Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase upgrade on check in ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Purchase upgrade on check in ?

Flying AKL-IAH. Does Air New Zealand offer the purchase of upgrades during online check in? Sitting in Y, but am interested in SkyCouch, PE or B. FYI, flying on an Aeroplan reward ticket
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
During online check-in, no. At physical check-in you can upgrade for the fare difference on a paid fare.

The fact you're on a reward ticket means you will have no option to upgrade.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Award tickets can not be upgraded, so you are out of luck for this
Old Mar 15, 2017, 1:19 am

Out of interest, how does one calculate the "fare difference"? i.e. if you have purchased an S Economy fare.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I have called the contact centre before, and it appears the answer is "with a calculator" (as I heard a lot of "and that's $447 paid, carry the one ... that'll be $2108")

I jest slightly. You'd have to dig out your original e-Ticket receipt which will have the cost per leg on it.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
I have called the contact centre before, and it appears the answer is "with a calculator" (as I heard a lot of "and that's $447 paid, carry the one ... that'll be $2108")

I jest slightly. You'd have to dig out your original e-Ticket receipt which will have the cost per leg on it.
What I'm getting at is, it's a set price? i.e. a S class fare costs $400 while a J class fare costs $1000, you would pay $600 in fare difference. How do we find out the booking class that would be used for the upgrade (i.e. is it always J)?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:00 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by codyc1515
What I'm getting at is, it's a set price? i.e. a S class fare costs $400 while a J class fare costs $1000, you would pay $600 in fare difference. How do we find out the booking class that would be used for the upgrade (i.e. is it always J)?
Essentially yes, but there are some complexities. New booking class will depend on what is available to be use (as well as fare rule restrictions).
Old Mar 16, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
They also offer last minute discounted cash upgrades at check-in/lounge if you ask. But these don't Issue you a new fare class, which means you dont earn extra points. So make sure to ask.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
S2S - Self upgrade to PE

Anyone else noticed that it doesn't seem possible to upgrade Tasman fare your self to PE? e.g. they let you upgrade to Works Deluxe, but don't give you the option for PE.

Anyone had luck with getting the service fee waived via the call centre for the Seat Only to PE on the Tasman? due to the lack of there websites ability todo it
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Anyone else noticed that it doesn't seem possible to upgrade Tasman fare your self to PE? e.g. they let you upgrade to Works Deluxe, but don't give you the option for PE.

Anyone had luck with getting the service fee waived via the call centre for the Seat Only to PE on the Tasman? due to the lack of there websites ability todo it
It's not possible (and never has been) to change fare classes online. The online portal is only to change the fare basis of a S2S economy fare.

Historically I've had the call centre fee waived on a fare upgrade, but getting the call centre fee waived now simply because something can't be done online does seem increasingly difficult.

Last edited by sbiddle; Mar 16, 2017 at 2:55 pm
Old Mar 16, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

It's been awhile since I've done this but I don't recall any fees when upgrading TT. Thought it was free.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Historically I've had the call centre fee waived on a fare upgrade, but getting the call centre fee waived now simply because something can't be done online does seem increasingly difficult.
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
It's been awhile since I've done this but I don't recall any fees when upgrading TT. Thought it was free.

From NZ's FAQ on Tasman S2S Fares (https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/tasm...-smart-saver):

Booking change fee
NZD $100 per person (infants excluded) which is converted to local currency at time of change.
Waived if upgrading to Premium Economy or Business Premier on the same flight.

Additional fare difference
Payable.

Service fees for making booking changes
Payable (unless changing online).

The way I see it, while any booking change fee is waived when upgrading to PE or J, Service fee (i.e. getting the call centre to change your booking) is not exempt, as you can see in their wording... unless you do it online.

It is possible to upgrade a TT S2S fare to PE/J online... click on the "Change this booking" button/link under "Manage this booking" on your flight.

HOWEVER, it seems there are restrictions/odd conditions when this option is available. Looking at my bookings, I can do this on my -BNE and -OOL flights >week out, however on my -MEL flight next week, that option isn't available.

Also if I remember, flights NOT booked directly on Air NZ's website won't have "Change this booking" option available.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kamadan
It is possible to upgrade a TT S2S fare to PE/J online... click on the "Change this booking" button/link under "Manage this booking" on your flight.
Thanks for that just found you could do it that way, although seems cheaper to pay the service fee via the call centre?

Would be an whole lot simplier if you we're able to change it the same way you can do for Seat to the Works.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 9:27 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red

If I recall correctly, Works Deluxe isn't offered on flights where there is a Premium Economy cabin, which might explain why you can upgrade to Works Deluxe but not Premium Economy, as there is no Premium Economy to upgrade to - you'd have to change routing or scheduling.

Check the aircraft type. If it's a B777 or B787, you'll have PE but Works Deluxe will be "unavailable on this flight". If it's an A320 or B767, you'll have Works Deluxe but Premium Economy will be "unavailable on this flight".
Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
If I recall correctly, Works Deluxe isn't offered on flights where there is a Premium Economy cabin, which might explain why you can upgrade to Works Deluxe but not Premium Economy, as there is no Premium Economy to upgrade to - you'd have to change routing or scheduling.
Both are 77W/789 flights, so Works Deluxe is blocked off. Yet if its an A320 they allow it, why can't they just add Premium Economy to the seats to suits product upgrade options?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.