Wiki Posts
Search

SP but not APD received?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
SP but not APD received?

Hi, my partner flew WLG-BOS return on a ticket purchased by our employer. She received the normal amount of SP for all the flights but only got the usual APD for the short-hauls, with no APD earn on either long haul (AKL-IAH and IAH-AKL). The two long hauls were both NZ operated and (I believe) NZ ticketed. Any idea why this might be?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Hi, my partner flew WLG-BOS return on a ticket purchased by our employer. She received the normal amount of SP for all the flights but only got the usual APD for the short-hauls, with no APD earn on either long haul (AKL-IAH and IAH-AKL). The two long hauls were both NZ operated and (I believe) NZ ticketed. Any idea why this might be?
Some employers (including Government agencies) buy tickets without APD accrual to avoid the appearance of extra perks for staff, tax complexities, and other reasons. It will be somewhere in her employer's travel policy.

Odd that she got APD on the short haul not the long haul. Phone AirNZ?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
My partner had similar - employer paid ticket. Received SP but no APD.

His previous employer tickets he received SP and APD.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
My partner had similar - employer paid ticket. Received SP but no APD.

His previous employer tickets he received SP and APD.
If it's a Government Dept the AoG contract offers both, but it's up to a specific department to set a policy which will apply to all staff. Many other corporates are also setting similar policies due to the potential tax implications that could. If you book through TMS or DCP and choose not to earn Airpoints Dollars you get a discount on the fare.

I'm pretty sure earn is only controlled on NZ metal, not codeshare or interline flights on non NZ metal.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Many other corporates are also setting similar policies due to the potential tax implications that could.
If any "corporate" is relying on this as the basis for not giving their staff the APD then they are not being upfront. Of course, if they are receiving a discount in lieu of APD earn then that's fair enough but Air New Zealand asked the IRD to make a determination on if APD / SP earn from employer paid travel was taxable and so, straight from the horses mouth:

from https://www.ird.govt.nz/resources/e/...f6/pd09009.pdf

• No income arises to the Member [...] when they receive Airpoints Dollars or Rewards.
  • The employer of the Member is not liable [...] for FBT [Fringe benefits tax] on any benefits obtained by the Member as a result of receiving Airpoints Dollars or Rewards.

Unless the ruling has changed since it was published, there is a 99% chance of it being shonky IT systems. OP, have you contacted Air NZ about this directly?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:31 am

I have for some time noticed that flights booked for me by a corporate I am involved with earn SP but not APD - they used to accrue both. When I first noticed this I checked directly with Air NZ and they told me it is because the travel arranger HRG pays a rebate to the corporate and gets cheaper fares by waiving AP earn.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox
I have for some time noticed that flights booked for me by a corporate I am involved with earn SP but not APD - they used to accrue both. When I first noticed this I checked directly with Air NZ and they told me it is because the travel arranger HRG pays a rebate to the corporate and gets cheaper fares by waiving AP earn.
All AoG bookings via TMS or DCP get cheaper fares if they waive APD earn.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
If it's a Government Dept the AoG contract offers both, but it's up to a specific department to set a policy which will apply to all staff. Many other corporates are also setting similar policies due to the potential tax implications that could. If you book through TMS or DCP and choose not to earn Airpoints Dollars you get a discount on the fare.

I'm pretty sure earn is only controlled on NZ metal, not codeshare or interline flights on non NZ metal.
Yeah there are more people in the organization up here so I guess they've gone with the most economical policy. I called Air NZ and they said it was a cheaper rate offered hence no APD. Nothing I can do but his travel with work is minimal anyway.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Thanks, this would seem to make sense though isn't it odd that the short haul flights would earn APD but not the long-haul? They're all booked on the same itinerary... maybe I should call Air NZ
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Thanks, this would seem to make sense though isn't it odd that the short haul flights would earn APD but not the long-haul? They're all booked on the same itinerary... maybe I should call Air NZ
Probably because of the domestic flight is an international add-on. I believe the H and Y classes use for this aren't automatically excluded from earn because of the way they're ticketed.

I'm not sure what benefit there would be asking Air NZ - it's not like you're going to earn any more.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Have you tried claiming APD on the missing APD page on line?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Markhm
Have you tried claiming APD on the missing APD page on line?
Nothing is missing so there is nothing to claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.