Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Question about my connecting flight with ANZ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

I'm coming back from a cruise from Venice Italy for my honeymoon. We booked separate connecting flights (stupid I know) We land in terminal 2 in LHR at 1:45pm and we have 2 hrs 30 mins to make the connection. Do we have to go through passport control again also do we have do get our bags and check them again?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
IMHO this is tight with separate tickets. Pretty sure you will need to collect your bags. The queue for Immigration can be long and slow moving.
On occasions I've stayed overnight in London area for this very reason.

I've found this helpful to check single ticket timings.

http://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections#
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It will depend on if the airline operating your flight from VCE to LHR interlines on separate tickets.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
If you've booked an airline that interlines you can stay airside with a transit visa and you'll have plenty of time.

If they don't interline you'll have to clear immigration (allow 90 mins min at busy times) and then check in. If it's busy you'll be pushing it to meet the connection time.
​​​
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by foot56
I'm coming back from a cruise from Venice Italy for my honeymoon. We booked separate connecting flights (stupid I know) We land in terminal 2 in LHR at 1:45pm and we have 2 hrs 30 mins to make the connection. Do we have to go through passport control again also do we have do get our bags and check them again?
With separate tickets VCE-LHR & LHR-LAX-AKL you do not have a connection in the common use of that word. A connection is between flights on the same tickets/PNR. You have one flight ending and another starting.

What airline VCE-LHR?
What terminals does it landing & departing?
LHR terminal conformance check?
Checked baggage?
Passport of which country? (UK visa?)
2:30hr is little time to transfer (not connect) between 2 separate flights at LHR. No margin for your first flight to be late departing/arriving.
If your were connecting VCE-LHR-LAX on 1 ticket the risk is the airlines
With separate flights VCE-LHR & LHR-LAX risk is 100% yours.
Fail to check in/board you will be (may be) buying a new Air NZ flight.
I would be rebooking the VCE-LHR flight.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You don't have a connection. You have two separate flights. You don't provide much information, but I gather you are arriving into T2 and departing from T2 on NZ. You will not be able to through-check your luggage but will have to claim it and re-check-in when you arrive. It is a pretty efficient process, but you are cutting it close. You should note that, if you do not present yourself on time for the NZ flight you'll be declared a no-show and all remaining segments on that ticket will automatically cancel. You may then have to buy a new ticket (home?) at walk-up prices. This was, I'm sorry to say, not very smart.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: LH/G,KL/G,ABBA!
Are you SURE you're coming into LHR T2 from VCE ?

Unless you're flying VCE-XXX-LHR, AFAIK only direct VCE-LHR's
are BA into T5....that's another spanner in the works for you to consider !

RM1
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Routemaster1
Are you SURE you're coming into LHR T2 from VCE ?

Unless you're flying VCE-XXX-LHR, AFAIK only direct VCE-LHR's
are BA into T5....that's another spanner in the works for you to consider !

RM1
Based on a 1.45 arrival, it looks like AF via CDG - so two spanners really, a connecting flight (which according to google flights, is often delayed) and AF arriving into T4 not T2!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Just FYI, I made it to the plane with 30 mins to spare! I was able to use Fastpass during passport control to make my flight. Just wanted to give an update.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.