Wiki Posts
Search

WLG Int Lounge access on SQ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
WLG Int Lounge access on SQ?

Flying SQ Y departing WLG-CBR. If SQ ticket, accruing to SQ but currently no status, can you still use NZ E to access NZ lounge? I'm guessing not.

But when I was accruing to VA without status (although I guess flying NZ) I had lounge access via NZ status so thought I'd ask.

Had a quick google, doesn't seem to be any priority pass lounge but something called a wild at heart international lounge pay as you go. Anyone know if that still exists? I'm hoping weather is good in Welly and I can bring my AKL flexi flight forward closer to the SQ flight so I don't have such a boring layover.

Maybe I should have stuck with NZ but it's still a 1 stop to CBR either way. Just thought I'd try something different. I think I may even have a middle seat!! Seriously hoping the loadings are light on that leg.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:22 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Flying SQ Y departing WLG-CBR. If SQ ticket, accruing to SQ but currently no status, can you still use NZ E to access NZ lounge? I'm guessing not.

But when I was accruing to VA without status (although I guess flying NZ) I had lounge access via NZ status so thought I'd ask.

Had a quick google, doesn't seem to be any priority pass lounge but something called a wild at heart international lounge pay as you go. Anyone know if that still exists? I'm hoping weather is good in Welly and I can bring my AKL flexi flight forward closer to the SQ flight so I don't have such a boring layover.

Maybe I should have stuck with NZ but it's still a 1 stop to CBR either way. Just thought I'd try something different. I think I may even have a middle seat!! Seriously hoping the loadings are light on that leg.
You have access to the lounge as you are Star Alliance Gold flying on a Star Alliance Airline.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Loadings are "light" because they can really only sell 1/2 the plane as most pax are flying through to SIN.

There has never been an International Wild at Heart lounge. There was one (also called the Corporate Box) inside the terminal landside but that was truly dismal and closed about 3-4 years ago. It made a UA lounge look like a 5* experience.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Loadings are "light" because they can really only sell 1/2 the plane as most pax are flying through to SIN.

There has never been an International Wild at Heart lounge. There was one (also called the Corporate Box) inside the terminal landside but that was truly dismal and closed about 3-4 years ago. It made a UA lounge look like a 5* experience.
Not really relevant now but there was a small lounge airside. In The Rock, northside there are stairs going up to a mezzanine area that had some seats with a small amount of drinks (in glass door bar fridges) and finger/snack food. IIRC you had to pay extra on top of the airside Wild at Heart lounge, old domestic Qantas Club area run by Mojo, paid access fee.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WLG Base
You have access to the lounge as you are Star Alliance Gold flying on a Star Alliance Airline.
Good to hear! I was hopeful but wasn't sure.

Middle seat in my own row would be wonderful . I thought they might be blocking a few seats out for now. If I don't get my own row then I'll cross my fingers for a window seat at the least.

Interestingly the price wasn't any different between a single PNR and separate tickets so figured the flexibility was better on the separate tickets to go earlier in the day if crap weather forecasted for later so I could at least be there for departure. But if good weather then I'll fly later in the day.

The stuff article for the Wild at Heart lounge was from 2009 so I figured it might not be there anymore and it's been a few years since I flew international out of WLG but didn't remember any signs for non airline lounges.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

The price for single PNR on SQ incl NZ domestic leg was the same as splitting the fare to NZ flexi and SQ Y so I chose to do that in case of issues with WLG weather and the peace of mind to be able to catch the next flight to Welly.

I've read previously that a domestic leg as part of an international NZ itinerary becomes a flexi fare so you can adjust without fees. Anyone know how this works with an SQ fare on an NZ dom flight first? The AKL-WLG leg.

Also turns out AKL domestic said they couldn't check me through. Anyway staff bottom line was they couldn't do the passport check and check me in for the international leg too and they were the only airport in the country with domestic and international separated.

My answer was - well TRG could do it for me with a domestic leg first then separate international leg but they stuck with the above. And I asked - given you can buy SQ tickets from AKL-WLG-CBR single PNR how did they then check-through those passengers?
And NZ has checked through on separate NZ and SQ flights previously.

Anyway, getting into WLG international lounge the agent said it wouldn't work with my SQ FF# in the booking so changed it on the pc but never reprinted the boarding pass (which AKL agents have always done if switching FF #'s - or I've at least insisted when it's been an important flight to credit elsewhere). I was expecting a wee issue at the gate but no issue and I have the BP to send to SQ if points don't post.

When I search NZ for AKL-CBR there are no NZ route's via WLG (presumably the TT fare is better for NZ than the dom fare although I read they were codesharing with SQ on this route but must only include all the way through to SIN rather than just to CBR?)
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...ance-agreement.

Security didn't open up until 1hr50min prior and I was glad I didn't take an earlier flight down. The lounge food offerings seem similar to when I flew WLG-BNE a couple of years ago. Not my favourite. What are the chances of getting into the domestic lounge while waiting? Otherwise I think I'd be off into town for any transit time.

Coming from AKL and thinking I could avoid SYD and VA..... well I'm not too sure about this as an alternative.

Flight was pretty damn full! Plane interior was pretty damn old incl IFE. Good for TT, don't think I'd fly it through to SIN (although plenty of others obviously did. Maybe 50-60 pax got off in CBR)

Anyone know if the domestic leg AKL-WLG of a single PNR bought from SQ is also flexi??
Anyone know if AKL domestic can check you through on a single PNR from SQ AKL-WLG-CBR?

I am happy this route seems to be working out for SQ.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:23 pm

With the announcement this week the route is under review I'm not sure it is working out as well as hoped. They're happy with numbers, but have put on hold plans to upgrade CBR-SIN to the A380 and keep the 777 for TT only. They seem happy with passenger numbers, but that doesn't mean the route is delivering financially. It wouldn't surprise me if they're after bigger handouts from Wellington and Canberra to keep the flights.

If a domestic connection is booked as a domestic add-on then it can be changed on the day of travel. I'm assuming the connection with SQ may use this and not simply an SPA fare (which I'm not sure of the fare basis rules).

As you're *G and flying of a *A carrier same day there should be no issues using the domestic Koru before departure. I've used it once before a NZ TT departure to catch up with somebody and had no issues. Koru staff did politely telling me there was an Intl lounge and that I need to allow time to get there as there are no boarding calls or announcements.

As for AKL domestic staff not being able to process things it probably is a unique situation for them and something I'd doubt many people would ever do, unlike regional ports or WLG/CHC/DUN where many pax are intl flying via AKL. Maybe they're simply not trained in all the requirements for this.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
The CBR route is neither good on price nor the actual product. There are many J/PE options ex AKL and would seem to be like a pointless route. I've personally known people who have done J on this and swear never to do it again. Plus it was reported the lounge isn't available at CBR-SIN leg due to the timings
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:32 pm

The lounge is before immigration (VA only built it for domestic) so can't be accessed in transit anyway.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

With the announcement this week the route is under review I'm not sure it is working out as well as hoped. They're happy with numbers, but have put on hold plans to upgrade CBR-SIN to the A380 and keep the 777 for TT only. They seem happy with passenger numbers, but that doesn't mean the route is delivering financially. It wouldn't surprise me if they're after bigger handouts from Wellington and Canberra to keep the flights.

If a domestic connection is booked as a domestic add-on then it can be changed on the day of travel. I'm assuming the connection with SQ may use this and not simply an SPA fare (which I'm not sure of the fare basis rules).

As you're *G and flying of a *A carrier same day there should be no issues using the domestic Koru before departure. I've used it once before a NZ TT departure to catch up with somebody and had no issues. Koru staff did politely telling me there was an Intl lounge and that I need to allow time to get there as there are no boarding calls or announcements.

As for AKL domestic staff not being able to process things it probably is a unique situation for them and something I'd doubt many people would ever do, unlike regional ports or WLG/CHC/DUN where many pax are intl flying via AKL. Maybe they're simply not trained in all the requirements for this.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-2...-route/8371370

I had a read of that and took it to mean they were reviewing it to optimise it. Seems they're seeing some growth which is good. I always equated bums on seats to $$ but obviously my flight probably isn't representative (>95% full at a guess).

I'm still debating whether I'd fly this route again. There's a few niggles in there. I'd be happy with the WLG dom lounge though and I doubt getting through security later rather than earlier and to the gate is going to be much of an issue. Would be great if AKL could check luggage through though. I guess SQ's back up plan would be to put me on NZ/VA via SYD anyway if there were any weather issues preventing me getting into WLG. I might check a couple of things directly with SQ. No priority security, no priority bag. Just the priority check-in. Even then the little *G logo is not obvious at the bottom of the signs. It's like they don't want you to notice it!

Anyway if you were only flying WLG-CBR then it's still pretty good having a direct flight.

Originally Posted by dadig
The CBR route is neither good on price nor the actual product. There are many J/PE options ex AKL and would seem to be like a pointless route. I've personally known people who have done J on this and swear never to do it again. Plus it was reported the lounge isn't available at CBR-SIN leg due to the timings
True I think NZ's products TT are better, even on the A320.

SQ announced something about a complimentary snack and beverage for J pax in the terminal prior to disembarking.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:46 pm

Out of curiosity why fly AKL-CBR-SIN?

Getting through international screening and immigration at WLG is a breeze even at the worst of times. For TT departures in the morning it's normally somewhere in the vicinity of 12 - 15 mins from walking into the terminal to Koru (incl check-in).

Some assumptions were made about WLG-CBR traffic numbers and I've heard these are slightly under what was expected. One of the target markets was for diplomatic/government related business but this may not have gained the success they hoped for.

I was tempted to try it coming back from the UK in July as I haven't been to Singapore for probably 15 years now. Routing SIN-WLG was more expensive on all the days I looked vs SIN-AKL-WLG even factoring in overnight accommodation if I opted for NZ metal from SIN. In the end the deal breaker was NZ metal LHR to AKL ended up being cheaper than via HKG, SIN or PVG and there was A availability at booking on both sectors.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 9:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Each time I've flown this flight, WLG immigration opens about 2.5-3 hours before departure.

Normally with SQ fares any domestic NZ flights are on a fairly low booking class (so don't count on any flexibility). Indeed I often need to book domestic separately and just have SQ fare to/from AKL due to a lack of availability on the domestic flights.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Out of curiosity why fly AKL-CBR-SIN?

Getting through international screening and immigration at WLG is a breeze even at the worst of times. For TT departures in the morning it's normally somewhere in the vicinity of 12 - 15 mins from walking into the terminal to Koru (incl check-in).

Some assumptions were made about WLG-CBR traffic numbers and I've heard these are slightly under what was expected. One of the target markets was for diplomatic/government related business but this may not have gained the success they hoped for.

I was tempted to try it coming back from the UK in July as I haven't been to Singapore for probably 15 years now. Routing SIN-WLG was more expensive on all the days I looked vs SIN-AKL-WLG even factoring in overnight accommodation if I opted for NZ metal from SIN. In the end the deal breaker was NZ metal LHR to AKL ended up being cheaper than via HKG, SIN or PVG and there was A availability at booking on both sectors.
No my destination was CBR, not SIN. I'd definitely fly AKL-SIN direct. But CBR is a single stop via SYD or WLG from AKL. I would get a widebody TT via WLG also. So it came down to either flying VA's ATR or NZ's A320 on the short legs and presumed ease of transfer factor. I guess I was looking for a different experience TT (which I received), along with a few other factors.

The WLG security line was the 2nd longest line I'd been in in NZ apart from AKL arrivals/customs, (which is nothing on some other places). Nice to see they have the speedy passport check machines. I can't remember exactly when AKL switched to these on entry but it beats getting the card from the kiosks and they feel a bit faster than Oz ones.

I think I preferred Scoot biz to flying SQ's 772. TT is fine but I wouldn't go any further. I don't fly much SQ at all but don't recall such an aged interior.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Each time I've flown this flight, WLG immigration opens about 2.5-3 hours before departure.

Normally with SQ fares any domestic NZ flights are on a fairly low booking class (so don't count on any flexibility). Indeed I often need to book domestic separately and just have SQ fare to/from AKL due to a lack of availability on the domestic flights.
Maybe I was unlucky in WLG but I jumped in line and then 1-2min later realised I wasn't moving anywhere - jumped out and looked up the front and realised the door wasn't even open to go through so went and found a seat.

I unfortunately booked a bit late and the price between NZ flexi + SQ TT was similar to SQ single PNR.

Kiwiflyer has AKL domestic checked you right through to CBR/SIN even if on a single SQ ticket?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Did you earn better APD/SP on the WLG-CBR sector on SQ than on NZ trans-Tasman with similar price?
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
In Jan I flew AKL-WLG-CBR-SIN on an Avianca J award booking (I have no Avianca status, but put my NZ and SQ statuses into the respective legs' bookings).

At AKL I was able to switch to an earlier flight, but they wouldn't check me through to SIN (I had no bags). Used the WLG domestic lounge without even a comment from the lounge ladies, although the lounge closed well before the SQ flight.

At CBR, you present a J BP to the food kiosk and you have about $20 to spend. However, there is very little food remaining at that hour (even the kiosk lady advised against getting any - it looked pitiful).

Yes, SQ plane is old, but you know that going in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.