Search

NZ - OS transfer at TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
NZ - OS transfer at TBIT

Hi Team,
Anybody recently made the transfer at TBIT off NZ onto Austrian?
Guess you pick up bags at TBIT and drop them at a transfer desk? Do you pass through security the same as NZ2 transit passengers?
Thanks
WLGNZ
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
No but I just did a NZ onto Swiss, and had to pick up my bags and drop them again.

I had to go through immigration and customs, drop bags, then go back through security upstairs. It was painful.

Last edited by Rebound; Jun 23, 2017 at 1:24 am
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: NZ Koru
I believe NZ1/2 are the only two flights at TBIT that have an special deal.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I believe NZ1/2 are the only two flights at TBIT that have an special deal.
Yup, I was there when the NZ 2 pax were passing through immigration. Someone asked if he could use the special transit lane, and was turned away as he was connecting to another flight despite arriving on NZ 2.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rebound
No but I just did a NZ onto Swiss, and had to pick up my bags and drop them again.

I had to go through immigration and customs, drop bags, then go back through security upstairs. It was painful.
Thanks for the comments.
Were your bags tagged to Europe and you could drop them at the transfer area, or did you have to recheck in at TBIT?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I though there was an expedited exit back through screening from the baggage drop belt rather than heading right and walking outside and going back though the main screening? Or am I getting confused with somewhere else?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I though there was an expedited exit back through screening from the baggage drop belt rather than heading right and walking outside and going back though the main screening? Or am I getting confused with somewhere else?
SFO has something like that - I don't recall ever doing that in LAX though.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by sbiddle
There is. Stay inside the terminal and head to the right, toward T4, and there's security screening there. But no TSA Pre, and it's often super congested when all the international arrivals come in.

Coming off UA99 in April, I just went upstairs and there was zero wait at all.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Thanks for the comments.
Were your bags tagged to Europe and you could drop them at the transfer area, or did you have to recheck in at TBIT?
Yes tagged all the way through to ZRH, the drop-off was easy but you collect your bags as any other passenger would then as you go to exit TBIT transit passengers go right and drop bags, then go back out and upstairs to go through security
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rebound
Yes tagged all the way through to ZRH, the drop-off was easy but you collect your bags as any other passenger would then as you go to exit TBIT transit passengers go right and drop bags, then go back out and upstairs to go through security
Thanks for the information.
Safe traveling.
WLGNZ
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
THIS. Your bags will be tagged to your final destination. You go through US Immigration, find the bag carousel, grab your checked bags, pass through customs. Then follow the signs for transfer passengers, tell them you're on Austrian and they'll direct you to the right bag transfer desk.

But then follow the signs to "Gates 44-xxxx" (or some similar number), where there's a lovely dedicated transfer passenger security queue. Then carry on to the *A lounge.

Originally Posted by ajnz
There is. Stay inside the terminal and head to the right, toward T4, and there's security screening there. But no TSA Pre, and it's often super congested when all the international arrivals come in.

Coming off UA99 in April, I just went upstairs and there was zero wait at all.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Update.
NZ6 landed on time. But had to wait 20 minutes for a gate. Through APEC line in 10 minutes. Rest of lines at TBIT were very long. Baggage arrived the same time I did to the carousal. 5 minutes for customs. Transfer security (on the right on the way out) had no line.
All in 30 minutes to the lounge from exiting the aircraft. Time for a shower before boarding for a remote gate for OS.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:25 pm

APEC card is the winner
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
My last 3 visits to LAX this year have been around 70 mins, 35 mins and 25 mins to clear CBP. First was on a new passport and ESTA so I got the dreaded X which meant longer queues to speak to a human.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.