Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Which side to sit for best views AKL-ZQN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Looking forward to our first visit to New Zealand, and just wondering if there's a better side of the aircraft to sit on for views from AKL-ZQN. Looking at the flight maps on flightaware.com, it looks like sitting on the right side of the aircraft would give us the best views of the Southern Alps. It also looks like most flights into ZQN land to the west, so that side probably wouldn't give us a view of the Remarkables on the way in.

I'm sure most of you get to fly this route more regularly, what do you suggest?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Looking forward to our first visit to New Zealand, and just wondering if there's a better side of the aircraft to sit on for views from AKL-ZQN. Looking at the flight maps on flightaware.com, it looks like sitting on the right side of the aircraft would give us the best views of the Southern Alps. It also looks like most flights into ZQN land to the west, so that side probably wouldn't give us a view of the Remarkables on the way in.

I'm sure most of you get to fly this route more regularly, what do you suggest?
"A" window seats will have the best (and only view) of the Southern Alps, as the flight path typically tracks down the West Coast of NZ, so if you are on the right, you would only see water for much of the flight. In my experieince, early morning flights often land from the south, later in the day landing from the north; landing fromt he north seems to be the most common anyways

The Remarkables are better viewed from the airport itself on the ground IMO, rather than the air.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G
If you are after the view, Brenrox is absolutely correct - left hand side of the plane Window seat. On a good day you will get views of the North Island volcanoes (Taranaki in particular on this route), and some incredible views of Mt Cook and the glacier fields that surround and drop from the mountain. Any landing into Queenstown is good, and all afford that 'lower than the mountains around' feeling. Enjoy, it's a stunning area.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: NZ *G
For the majority of the flight I agree, but when it comes to the business end, the dramatic final 5-10 minutes, I think the right hand side F window seat is best.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by gratn
For the majority of the flight I agree, but when it comes to the business end, the dramatic final 5-10 minutes, I think the right hand side F window seat is best.
Agree. I prefer a right hand side window seat. You are much closer to the mountains on final descent than flying along the coast.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions, just booked seats on the A side of the plane. Here's to hoping for great views on the way down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.