Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ and Visas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Originally Posted by Sam_87
Would Air NZ, stop someone boarding a flight if they didn't have the appropriate visas?

Bearing in mind this is a transit query and USA is the transit location.

Thanks in advance
As above, a thousand times "yes." Passengers may transit the U.S. if they are traveling on a passport from a visa waiver country (NZ and AUS both qualify) AND have received a valid ESTA (US$14 online application to make sure you're not a criminal or something). If not a VWP-country national, you need either a B1/B2 or a C1 visa. Lacking these, the airline would be doing the pax a colossal favor by denying boarding, since getting on the plane and being denied entry by CBP would be very unpleasant indeed and could hamper future travel to/through the U.S.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
ESTA

After you have made your application and paid the US $14 do they send you an approval or just a receipt ?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Beano
After you have made your application and paid the US $14 do they send you an approval or just a receipt ?
​​​​​​Normally both unless you were not automatically approved. What did it say after your clicked submit?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I got a ESTA last year the receipt & ESTA arrived by email in a few minutes after submitting on line.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When I got a ESTA last year the receipt & ESTA arrived by email in a few minutes after submitting on line.
No approval just the receipt
Can you check if it has been approved online?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:16 am

No approval just the receipt
Can you check if it has been approved online?
Yes on the ESTA site. You just log in.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:10 am

ESTA approval

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yes on the ESTA site. You just log in.
All good approval was shown online ...the approval email must have gone to the junk bin
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All good approval was shown online ...the approval email must have gone to the junk bin
Thats good
Can you download it so to have a hard copy?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Thats good
Can you download it so to have a hard copy?
There is no need.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:00 am

ESTA

Originally Posted by sbiddle
There is no need.
Just in case I saved it to my phone
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: AA LP pleb, QR Plat., Bonvoy Ti, IHG Diamond Amb, Foolish Hoarder of Miles, Fid. Def.
Just in case I saved it to my phone
Honestly, I'd suggest you carry a hard copy. 99.999% of cases go off without a hitch, but if you're that 0.001% it pays to CYA. Couldn't hurt; could save you a lot of grief on the off chance there's a typo anywhere in the USDHS systems.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:45 pm

I'm fairly certain that the website actually says you must print and bring it with you.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515
I'm fairly certain that the website actually says you must print and bring it with you.
Here's the official text from the site -

Do VWP travelers need to bring a paper printout of their ESTA approval to the airport?

No. DHS communicates a traveler’s ESTA status to the carriers. However, DHS recommends that travelers print out the ESTA application response as a record of their ESTA application number to confirm their ESTA status.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I have found it useful to have a record of the ESTA code with me (which I keep with my passport). There has been the odd time when the airline systems haven't automatically found my ESTA status and having the code means check in staff can input it and allow me to complete check-in. Without the code I would have had to visit the DHS site and attempt to re-register for ESTA.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I have found it useful to have a record of the ESTA code with me (which I keep with my passport). There has been the odd time when the airline systems haven't automatically found my ESTA status and having the code means check in staff can input it and allow me to complete check-in. Without the code I would have had to visit the DHS site and attempt to re-register for ESTA.
That differs from my understanding which was the Air NZ system lookup was only against your passport # as the ESTA is tied to this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.