Wiki Posts
Search

Rough guess for a fare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2017, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Rough guess for a fare

Hi, it looks like if I purchase one WLG-LAX leg in J I'll make it to Elite. I have to do the trip at the end of May anyway so am considering it. Any guesses as to how low the fare might go for that leg? Currently seeing about US$2750 but a couple of days ago it was $2350, so I'm wondering if it will continue to go up or decrease.

I've done something like 10 round trips in Y in the last year so am very good at playing the price guessing game in Y but have never paid for J ... can someone with more experience weigh in?

thanks!
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
You can often get the leg significantly cheaper by booking ex-Australia rather than ex-NZ, despite that being counter-intuitive as it involves an extra sector.

Try going SYD-WLG-LAX instead of WLG-LAX and see whether it reduces it. Bear in mind positioning costs in order to do it though.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Sorry do you mean booking it with SYD as the starting point? I'm coming from WLG, so would that mean that I would just skip the first leg of the flight? (is that allowed? on US tickets I think if you miss the first leg, your whole itinerary gets cancelled)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Sorry do you mean booking it with SYD as the starting point? I'm coming from WLG, so would that mean that I would just skip the first leg of the flight?
No. the suggestion is you pay to go to WLG-SYD on a separate (Y?) ticket. Then start your J journey in SYD-AKL-LAX.

It can be a lot cheaper depending on the markets involved.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:03 am
Original Poster

ah, gotcha. will see what I find though 6-8 hours for WLG-AKL may be a bit much...

Has anyone got a sense of what a J fare costs on the usual NZ2/NZ6 AKL-LAX?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I used to keep track of what sale prices were like and had 3199 one way for AKL-LAX but I remember some of the prices going lower for other routes than what I had.

Aussie website for some dates in May are 4688AUD so 5151NZD return from BNE - AKL - LAX.

A number of airlines it's cheaper to fly through the hub rather than direct from the hub. I've heard of 4100 AUD before. It's annoying Aussies get good deals but at the same time At the moment I can't be bothered flying backwards to fly forwards. But it would save you a few thousand if you bought cheap Y fares to Oz. And no I don't believe you can skip the first leg. You could make a little weekend out of it in Oz?
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Sorry do you mean booking it with SYD as the starting point? I'm coming from WLG, so would that mean that I would just skip the first leg of the flight? (is that allowed? on US tickets I think if you miss the first leg, your whole itinerary gets cancelled)
This is pretty much the case with all airfares.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Google "hidden city pricing" to learn a lot about how potentially skipping a flight can save you money, however it is normally done by missing the last flight, not the first.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Managed to find one for ~NZ$3300 as part of a multicity flight; with the added Y flight to SYD everything was north of NZ$4500, plus the additional 8-10 hrs of travel...
Old Mar 18, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
NZ$3300 AKL to LAX is a pretty good price.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by samuelmehr
Managed to find one for ~NZ$3300 as part of a multicity flight; with the added Y flight to SYD everything was north of NZ$4500, plus the additional 8-10 hrs of travel...
To get the Australian fare you need Australia to LAX to be a separate ticket from WLG-Australia. Just remember to have enough time built in for delays in your flight from WLG since separate tickets do not offer misconnect protection.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

The J fares from AU were all already above AU$4000 so the additional separate ticket from WLG-SYD pushed it to over NZ$4500. I think if the SYD-AKL-LAX fare had been closer to AU$2000 I'd have considered it given the 50% increase in travel time, but I doubt it ever goes that low.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
The lowest I've ever seen NZ fares MEL-LAX were appx AUD 4800 return in J class. Haven't seen that in a couple of years though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.