Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Gold Star Alliance - expedited security lines at Auckland airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

(Edited)

Last edited by FlappyKiwi; Nov 12, 2017 at 2:00 pm
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
There is no such thing at Auckland Airport.

I suspect they're getting confused with the Premium check-in area which has it's own lift to dedicated Smartgate machine and immigration desk.

There hasn't been a single occasion I've ever used it where I've thought I'd saved time vs using the regular entry, but I'm sure there are times of the day where you may save a few minutes. It's certainly nothing like *G Gold Track at airports which can often save 15 - 30 mins waiting in queues.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by sbiddle
There is no such thing at Auckland Airport.

I suspect they're getting confused with the Premium check-in area which has it's own lift to dedicated Smartgate machine and immigration desk.

There hasn't been a single occasion I've ever used it where I've thought I'd saved time vs using the regular entry, but I'm sure there are times of the day where you may save a few minutes. It's certainly nothing like *G Gold Track at airports which can often save 15 - 30 mins waiting in queues.
haha, that is very true but there hardly any times at AKL that you have to wait 15 - 30 minutes....... and yes, I can understand how people may be confused over the lift and it can only be used by premium pax now they seem to man the door after renovation.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
For other airlines there sort of an express emigration line, from the main entrance but that requires an invite from the airline you're traveling with.

The NZ entrance does has the bonus that it pushes you towards the front of the line for AVSEC.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Security has changed recently maybe 2-3 wk ago. After premium machine passport checks you walk down a wide corridor with the masses and then directed into one of maybe 6 lines? I didn't see any signs for fast tracking at the time but was busy looking round at the new changes. No wait time. I'm out again in a couple of wks and interested to see if any fast track added.

Otherwise premium check in area is the same
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Security has changed recently maybe 2-3 wk ago. After premium machine passport checks you walk down a wide corridor with the masses and then directed into one of maybe 6 lines? I didn't see any signs for fast tracking at the time but was busy looking round at the new changes. No wait time. I'm out again in a couple of wks and interested to see if any fast track added.

Otherwise premium check in area is the same
Yep can confirm this is the new arrangement. Expedited immigration as per usual via the lift in Premium Check-in area (except now a SmartGate there as well as the immigration officer). But you just join the rest of the people clearing immigration and all proceed to security screening which is one line and a person directing you to which security lane (same as DOM). There's an assisted pax and crew lane but that's it.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: NZ *G
Bummer. Yet another frequent flier benefit lost. Air NZ may well blame AIAL, but we still lose out. In my experience the shorter queue always looked like it saved time, with some days looking like a massive difference.

Last edited by gratn; Jul 31, 2017 at 1:30 am Reason: Added final sentence
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: NZ G
I'd rather an expedited line at the other end. Landing in AKL at 5:30am on Sunday morning (from DPS) - the biosecurity queue was down past baggage line 3...

A line for NZ*G/E to get through biosecurity quicker would be a revelation.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:52 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by gratn
Bummer. Yet another frequent flier benefit lost. Air NZ may well blame AIAL, but we still lose out. In my experience the shorter queue always looked like it saved time, with some days looking like a massive difference.
It was my first time through the new changes and I think school holidays so pretty busy but there wasn't really any wait time to go to the security line and start unpacking laptop etc so it had better flow than the previous line. Hope that's maintained.

Originally Posted by AucklandIrish
I'd rather an expedited line at the other end. Landing in AKL at 5:30am on Sunday morning (from DPS) - the biosecurity queue was down past baggage line 3...

Generally have to agree although have had shorter lines than you've described lately (evening arrival) so been through quicker.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by AucklandIrish

Agree 100%. Every time I land in NZ I write to MPI and draw comparisons with Express lanes in other parts of the world. I suggested using the crew lane here in Chc so nonadditional resources are used. They are adamant they want a face-to-face. I get that, but why wait in a queue with frogs legs, wood, honey and shark fins from our visitors!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Markhm
Agree 100%. Every time I land in NZ I write to MPI and draw comparisons with Express lanes in other parts of the world. I suggested using the crew lane here in Chc so nonadditional resources are used. They are adamant they want a face-to-face. I get that, but why wait in a queue with frogs legs, wood, honey and shark fins from our visitors!
Auckland is now two queues for NZ citizens with a red and green lane and all visitors are in their own lanes.

The last few times I've been through AKL it's either much improved over what it was a year or so ago or I've just been striking it lucky.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Auckland is now two queues for NZ citizens with a red and green lane and all visitors are in their own lanes.

The last few times I've been through AKL it's either much improved over what it was a year or so ago or I've just been striking it lucky.
90 minutes from doors open to the cab off NZ7 the other day, was an absolute shambles down there.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
They don't police the lines at arrival customs is the issue. The other day a whole load of Chinese tourists just used the NZ Passport - Nothing to Declare (green lane) and no one from customs came up to them and put them in the Foreign Passports - Something to Declare line so it took forever.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
They don't police the lines at arrival customs is the issue. The other day a whole load of Chinese tourists just used the NZ Passport - Nothing to Declare (green lane) and no one from customs came up to them and put them in the Foreign Passports - Something to Declare line so it took forever.
I believe the absence of TV cameras there for a "reality" show is the problem. The sooner they are back and filming the better. Had there been a film crew nearby then there would have been a battalion of the people that dedicate their lives to protecting New Zealand's borders available. There would be none of this nonsense about having to go to lunch or on a break. We can only hope that they are back and filming soon.

Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I believe the absence of TV cameras there for a "reality" show is the problem. The sooner they are back and filming the better. Had there been a film crew nearby then there would have been a battalion of the people that dedicate their lives to protecting New Zealand's borders available. There would be none of this nonsense about having to go to lunch or on a break. We can only hope that they are back and filming soon.

You'll be happy to know that the signs were up on Saturday regarding filming of Border Patrol - no idea if it was related (given it's always pretty good coming off NZ281), but it was a smooth trip through even going down the yellow lane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.