Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ528 12/08/2017 Suspected bird strike

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:43 am
Original Poster

NZ528 12/08/2017 Suspected bird strike

Was on NZ528 12/08/2017 (Saturday) and the aircraft very suddenly lurched forward, followed by very hard braking. Some yelling was heard in the cabin. That's why you gotta buckle up.

Pilot shortly after announced a "very large bird" may have been ingested in the port-side engine and it is SOP to head back to the gate for maintenance to inspect. Apparently in his 13-year career he had not once had to do the procedure for a bird strike and joked to the amusement of the cabin that "all those hours in the simulator paid off".

Upon further inspection, the aircraft was fine. No bird strike. Happy flying!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Fly often enough and it may happen.

I've not had it yet, but have had a very rapidly aborted take off from AKL a few years ago when the tower spotted the remains of some birds on the runway that had hit the plane taking off just before us. We just had to wait on the runway for someone to clean it up, before going a round the taxi way and doing another take off (with time for the brakes to cool down enough).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
With time for the brakes to cool down enough
Funny you should mention that. We were delayed by one hour on arrival due to the brakes not being able to be cooled down. Apparently they have a fan to do this and the Christchurch one was currently on loan down in Queenstown.

17 passengers to Bali nearly missed their flight, but it was eventually held for them with 10-15 minutes to connect in AKL. Must say the crew handled it very well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.