pastries which is a nice change.

Hopefully they keep it up long term...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
I am in the CHC domestic lounge almost every week and find that the hot food offering is generally very good. In particular, the chilli con carne is really good. Has been cooked for a long time and really flavoursome.
Good cheese, crackers and of course plenty of choice of beer and wine.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:51 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
I wonder if the previous extensive range of soft drinks will ever return or will it just be the pre-mix selection?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:38 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite, Krisflyer Gold, Qantas Gold
Got an email from Air NZ Myvoice asking me to take a survey of my recent SYD to AKL flight, which I felt obliged to complete given the $1000apd carrot waving around.
It specifically asked a lot of questions about lounge food offerings and asked if I had noticed an improvement since the 1st July, it also alluded to the fact that they have improved quality and selection.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
How is SYD Koru These Days

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has used the SYD Koru Lounge recently. I have not used it for about six months, since the SQ lounge repoened.

Have there been any improvements, particularly in morning catering?

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Nelson lounge

The Nelson lounge was standing room only this morning !

They had people taking survey information about airport improvements and I think they got quite a few mentioning the lounge being too small.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.