Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH or LAX to AKL - Any preference ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:43 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
I just went WLG-IAH return in premium. The flight to the US was about 65-70% full in economy and 50% full in premium. Many people in the sky couches were occupying them alone. I was wondering whether they had paid for them or the crew had just put them up for them. Coming back from Houston the plane was full. I didn't get an aisle seat in premium. To be honest I think an aisle seat in economy would have been more comfortable. The man in the aisle seat didn't move for about 7 hours. I found the flight at 14 hours too long for an over night flight. I won't do that flight again. I'd rather fly out of LAX on the shorter flight.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Ellice
I found the flight at 14 hours too long for an over night flight. I won't do that flight again. I'd rather fly out of LAX on the shorter flight.
I didn't find it too long a such, but I found the time between meals too long; I was starving about and hour and half before breakfast. After 2 weeks living off US restaurant food, the last thing I wanted was the snack of potato chips to fill the gap.

What snack do they offer in PE in between meals, the same as economy?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 2:43 pm

Agree with you on the American cuisine - after 2 weeks of it you're just hanging out for something green or some bread that doesn't have a sweet taste to it...
Also I'm sure the long flight from Houston would have been much more bearable in an aisle seat.

From memory the premium snack is just some dry, uninspired snacks in a packet like peanuts and pretzels. I'd advise you to get some snacks you like at the airport for the flight.

Last edited by Ellice; Feb 17, 2017 at 2:44 pm Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I fly IAH to AKL on Sunday in PE. I've only flown AKL to IAH before so it'll be the longest flight I've ever flown.

As a frequent PE pax I too am a little annoyed they don't have a proper snack. There isn't even fruit now in PE.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:28 pm

I'm sure it will be fine if you have an aisle seat but absolute torture if you have an inside seat in the middle seats block. I wish I had kept my row 59 economy seat as it looked more comfortable on the aisle when I walked down there.(but my upgrade had come through so I took it not realising how bad an inside seat is even in premium). Also towards the back people had an empty seat here and there next to them. Is there anyway you can see how full the flight is?
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I fly IAH to AKL on Sunday in PE. I've only flown AKL to IAH before so it'll be the longest flight I've ever flown.

As a frequent PE pax I too am a little annoyed they don't have a proper snack. There isn't even fruit now in PE.
My understanding is that PE has the same catering as J? So, I thought the snack would be the same too.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
My understanding is that PE has the same catering as J? So, I thought the snack would be the same too.
Nope. PE catering and dining has been cut back. Meals are still similar with fewer options, but there is no snack like the bacon roll that you can still get in BP.

Liquor has also been cut back. I asked for a Glenmorangie on my way to LAX and was told it's no longer available in PE. F/A gave me one and told me it's because I'm an Elite and asked nicely.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:09 am

Nope. PE catering and dining has been cut back. Meals are still similar with fewer options, but there is no snack like the bacon roll that you can still get in BP.

Liquor has also been cut back. I asked for a Glenmorangie on my way to LAX and was told it's no longer available in PE. F/A gave me one and told me it's because I'm an Elite and asked nicely.
I can understand having some distinction between PE and BP but this reeks of cutbacks upon cutbacks. Also somewhat annoying to see the lack of consistency where you are given undocumented perks for being Elite.

Last edited by codyc1515; Feb 20, 2017 at 2:30 am
Old Feb 18, 2017, 12:59 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by codyc1515
I can understand having some distinction between PE and BP but this reeks or cutbacks upon cutbacks. Also somewhat annoying to see the lack of consistency where you are given undocumented perks for being Elite.
I suspect it's an undocumented perk of having good manners, which are available to everyone. They've certainly worked for me as a silver and gold.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
AKL-IAH

How was your AKL-IAH flight? Doing the same in May. Sitting in Y, hoping to get into PE. Was the flight very full?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:22 am

Great flight with awesome crew. Haven't even had an Elite welcome on my last 2 long haul flights. FSM actually greeted all PE pax after she'd done BP. I flew in PE which had a couple of seats free, judging my the gate I suspect economy had quite a few.

Priority boarding was an absolute disaster.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by codyc1515
I can understand having some distinction between PE and BP but this reeks of cutbacks upon cutbacks. Also somewhat annoying to see the lack of consistency where you are given undocumented perks for being Elite.
The distinction is between Y and PE. BP has no relevance. And I assume you'll refuse the undocumented perks if you ever reach Elite? Quite right too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.