Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Can I get an upgrade on mixed UA/NZ flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 2:21 am
Original Poster

I have a UA-ticketed & UA-flight numbers return itinerary to New York for later in the year with NZ metal for first and last two legs and UA metal on the middle two legs.

Will I be able to get any upgrades on this routing? I'm fairly certain that I can't do a OneUp as it's not NZ ticket stock. Can I use some of my APD to pay for an upgrade? Any other options?

Mods, this might be better in the United forum. If so, please move me over. Cheers.
Old May 20, 2017, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA thread on cross airline upgrades http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html
Old May 20, 2017, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
UA thread on cross airline upgrades http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html
That website seems to be about using United Miles on United flights. I am hoping to use Air NZ Airpoints on a United ticketed / operated flight for an upgrade. Maybe this is not possible?
Old May 20, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
No, you can't.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:18 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
In general I always thought you needed to have airline ticket A on metal A to use upgrades/miles from carrier A.

I don't think you can use NZ APD when on a UA ticket despite flying NZ metal.

The star alliance upgrades mean you can although there are exceptions e.g. SQ but given you're on a UA ticket I thought you would need UA miles.
Old May 20, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
UA will allow upgrades on UA flights ticketed by NZ (points, GPU, and RPU) but NZ restricts upgrades on NZ to flights ticketed by NZ (and only Elite can upgrade with APD)
Old May 20, 2017, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
That website seems to be about using United Miles on United flights. I am hoping to use Air NZ Airpoints on a United ticketed / operated flight for an upgrade. Maybe this is not possible?
No. Its about upgrading other Star airlines with UA ff miles
The principle is same with all airlines that participate.
Star Alliance have a cross airline upgrade scheme, subject to t&c's

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
In general I always thought you needed to have airline ticket A on metal A to use upgrades/miles from carrier A.
Not always. Star Alliance has a cross airline upgrade scheme. AA/BA/IB have cross airline upgrade scheme.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
I thought from the OP that it was the NZ flights which the OP wanted to upgrade. In post 3 it looks like it's actually the UA flights the OP wants to upgrade with APD

In that case you would need a YB fare (and I believe I availability)

As for cross airline upgrade arrangements, there is a closer to home arrangement where some LAN flights can be upgraded with QF points

Last edited by jswong; May 20, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Old May 20, 2017, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

In that case you would need a YB fare (and I believe I availability)
Yes, I saw this mentioned somewhere. I definitely didn't pay anything near a Y fare.

Seems like this is restricted to Elites only for APD upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.