Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Streamlined Travel Trial"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
"Streamlined Travel Trial"

Spotted this last night at Auckland international arrivals.

Does anyone know what this is about?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Basically selected trial customers can avoid the green/red lines for customs and have an expedited journey.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
How does one sign up for that?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
http://www.customs.govt.nz/features/...s/default.aspx

maybe this?

My partner still travels on his UK passport as it still has a bit of time on it - ALWAYS gets selected out for screening haha, I've told him he can get his kiwi passport any time!! Mind you, he gets in faster when we're in the UK but that's not often.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
No. That relates to the introduction of Green Lane for NZ/Australian passport holders who were determined at risk assessment to not need x-ray (you can see from the page that it was last updated 2012). This trial is the result of what is summarised in this article and basically allows participants to skip risk assessment altogether and exit directly out through Green Lane.

If anyone is keen to know more... serve an OIA request on Customs and share the results here!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Yep I did the google search too and cant find anything.

Maybe someone coming through can ask the people there?

I wonder if there is a counterpart at departures?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Saw the lane there this morning. But not single person going that way and two very bored staff.
No AirNZ arrivals when I was going through though.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:28 am

Programs: NZ Koru
My understanding is that NZ is currently doing an trail with the NZ&AU authorities on possible ways of improving Tasman travel. Using automated processing.

I had recently read how NZ is or will be trailing with an select group of passengers at BNE being able to travel through the airport paperless once they have checked in, e.g. SmartGates will check your face, rather than needing your passport and same for the check at the gate.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
This?
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11645602
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: LH Senator,*A Gold, IHG Gold Ambassador, AB Gold, One World Sapphire, Accor Gold, A3 Gold
For Gawds sake let's hope they offer something to APEC card holders while they are at it.
Markhm likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by FlyKiwi
For Gawds sake let's hope they offer something to APEC card holders while they are at it.
Why? This is post-immigration.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Yip APEC is an immigration thing - and since you never have to wait any more than a few minutes at AKL for a Smartgate it's not really of any use in NZ.

For the sake of NZ's biosecurity I don't think there should be any ability to fastrack the biusecurity screening.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yip APEC is an immigration thing - and since you never have to wait any more than a few minutes at AKL for a Smartgate it's not really of any use in NZ.

For the sake of NZ's biosecurity I don't think there should be any ability to fastrack the biusecurity screening.
Disagree! I work in Agriculture so fully comprehend the reasons why we conduct face to face screening and do not have a problem. What
I do have an issue about is standing in a lane that extends out to baggage carousels, knowing that 30% of the pax are in the wrong line. My Express Pass issued in Aus, or Global Entry in USA still means I meet a MAF person..but can do that faster than everyone else.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:41 pm

As indicated upthread, the trial is a direct e-gate controlled entry into the Green Exit Lane (not to be confused with the Green Risk Assessment Lane) and bypasses the face-to-face Risk Assessment entirely. Still subject to the usual Green Exit Lane checks such as sniffer dogs: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11929986
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:45 pm

For those of you curious about how this trial turned out, from Biosecurity New Zealand:

There were 405 travellers involved in the trial, which ran from 7 July 2017 to 31 March and involved use of the “eLane” service some 1200 times. We kept a close eye on the trialists to ensure any biosecurity risk was managed, including screening them with detector dogs and doing random spot checks.

In the end, the trial confirmed a “trust”-based approach to passenger clearance has problems with managing biosecurity risk, particularly with hitchhiking pests and other cases where travellers are unware they are carrying risk goods. Illustrating this, one of the trialists was fined after a detector dog sniffed out a forgotten apple.

There are no plans to extend the scheme at the moment, although insights from the project will be used to inform future initiatives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.