Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airpoints booking query

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Airpoints booking query

I'm an NZ based Elite, trying to purchase flights using my Airpoints for someone on my gifting register. The flights are ex-Brisbane and when I try to do it online through the Aussie Air NZ website, it keeps sending me back to the NZ website when I enter my Airpoints details.

I used to be able to do this no problem, but has something changed recently as I can't figure out how to do it now.

Any advice?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I would be interested to know too. I just tried a booking, in attempting to go to the Australian site two options were offered; it seems to access your airpoints account you need to select the option to go the NZ site. In accessing the NZ site my airpoints details were not available nor people on my gifting register.

Very odd - and will be annoying if cant purchase using airpoints for flights ex-Australia.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Why are you trying to book on the Aussie site?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
In the past I used to book a flight back from AUS on the Australian site as sometimes better priced and I don't think you used to be able to book ex-AUS one way to NZ on the NZ site - now it seems you can?

(I haven't booked one of these for a year or so)
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:38 pm

You've been able to book flights ex AU on the NZ site for at least the last 2-3years.

When Air NZ were charging extra for return fares over 2x single OW fares on the NZ site for flights to AU from mid 2014 to mid 2015ish I used to book flights as 2 x OW fares on the NZ site to save being ripped off.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
If you are NZ based, you cannot buy fares ex AU using your Airpoints. It will send you back to the NZ site and it could be more expensive. The only way around this is temporarily change your profile address to AU and change it back once you have bought your ticket. Of course, you can't do this too many times as they may charge you a fee for changing your country of residence more than once a year, or something like that.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If you are NZ based, you cannot buy fares ex AU using your Airpoints. It will send you back to the NZ site and it could be more expensive. The only way around this is temporarily change your profile address to AU and change it back once you have bought your ticket. Of course, you can't do this too many times as they may charge you a fee for changing your country of residence more than once a year, or something like that.
Ah that's annoying, as you used to be able to do this.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why are you trying to book on the Aussie site?
Booking flights ex-Brisbane.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by smeags_nz
Booking flights ex-Brisbane.
But why on the AU site? You can book these on the NZ site.

To book on the AU site you'll need to charge your address as detailed above.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
But why on the AU site? You can book these on the NZ site.

To book on the AU site you'll need to charge your address as detailed above.
Some ex-AU sale fares are not available on the NZ site.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:42 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Another option is to call up and book via call centre. You probably won't get any website only fares though.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:45 am

The AU site is usually cheaper and they also have more frequent sales compared to the NZ version. In the last 6 months I've seen flights between BNE - ZQN go on sale 3 times on the NZ site but we've had 7 good sales on the AU site including business fairs that rarely go on sale on the NZ site.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:58 pm

and presumably AirNZ does not want NZ-based passengers to access those good AUS deals
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
and presumably AirNZ does not want NZ-based passengers to access those good AUS deals
There is nothing stopping any customer from buying fares from any other Air NZ site.

There are however restrictions on what site you can use if you want to buy fares or gift using APD as your account is tied to the country you give as your home address and tied to that country's site.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by EatDuck
The AU site is usually cheaper and they also have more frequent sales compared to the NZ version. In the last 6 months I've seen flights between BNE - ZQN go on sale 3 times on the NZ site but we've had 7 good sales on the AU site including business fairs that rarely go on sale on the NZ site.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with that. Maybe on a specific sector that could be the case, but over the course of last year NZ discounting to AU was happening about as often as a sale at Briscoes.

Observations from friends in Australia last year in both Melbourne and Sydney was that there was not a lot of discounting from AU, and they were often buying fares on the NZ site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.