What If I'm HOPING to get bumped?

Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by DGCA3
As I mentioned, I simply can't cancel the flight, which is what I'd prefer. I can get a credit, IF I'm booking a new flight to replace it, plus the $200 change fee. The thing is that I don't know when I'll be able to go again. On American, I could simply cancel, then use that credit within a year of purchasing the original ticket.

I did do a preliminary change on their website to see what the prices were. If I was to fly out in late September, the price would only be the change fee of $200. But I don't know if that will be good for me. I think it's best to just cut my loses and lose this and plan better next time.
From what I understand based on comments here and from a friend who did this recently, you should be able to get credit for a future flight, provided you use it within a year. It doesn't have to be to London and you don't have to book it now. At least that was the case for my friend.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaProf
From what I understand based on comments here and from a friend who did this recently, you should be able to get credit for a future flight, provided you use it within a year. It doesn't have to be to London and you don't have to book it now. At least that was the case for my friend.
In my case, it clearly states it can't be canceled, only changed. Wich means I've got a week before changing is not even an option, and no credit is given.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
Isn't cutting your loses taking the credit and then seeing if you can use it in the future? Not just leaving it to become completely worthless?
Well, not exactly. Changing the fight to a future date that I'm not sure is completely doable would just be adding to my losses, as I would've​ lost another $200.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:24 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Well, not exactly. Changing the fight to a future date that I'm not sure is completely doable would just be adding to my losses, as I would've​ lost another $200.
But isn't that the entire fare less $200 more than you would have if you abandoned the ticket?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
But isn't that the entire fare less $200 more than you would have if you abandoned the ticket?
I see your point.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

I went ahead and changed the ticket to the last week in September. That's when the prices were back down to the $690 I paid. The downside is that I can't pick my seats as of yet.

Thanks for the input by all.

Last edited by DGCA3; Apr 16, 2017 at 11:04 pm
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
I went ahead and changed the ticket to the last week in September. That's when the prices were back down to the $690 I paid. The downside is that I can't pick my seats anymore. They will be assigned upon boarding. So, hello middle seat! I'm not sure why I'd get penalized if I paid their fee..
Typically when you make an change with NZ it will lock of seat selection for an period of time, then come alive again after an couple of days. It will be something todo with the re-ticketing, that needs someone to run an proccess etc on.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Typically when you make an change with NZ it will lock of seat selection for an period of time, then come alive again after an couple of days. It will be something todo with the re-ticketing, that needs someone to run an proccess etc on.
Thanks for the info, Caveman. That makes sense. I'll check back with their site in a few days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.